Touareg: 2007 V10 TDI
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Colorado, USA
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Air suspension, compressor won't shut off!
Apologies if the answer is here somewhere but I haven't been able to find it yet. Anyway, I've been working on getting my air suspension working properly again. Currently, it appears that the compressor won't shut off, I think from the high pressure switch? Here's the list of events so far.
Warning: Running Gear and then eventually Fault: Running gear.
1. I started looking at the system and noticed high duty cycle and related VCDS errors.
2. Looking at the compressor, I found that the brown tire extension had blown off and had a hole in it. During this time, I ended up replacing the compressor piston head, ring, and refreshed the dryer material as well. The head needed replaced as the threads to the elbow that connects to the tire pressure outlet were stripped. The fixed brown hose, was stretched and ended up getting a new hole created from hot compressor, I think.
3. brought new brown output hose for tire outlet. Cleared the alarms, and the air compressor started, unit shows pressure building in VCDS, while I had everything apart the compressor seemed to stop. I put everything back together and test out. This time the compressor seems to not stop, have to pull the connector to the compressor by the valve block to kill the compressor running.
4. I check the relay (373) D3 behind the dash, and confirms that it is triggering using the 12v across the terminals, continuity starts and stops as expected from 12v current.
5. I plug everything back in and test again. The compressor builds up pressure until about 18.3 or 18.6 bar and then the output that goes to the suspension blows out of the compressor! Additionally, I can't seem to get it to stay in now. Needs a new connection? How to fix?
6. I pull the solenoid to see if it is stuck, but everything seems to be normal, I plan to test with 12V to see if it triggers.
Currently, I am thinking that there is a trigger that should occur, probably somewhere around 18bar?, that causes the solenoid to trigger and the compressor to turn off. However, I have no idea where it would be if it exists. Additionally, I'm not sure what my next steps would be at this point. Any help would be greatly appreciated at this time.
Thanks everyone for your input.