Cooper AT3 review - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 21 Old 06-13-2018 Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2010 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Cooper AT3 review

Well after some time with the AT3's I have to say they are not going to stay on much longer. They have started to cup and make tons of noise. I have made sure there was nothing else wrong of course. Checked suspension, alignment and so on. Everything is in tip top shape. The tire shop was never able to balance at least 1-2 wheels properly so I did have a slight vibration which was annoying.

I moved the fronts to rears and that solved that issues but of course I know they are vibrating on rear. Now, the tires are so loud that I am going to have to replace them. I can't stand it and I am sure it is sucking at the MPG. I am experiencing a whomp whomp sound at low speeds and and overall loud noise at highway. It is 100% the tires. Now before you say, these are A/T tires so they will make noise, I get it. But they were not noisy at all for the first few thousand miles and the tread on this tire is not super aggressive so it should not be making this much noise. I have pressures set at OEM Spec or slightly above since these are LT tires.

So, I am looking for new tires. General comes to mind. I am now running LT245/70/17 and will move to LT265/65/17, Although the 245/70 gives me a boost in height it also throws the car off with handling. It is not very stable with a 70 series tire and since I (most of us) spend more time on roads I'd prefer a better tire that is safer on the highway but can do the things off-road for that 10% time.

Looking at:

Goodyear Wrangler with Kevlar

BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2

General Grabber APT

Hankook Dynapro AT-M

Sumitomo Encounter AT's are intriguing and the cheapest, so not positive.

So, I am done with cooper at this point. The fact they are getting louder with very few miles on them, approx: 20K these are obviously not the tire I thought they were. I am sure it has something to do with the install and balance from the meat heads at the Big O tire in my podunk town.

10' TDI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 06-13-2018 Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfissimo View Post
Well after some time with the AT3's I have to say they are not going to stay on much longer. They have started to cup and make tons of noise. I have made sure there was nothing else wrong of course. Checked suspension, alignment and so on. Everything is in tip top shape. The tire shop was never able to balance at least 1-2 wheels properly so I did have a slight vibration which was annoying.

I moved the fronts to rears and that solved that issues but of course I know they are vibrating on rear. Now, the tires are so loud that I am going to have to replace them. I can't stand it and I am sure it is sucking at the MPG. I am experiencing a whomp whomp sound at low speeds and and overall loud noise at highway. It is 100% the tires. Now before you say, these are A/T tires so they will make noise, I get it. But they were not noisy at all for the first few thousand miles and the tread on this tire is not super aggressive so it should not be making this much noise. I have pressures set at OEM Spec or slightly above since these are LT tires.

So, I am looking for new tires. General comes to mind. I am now running LT245/70/17 and will move to LT265/65/17, Although the 245/70 gives me a boost in height it also throws the car off with handling. It is not very stable with a 70 series tire and since I (most of us) spend more time on roads I'd prefer a better tire that is safer on the highway but can do the things off-road for that 10% time.

Looking at:

Goodyear Wrangler with Kevlar

BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2

General Grabber APT

Hankook Dynapro AT-M

Sumitomo Encounter AT's are intriguing and the cheapest, so not positive.

So, I am done with cooper at this point. The fact they are getting louder with very few miles on them, approx: 20K these are obviously not the tire I thought they were. I am sure it has something to do with the install and balance from the meat heads at the Big O tire in my podunk town.
Found similar experiences here: https://expeditionportal.com/forum/t....155783/page-3

10' TDI
post #3 of 21 Old 06-13-2018 Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic

FALKEN WILDPEAK AT3W are very tempting.

10' TDI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 06-13-2018
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2008 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Can't afford one
Very disappointing to read your experience with the LT Cooper AT3 as I've just purchased a set in LT265/65R17, only done a couple of hundred kms with them so far and they seem very quiet and noise only becomes noticeable when running at over 110kph.

The tyre fitter initially set mine at 40psi which I thought was a little high so I dropped mine to 36 front and 38 rears, what tyre pressure do you run yours at?

I have a TPMS fitted so plan on adjusting pressures till I get no more than a 4-5 degree temperature increase when the tyres are at normal operating temperature.

Will make a follow up post on my thoughts as I get more mileage on the tyres and get a better understanding on their overall performance.

TonyB

MY08 V6TDi, Atacama Grey, Air Suspension, Bi-Xenons
Enhancements: OEM Paddle Shifters, OEM Tow Pack, OEM LED load Module, Red Arc Tow Pro Elite Brake Controller, Icom IC-440 UHF, 6 Spot 17Z Front Brakes, FM100 Aux fuel filter + water alarm, Pro Vent catch can, 20" Road Tyres + spare, 17" A/T Off-road tyres + 2 x full size spares, AG Custom alloy underbody front+ centre+rear alloy protection plates.

MY08 V6TDi, Campanella White
My first Touareg love affair, found a new home locally.
post #5 of 21 Old 06-13-2018 Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic

I am running factory spec for the TDI. I can't recall right now but will check in a few and report.

I have tried higher and lower pressures. Nothing helps and they are not able to balance them correctly. These tires are so noisy, low and high speed.

I think I am going to complain and have them sent back to cooper and get something else like Hankook Dynapro ATM, Falken Wildpeak or go back to Michelin Defender M+S which had 0 issues like this. I think Hankook will be a better choice.

10' TDI
post #6 of 21 Old 06-13-2018
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2008 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Can't afford one
Yes I agree as I was happy with my Hankooks.

I had a set of LT245/70R17's which were replaced by the AT3's, they were my dedicated towing/offroad tyre and took a bit of abuse without any damage to the rubber but after some 40,000kms they were becoming noticeably louder, wear rate was very good also with only 4mm of wear and still looked new. Overall I was very happy with them.

The Coopers were not my first choice as I was ready to pull the trigger on a set of 265/60R18 Michelin ATX Force but found a set of 5 AT3's at a price that I just could not walk away from, I still have the set of 18 rims sitting on my shelf.
If I have any issues with the Coopers I will go back to plan "A".

TonyB

MY08 V6TDi, Atacama Grey, Air Suspension, Bi-Xenons
Enhancements: OEM Paddle Shifters, OEM Tow Pack, OEM LED load Module, Red Arc Tow Pro Elite Brake Controller, Icom IC-440 UHF, 6 Spot 17Z Front Brakes, FM100 Aux fuel filter + water alarm, Pro Vent catch can, 20" Road Tyres + spare, 17" A/T Off-road tyres + 2 x full size spares, AG Custom alloy underbody front+ centre+rear alloy protection plates.

MY08 V6TDi, Campanella White
My first Touareg love affair, found a new home locally.
post #7 of 21 Old 06-13-2018
The Moderator!

Second Vehicle: a bicycle
I ran the AT3's before going to my Hankooks. I had two sets of them only because they were cheap and never met tread wear warranty. They would always prorate the new set so never paid full price. I got the Hankook's because they had a special going on when I needed new tires. I like them so far, but have had no real experience off road with them yet. I run as you know the 245/70/17 on mine, but only because I wanted a narrower tire for snow. Taller was good for making the speedo dead on accurate now, but it slows down the odometer. Good side effect imo. I may have more miles on my car than what is indicated, but no on will know.

2010 Alaska Grey/Anthracite V6 TDI- Lux,Tech, Air and Hitch
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

04 Offroad Grey V6, gone, but will never be forgotten.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 21 Old 06-14-2018 Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic

Well, My experience so far is they are terrible and it is a common issue what I am experiencing. I read all over that they have balance issues. I am taking them back this week. They are junk.

I am going to bitch to BigO next week and trade them out for Dynapro. Going with 265/65/17. 245/70/17 is tall and skinny, does not handle well either.

10' TDI
post #9 of 21 Old 06-14-2018
The Moderator!

Second Vehicle: a bicycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfissimo View Post
Well, My experience so far is they are terrible and it is a common issue what I am experiencing. I read all over that they have balance issues. I am taking them back this week. They are junk.

I am going to bitch to BigO next week and trade them out for Dynapro. Going with 265/65/17. 245/70/17 is tall and skinny, does not handle well either.
They handle fine for me, but I have air suspension too. I can't remember if you do or not.

2010 Alaska Grey/Anthracite V6 TDI- Lux,Tech, Air and Hitch

04 Offroad Grey V6, gone, but will never be forgotten.
post #10 of 21 Old 06-14-2018 Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic

No. But it should not be a drastic difference from air to springs. It's fine. I am going with Dynapro ATM's in a 265/65/17 this time around since I am moving from Flagstaff asap. Not like we get snow here anymore anyway. I like the extra height bit the skinny tire looks funny. Like an orange on a toothpick.

I am at 30.6" with the 265/65/17, 245/70 @30.5

10' TDI

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode