Brake Pad + Rotor recommendation - Page 3 - Club Touareg Forums

post #21 of 35 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by VD-CH View Post
Sorry for the stupid question but bear in mind it's my first time replacing the brakes on a car...

What should I do to immobilize the car when replacing the brakes?
I don't want to discourage you from doing your own wrenching, but based on that question & statement, are you sure that you have all the necessary tools and knowledge to tackle this yourself? The task itself is not the most technical but it is super imperative that you do it correctly since it is what stops your vehicle...... Are you even mechanically inclined enough to figure out what needs to be disassembled and in what order to take the calipers\mounts\rotors off? Do you have service manuals that you'll be following?

I'm not really sure what you mean by immobilizing, but any time you lift any corner of a vehicle you need to ensure that it will not move..... being on flat, solid ground, choking the wheels, using jack stands, etc. are all basic and important safety factors.

You may want to educate yourself on this brake job task prior to just ripping things apart, or you may find yourself overwhelmed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 35 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2004 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Thanks for your concern TurboABA, much appreciated.

I've done a number of mechanicals repairs on the Touareg myself, just never done a brake job.

Flat solid surface, jack stands and wheel chocks are all things that I've already thought of and done. As far as I know, from all the Touareg Tutorials I've followed on YouTube, I have all the necessary tools.

Sorry for not being clear enough though in my previous post what I meant: is, for the rear rotors, having the car in P and the wheel in chocks enough from having it move, given that you still need to apply quite a bit of torque to loosen (and tighten) some of the bolts?
post #23 of 35 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
Typically you break loose your lugs prior to lifting the wheels off the ground...... once you have the vehicle on jack stands it's "SOLID" so you can apply torque until you go blue in the face......
I haven't messed around with the parking brake on these yet, but I believe there's some VCDS process involved in calibrating the system or setting the shoes properly......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 35 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Touareg Guru

Touareg: 2006 V8
Second Vehicle: 2004 V6
Garage
^^Early gen with mechanical parking brakes require no VCDS. If you have the mechanical parking brake lever, all is good.

Later Gens with the electronic parking brake (and push button switch) require the use use of VCDS to put the brakes in service position. Failure to do so risks needing a new replacement parking brake motor, which is roughly $500 per side.
post #25 of 35 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2006 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Quote:
Originally Posted by VD-CH View Post
Sorry for the stupid question but bear in mind it's my first time replacing the brakes on a car...

What should I do to immobilize the car when replacing the brakes?
Well no question is stupid, one is always learning. So since one can not be too sure about working under such a heavy vehicle and you have only one life to enjoy the Teg, what I did was I put the wheel I had taken off under the car just as added safety. The rear brakes are the toughest to work on, there is not room enough to apply force appropriately. In my case, I already had an air compressor so I went out an bought a 300 ft-lb impact wrench, it took me fair number of blows to open the bolt, seemed like the previous mechanic must have "hung him self" when tightening the brake caliper.

If you buy the brake set from the shop in Massachusetts, he also sends you a new set of bolts so if you damage one while fighting with it you can always put in the new one. Also, make sure you have a torque wrench at hand.

My baby: 1969 300SEL 6.3
post #26 of 35 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Touareg: 2006 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: 2015 V6 TDI
Garage
VD-CH -

Too bad you are in Switzerland. I have 3 Powerstop front brake kits I'm selling from Texas.

They are for the 04-2008 V10 TDI with 18Z Calipers

Power Stop Kit K4558 Front Z23 Evolution Brake Kit with Drilled/Slotted Rotors and Ceramic Brake Pads

I love them on my Treg. Anyone else interested in a great $150 deal on great front brake setup, contact me.
post #27 of 35 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

Due to availability and cost I'll need to order BOSCH rotors and BREMBO pads.

How come the front rotors are not identical??

About the pads...

BREMBO

Front: P 85 065 16mm x 190mm x 106mm
Rear: P 85 070 16mm x 112mm x 73mm

Sounds about right?
post #28 of 35 Old 2 Weeks Ago
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
The discs/rotors are ventilated so they are handed left and right to ensure at as the car is travelling forward they suck in the cooling air through what is effectively a cast iron fan.

Make sure you fit the new discs on the correct side by looking at the old discs before you remove them!

The OEM equipment is Brembo discs and Pagid pads. Pagid makes the pads for Brembo as the latter has no friction material production capability.

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA & facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 & facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7 [Not available in "VW Atlas" North America!]
Read Wikipedia:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

T1 & T2 buyers MUST read:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Use Google or Bing to search by typing in: site:
followed by what you seek
post #29 of 35 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

Would there be any reason why I shouldn't go for a combination of BOSCH rotors and BREMBO pads?

Should I just shell out the extra 50-100 bucks total to have 4x BREMBOs?
post #30 of 35 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Touareg: 2012 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: too many to list
Garage
that's your call.
I'm not sure about Bosch rotors, who makes them, etc.
I'd personally spend the extra cash.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode