AIR suspension compressor running continuously - POP and hiss - Club Touareg Forums
 4Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 51 Old 11-18-2018 Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Touareg: Still looking
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: UK sunny South
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Posts: 28
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
AIR suspension compressor running continuously - POP and hiss

Please help, my Porsche Cayenne Turbo S 2006.

I went for a short drive today approx 10 miles. During the drive I could here the air suspension compressor running all the time. So I stopped and it was running, turned off the engine and still running, I turned around and headed home and got back to my house approx 10miles around trip.

I could here the compressor running, turned off the engine and it was still running (ignition key was in), I could here the compressor running but slowing down (like it had loads of pressure in the line), I frantically looked for the fuse - couldn't find it.

The compressor really slowed down, so i pulled out the ignition key, then 'POP' like a line blew off and the compressor was still running but hissing. The POP came from the compressor area. I still couldn't find the fuse and shortly after the compressor STOPPED.

I eventually found the relay it was buried in the dash, i pulled it out and tested the coil for the relay and it was good and clicking on off on off when i applied 12v.

I hooked the main relay switch contact to 100w12v bulb and repeated the test, the bulb didn't light. I pulled the cover off the relay and the contacts were really really pitted / melted if I pushed the contact down the bulb would light up - I'm pretty sure the relay is knackered and I need a new one.

It sounds like the relay got jammed on some how and wouldn't release, hence it was running with the key out of the ignition.

What about the compressor ? any ideas / comments

thanks in advance

Andy
UK
Zebravanman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 51 Old 11-18-2018
Touareg Guru
 
Touareg: 2006 V8
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Wytheville VA USA
Second Vehicle: 2004 V6
Posts: 3,393
Thanks: 157
Thanked 319 Times in 279 Posts
Garage
It sounds like you are going to need a new relay, just for starters. That relay is a very common failure point.

The air lines are easy to fix. It sounds like a repair will be needed. I would start this process by trying to find where the pop and hiss happened. If you are really lucky, you might be able to just put a line back into a connector where it popped out.

If you are not lucky, it is a standard type of air line. Not the easiest stuff to find, but you can buy new replacement line and repair connectors for the line in the aftermarket.

Be glad you caught it early. Most leave the compressor running. Sometime around 25 to 30 minutes of straight running, the compressor will freeze up. At that point you would be buying everything above plus a replacement compressor.

No guarantee, but I give you a 80% chance of reusing the compressor as it is, for what that is worth. Since you caught the compressor before it died and seized, I will break the remaining 20% down to 90% chance a rebuild kit would fix it (under $50) and a small 10% chance that it will need a replacement compressor.

Odds are pretty good for you though. If you had stopped it before the line blew, then a relay would have fixed it. Now you need to fix the line (which might be really easy if you are lucky) and get a relay.

After the above is done, we will be able to watch the compressor and determine if any compressor work is needed.
nickyt is offline  
post #3 of 51 Old 11-18-2018 Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Touareg: Still looking
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: UK sunny South
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Posts: 28
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
OK mate thanks for the detailed response.

Just to be clear.....i did not stop the compressor, it stopped itself, maybe there is an over temp sensor on it or something which stopped it or it just gave up or the fuse blew - i don't know at this moment. I was running with the pipe blown off because it was running and hissing.

I couldn't find the fuse or relay in time, it stopped itself. I'm not going to be able to inspect / remove it until next weekend now so I will look into buying a rebuild kit for it, may as well if I am going to take it off the car.
Zebravanman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 51 Old 11-18-2018
Touareg Guru
 
Touareg: 2006 V8
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Wytheville VA USA
Second Vehicle: 2004 V6
Posts: 3,393
Thanks: 157
Thanked 319 Times in 279 Posts
Garage
There is a temp sensor on the compressor. The system does have a over heat safety. What I am not sure if a redundant safety is built onto the pump, or if the only safety is if the air suspension controller in the touareg seeing a high reading from the temp sensor and then telling the relay to cut power to the compressor.

In you situation, the above will make a difference.

Nothing has changed in the above post except the odds of you needing to purchase a compressor has went up. Otherwise, continue with the plan. Purchase the relay and find that air leak.

Compressors can be purchased from many places. VW will have the highest priced units. Places like Arnott will have mid priced options with a warranty. Ebay will have some units really cheap. Ebay might be worth taking a chance on, but they will have short if any warranty and many users have reported they are the loudest of the options.

Anyway, we are getting ahead of ourselves. We don't yet know if we fried the compressor. Best luck and keep posting on your progress.
nickyt is offline  
post #5 of 51 Old 11-18-2018
Touareg Addict
 
Touareg: 2008 V8
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Colorado, United States
Second Vehicle: Other
Posts: 2,065
Thanks: 1
Thanked 136 Times in 132 Posts
You can get a new compressor for ~$200 USD in north america. I suspect they're also available in your country for a similar price.

X2 on repairing the lines. Shouldn't be too hard to find the break.

VW recommends replacing the relay any time the compressor is replaced.

I don't know if it's necessary to bleed the pressure from the air struts, but I always do before messing around with the compressor. You will have to bleed the air from the reservoir in the future if you ever remove the compressor. Obviously this time, that is not necessary.

BTW, you can bleed the reservoir via VCDS.

2008 V8
No VCDS? Get it here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
FSJ Guy is offline  
post #6 of 51 Old 11-21-2018 Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Touareg: Still looking
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: UK sunny South
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Posts: 28
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I bought a new Relay from Audi 20 !
I looked at the old one and although it appeared to work but it wouldn't flow any current through the main contacts even though you could here them clicking. Wiring up a 100w bulb showed it didn't light up and the contacts were really really pitted and it looked like it could get stuck as it did.

I have removed the compressor and i have found the brown 6mm pipe has blown off the compressor output taking the inside of the fitting with it, my question is :-

Does anyone know what this fitting is and where to buy (UK ) from, what are the dimensions of the threads ? I might be able to get one locally. I phoned Audi and they recognise it but there are not any in the UK and it will have to come from Germany.

Oh - when you remove the compressor the suspension collapses ! be aware !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181118_214415_resized_20181121_072904365.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	163.0 KB
ID:	219317   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181118_214438_resized_20181121_072903386.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	194.1 KB
ID:	219319  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181121_171103_resized_20181121_072903655.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	405.1 KB
ID:	219321   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181121_173857_resized_20181121_072904044.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	304.5 KB
ID:	219323  

nickyt likes this.
Zebravanman is offline  
post #7 of 51 Old 11-21-2018
Touareg Guru
 
Touareg: 2006 V8
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Wytheville VA USA
Second Vehicle: 2004 V6
Posts: 3,393
Thanks: 157
Thanked 319 Times in 279 Posts
Garage
You can start by looking at some of the parts available on-line. Locally, you would look for a commercial supplier for pneumatic and air hoses.

Touareg 2004-2010 (7L) Air Suspension Parts & Conversion Kits
I added a few pics from RMT. The first is a coupler to fix a broke line. The second is a repair kit to fix a line that broke near a screw in connection. They also sell the line and the connectors separately.

https://www.carid.com/volkswagen-tou...ir-suspension/

Air Supply - Spare parts around the air suspension
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LR00-A320-AD4U-v1__66525.1477670150.500.480.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	219325   Click image for larger version

Name:	LR00_A323_AD4U_v1__13325.1440094428.500.480.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	219327  

nickyt is offline  
post #8 of 51 Old 11-21-2018
Touareg Addict
 
Touareg: 2008 V8
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Colorado, United States
Second Vehicle: Other
Posts: 2,065
Thanks: 1
Thanked 136 Times in 132 Posts
That rotating elbow black fitting IS available from VW.

Part # 7L0 616 725 A

I got mine for less than $30 USD in 2017.

2008 V8
No VCDS? Get it here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
FSJ Guy is offline  
post #9 of 51 Old 11-21-2018
Touareg Addict
 
4ePikanini's Avatar
 
Touareg: 2005 R5 TDI
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: South Africa, East London
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Posts: 1,852
Thanks: 4
Thanked 49 Times in 45 Posts
For future reference. Move the front left seat all the way up and forward. Then go in from the back - there is a big orange blade fuse. That's the compressor fuse. 40 amps.

Carry a spare!

All vw/audi engines must use 507.00 spec oil except non-DPF R5/V10 engines that must use 505.01/506.01
93 Pajero GLS 3.0 V6 LWB - SOLD
2001 Gen3 Di-D LWB - SOLD
2005 Touareg 2.5 TDi Air & Bi-Xenon
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
4ePikanini is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to 4ePikanini For This Useful Post:
Fourdiesel (11-24-2018)
post #10 of 51 Old 11-24-2018 Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Touareg: Still looking
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: UK sunny South
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Posts: 28
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
All fixed and back on the road. I could not get hold of the M7 fitting in the UK, even Audi couldn't get hold of it.

The new fitting (readily available) was drilled and tapped 1/8 BSP to 6mm push in (good for 20bar) and pressure and leak tested. A long way round to fix but cost only 3 from a local hydraulics company. I fitted a new piston ring kit as well whilst I was in there.

Some photos
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181122_082239_resized_20181124_023514968.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	507.5 KB
ID:	219401   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181122_082443_resized_20181124_023513716.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	526.9 KB
ID:	219403  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181122_135745_resized_20181124_023514565.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	358.8 KB
ID:	219405  
nickyt likes this.
Zebravanman is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 

VW Touareg News Delivered to your Email!

Stay up-to-date with Touareg news in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]