275 45 20 Cooper Discovery H/T Plus review - Club Touareg Forums
 2Likes

post #1 of 16 Old 03-19-2019 Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: 2015 V6 TDI
275 45 20 Cooper Discovery H/T Plus review

It was time to go in another direction with tires. I had been buying with not much regard to price and just wanted what was/is considered "the best" or close to it.

Both my wife's 2015 TDI Exec and my 2012 TDI Exec came with the Goodyear LS2 and while they were ok, they only lasted right around 20,000 miles, in fact, all the tires we've been using have only been able to get from 20,000 to 25,000 miles. As it is, I just put the third set of tires on my wife's 2015 and the truck only has 44,457 miles on it. Again, the LS2's worked well but the replacement price makes the tires the most expensive tires in 275 45 20.

The Pirelli Scorpion Verde A/S Plus were also good but again, barely lasted 20,000 miles.

I am running the same Pirelli Scorpion Verde A/S Plus in the same size as they started on my 2012 TDI before I sent it back to VW and kept both the tires and the wheels and they are running on my 2016 Cayenne Diesel and I'm pretty sure that sometime this summer or fall they will need to be replaced but the OEM Michelin Latitude's had, yes, once again, lasted about 20,000 miles.

Same with the Continental DSW Extreme Contact-NOT the 06's, and while they were also great, had only lasted, drum-roll-please, 20,000 or so miles and were done.

In light of all these tires that go right around $200 per tire, sometimes a little more, I decided to try the Cooper Discovery H/T Plus for $150-each and paid another $100 to have them mounted and balanced. I did have to go around and loosen all the lug bolts as they were all overtightened as the guys at the local gomeria just air impacted them on but I was able to loosen them all up with a breaker bar and then took a couple revolutions to get them all to 133 ft lbs. I had taken the truck up onto the highway and was happy when at all speeds up to 92 mph, had the truck rock steady with no vibration or anything coming through either the chassis or the steering wheel-success.

I had also made sure to set the tire pressures to the recommended 33 Front and 39 Rear and the truck is happy as the Scorpion Verde A/S Plus were totally bald on the outsides of the front tires and the rears were even below the wear bars. It was very surprising to me at how fast the tires wear once they are close to the wear bars.

If these tires get 20,000 miles, and work well in the rain, which they should as the tread pattern is like every other one out there and the treads are nice and deep, but if the tires check out, they might be my next tire.

Oh yeah, out on the highway, the tires were the same as all the others I had in the past, quiet, smooth and even though they were new, I was pushing them on the on/off ramps and around the corners after stop signs or left/right-hand turns to help "scrub them in".

I'll bet that if I ask my wife what she thinks, she will just be glad that there are new tires as she gives a full 0% of thought as to all the parameters that us hardcore forum guys are obsessed with. I'm getting to where she is but I still do care a little. More after some rain drives as I am planning on using her truck to tow the snowmobile trailer up north this upcoming weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 03-20-2019 Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic

Wife reported a 100% better-difference this morning. How she is taking turns/curves, I. Do. Not. Know.

I do know that I had tried hard last night to get the tires to break loose on hard cornering and got some howl but otherwise, the tires are, well, tires and they hold up.

They are T-Rated to like 119 mph but about the fastest cruise is 80-85mph so I'm not in the least bit worried about that rating. All we want is 20,000 miles and for good roadholding in the rain.
post #3 of 16 Old 03-20-2019
Touareg Guru

Second Vehicle: is not a VW
You should run tires in for a couple of hundred miles - no hard cornering, no hard acceleration and no hard braking!

It's also wise to go a bit steady anyway after new tires are fitted to wear off the tire mould release solution which can cause a tire to slide unexpectedly on a wet road.

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA & facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 & facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7 [Not available in "VW Atlas" North America!]
Read Wikipedia:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

T1 & T2 buyers MUST read:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Use Google or Bing to search by typing in: site:
followed by what you seek
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 03-20-2019
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2014 V6 FSI
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
I need to order new summer tires myself for my '14 Exec next month. My Goodyear's got far more than 20K though. Probably in the high 30s. I run snows from about January to April and I have ~68k on the odometer right now. Anyhow, I was considering Yokohama Parada Spec X at $154ea. Anyone have experience with these? I'll be watching your thread too for updates as I get closer to purchasing.
post #5 of 16 Old 03-20-2019

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Just curious, why did you choose the H/T instead of the SRX tires?

I had the H/T's on my pickup; they were good tires.
post #6 of 16 Old 03-20-2019 Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gryhnd View Post
I need to order new summer tires myself for my '14 Exec next month. My Goodyear's got far more than 20K though. Probably in the high 30s. I run snows from about January to April and I have ~68k on the odometer right now. Anyhow, I was considering Yokohama Parada Spec X at $154ea. Anyone have experience with these? I'll be watching your thread too for updates as I get closer to purchasing.
I'll also add that the trucks both tow a 7,000 boat/trailer when it is nice out and then 3,500 lbs of enclosed snowmobile trailer in the winter-adding to the tires wearing out a bit faster than those who do not tow.
post #7 of 16 Old 03-20-2019 Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO Treg View Post
Just curious, why did you choose the H/T instead of the SRX tires?

I had the H/T's on my pickup; they were good tires.
I had shopped for the best tires for the money and for $150 each, the H/T looked great and happened to review very well too.

I see that the SRX are even cheaper than the H/T, maybe next time, but only if the H/T last for about 20,000-it is bad that that is all I expect but for a shorter wheelbase truck with AWD, and that is towing either a 7,000 lb boat/trailer or a 3,500 lb snowmobile trailer most every weekend in the winter, with the truck weighing 5,000 lbs-the same as a 1500 series pickup truck, it is the price I/we have to pay for the utility of it all.

If I did not have the boat to tow, I wonder if I'd have a TDI at all
post #8 of 16 Old 03-24-2019 Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic

My wife got to drive, first, in the snow/slush/mess, on the highway, and she had said that while the going was slow, the tires did well. Of course, most new all season tires would do well in driven-over snow so it is almost no surprise.

Where the tires also did really well were both a 4 mile long dirt/mud road that was the consistency of peanut butter/mashed potatoes and where the mud was 3-4" deep. My wife knew to not let her momentum down/slow, or else, so she kept on the pedal and chugged through the miles and miles of mud.

I now need to go out and clean her truck.

I'll look forward to driving the truck in the rain to see how the tires do and to see if they will last at least 20,000 miles. If they last, they will be my next set of tires for my own truck.
gryhnd likes this.
post #9 of 16 Old 03-31-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by gryhnd View Post

So I have a 2012 V6 Exec on 20” wheels and I have run the Parada’s for 3 straight sets.
Pros - Price - value - excellent
Handling - very good. The vehicle is my wife’s primary driver and when I drive, I appreciate its responsiveness and ability to hold the road.
I like you are located in New England and need an all season tire that handles winter driving, and this tire is very good for that.
Cons - mileage - last about 17-19k on 20’s with proper alignment, balancing and rotation. But this is the challenge that we have with this vehicle, especially on 20’s.
$600.00 for 4 tires makes it more digestible when you have to burn through them like I do.
Overall, I recommend them because they give you what you want without breaking the bank.
gryhnd likes this.
post #10 of 16 Old 04-01-2019 Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has noticed the 20,000 mile, maybe 25,000 mile limit that our 5,000 lb trucks, with short wheelbases, and AWD, that tow from 3,000-7,000 lbs, who has tried all the "longest lasting" tires, read: Most Expensive tires that money can buy, and have found it to just be sort of a waste-so far.

Instead of >$900 per set, we're trying the $700 a set and if the performance is the same as we're not pushing these trucks around some orange traffic cones in parking lots on our off-days or tracking our Touaregs, and the life is even close to equal to 20,000 miles +/_ 1-2,000 miles, I can easily live with it.

My wife says the truck is riding and handling great in all the conditions/roads so far.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode