BRAKE Fault stop vehicle - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 6 Old 02-22-2018 Thread Starter

Exclamation BRAKE Fault stop vehicle

Hi there I'm new to the forum. Our Touareg '06 V8 is locked up at the moment. My wife went to go to work and found the display reading Brake Fault etc...and the shifter locked down. I read a few threads on here and after checking the carpet driver side it is quite damp and some on here suggested that might mess with the wiring. I checked the brake fluid and that all seemed as it should be. I did come across this wire that I've attached a pic of and for the life of me I can't figure out what it might connect to or where it goes? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Also, I believe the water is dripping from below the dash. Again, I read on here that it could be an overflowing "pollen tray". Could someone tell me how to fix that? Is it simply getting a hex screwdriver and taking off the dash pieces to access it and replace it?

Anyway, Thanks in Advance! I am going to mark this urgent as we need this vehicle to get up and running to get to work and transport the kiddos as soon as possible.

Billy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Touareg Driver side wire.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	208010  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-22-2018
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
I think that lead might be the connection for the in-transit charger the cars were fitted with when they were being shipped to the US so when they arrived they could always be started to avoid delays when unloading the ship.

If the pollen filter is wet then the drains in the plenum chamber/bulkhead are probably blocked so you will need to clear those first.

There is a pictorial how-to on the UK based site www.mytreg.com but that seems to be down at the moment so I can't find the link for you. Try again in a short while.

The other reason for water in the by the heater cabin is a blocked or dislodged pipe that takes the aircon condensate away.

Here's the pollen filter how-to:

https://www.carcarekiosk.com/video/2..._cabin/replace

The next thing you need to do is to put the car on VCDS to read the actual fault codes.

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA & facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 & facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7 [Not available in "VW Atlas" North America!]
Read Wikipedia:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

T1 & T2 buyers MUST read:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Use Google or Bing to search by typing in: site:
followed by what you seek
post #3 of 6 Old 02-22-2018 Thread Starter

Thx NoobyToogy! I'll look into it some more and see how we go. Will post back as soon as possible with what I find.

Thanks again!
B.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 02-23-2018
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2008 R5 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobytoogy View Post
I think that lead might be the connection for the in-transit charger the cars were fitted with when they were being shipped to the US so when they arrived they could always be started to avoid delays when unloading the ship.
I think the wires look too thin for charging, and I doubt they'd bundle the charging cables with the regular harness anyway, as the former could get very hot, and would require better electric insulation.

On the other side the connector very much looks like those used for the temperature and pressure sensors in the engine bay. Because of that I think this might be for one of the many cabin temperature (or possibly air quality) sensors.

But then again, this is just my best guess. Don't quote me on this! A VCDS scan could definitely give more appropriate clues on to what sensor the car thinks is disconnected or appears faulty.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-23-2018
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2008 R5 TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBaroo View Post
Hi there I'm new to the forum. Our Touareg '06 V8 is locked up at the moment. My wife went to go to work and found the display reading Brake Fault etc...and the shifter locked down.
Did you check the battery voltage? Maybe it's way too low.

Quote:
Also, I believe the water is dripping from below the dash. Again, I read on here that it could be an overflowing "pollen tray". Could someone tell me how to fix that? Is it simply getting a hex screwdriver and taking off the dash pieces to access it and replace it?
You will need not hex, but Torx drivers for that. Actually a T20 driver/head for the pollen filter cover. If you're there, you can check whether the aforementioned A/C drain is connected properly to the air box.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-22-2018

Touareg: 2004 R5 TDI
Short video of my cars fix. Started to work after the wires were reconnected.

2004 R5 2.5TDI with 6 speed manual gearbox trailer towing machine with modifications to lower fuel consumption.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode