Air gap adjustment - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 8 Old 08-29-2018 Thread Starter

Air gap adjustment

Hi, haven’t really found anything on what to look for. Trying to adjust my e brake air gap adjustment as they are way out and my car is reading fault codes of non calibrated, no basic settings. Anyone have an idea how to do this??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-29-2018
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2012 Hybrid
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Garage
you will need to remove brake rotor bolt, not necessarily the rotor depending on what wheels you have, to access the adjustment nut. There's a formula that you can use to calculate how many turns from the air gap shown in VCDS, but I don't have it on my work computer, but a little trial and error should get you there.

in the future, when servicing the shoe, it's better to mark where the spring and the nut contact.

2012 Touareg Hybrid
post #3 of 8 Old 08-29-2018 Thread Starter

Yep tried that last night. Pulled off the wheel and the plug bolt on the rotar. Couldn’t find anything resembling a screw or something like that through any of the holes (tire bolt holes and plug hole). It’s my rear right on my 2011 Touareg if that helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 08-29-2018 Thread Starter

There’s two extra bolts, ones a big one T45 screw type and he other plug one I took off was a T27. I never pulled off the bigger one as I wasn’t sure if it would loosen the rotar too much. I’m thinking maybe that one is the entrance hole I need to see the adjustment screw? The T27 is closer to the edge and the T45 closer to middle
post #5 of 8 Old 08-29-2018 Thread Starter

Ok I figured it out. Only thing is now when I go to calibrate it with Vcds, it keeps saying aborted to safety reasons. Fault code of “overheat protection”. Sorry for all the questions first time doing this. Should I get these the same air gap before calibrating? Should they only be in the range of 1.9-2.3 or whateve it is? I just don’t want to screw this up. Thanks for the help
post #6 of 8 Old 08-29-2018
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Someone else who is a pretty capable guy with the spanners and VCDS simply took his car to the dealer to reset the electric parking brake as he figured it would be a lot cheaper than buggering things up !

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA & facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 & facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7 [Not available in "VW Atlas" North America!]
Read Wikipedia:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

T1 & T2 buyers MUST read:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Use Google or Bing to search by typing in: site:
followed by what you seek
post #7 of 8 Old 08-29-2018
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2012 Hybrid
Garage
what service did you do to the handbrake? I think the service manual calls for basic setting and then unplugging the electric motor before doing anything mechanical. The electric motor might be confused if basic setting wasn't used or someone tried to turn on accessories while the shoe is open.

2012 Touareg Hybrid
post #8 of 8 Old 09-01-2018 Thread Starter

I haven’t done anything really. The last year it threw a fault only when engaged but always worked. Now it throws a continuous fault until I make it above 60km/hr then stops but still works. My mechanic pulled it apart and I am going to buy new shoes for the e brake as these ones are ok/close to the end but I’d rather have new ones. Those should be installed within a few days. By resetting do you mean simply unplugging the motor that runs the parking brake? Sounds simple enough to reset it lol.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode