275/45/19 Recommendation - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 5 Old 04-08-2019 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2008 V8
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
275/45/19 Recommendation

Ok, I have read most of the previous posts but nothing recently addressing my question. I bought my 08 Touareg V8 about three years ago. I've put 6k miles on it in three years. The Michelin tires that were on it had about 20% tread left, wore evenly, but the first thing I noticed when test driving it was the tire noise. Coming from BMWs it was noticeable. I quickly threw on a new set of cheap Milestar MS932XPs and found no real difference as they are just as noisy as the original Michelin's were. Now three years later it's starting to annoy me more to listen to it. I need a recommendation for the quietest 275/45/19 I can find. I'd like to stay under $1k for a set. I never drive off road, live in Alabama so no real cold weather worries, so can probably get away with summer tires. I'm looking at Pirelli P Zero's (the summer tire) and Nokian Zline. I don't like Bridgestone's, Dunlop's, or Continental's (previous experiences). Now I know the Touareg is a heavy vehicle but there's got to be something I can do to stop it sounding like 5 ton truck. Anyone have any tire suggestions?

Thanks.

Paul
Montgomery, AL

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-08-2019
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
Paul, how many miles on your Treg, and what kind of Michelins were you running? Are you positive you don't have another issue, wheel bearing or some other driveline bearing on the way out, etc? No vibration at the center console (prop shaft bearing showing wear)? We experienced excellent service (about 45k miles) on our 09 with Michelin Latitude Tour HP -- not cheap but quiet and smooth. At replacement time they weren't available so we went with Conti DWS 06, again no noise problem. We just put the same Michelins on our 14 (slightly different size 19s), again quiet and smooth. Not saying your perception is incorrect, just saying it wasn't the same as ours. Might check Tire Rack and look specifically for reviews that comment on road noise performance. And somehow make sure it's only tire noise you're hearing.

Good luck, and by the way I'm originally from the Montgomery area.

14 Touareg TDI Lux, 14 Audi A6 TDI, (09 Touareg TDI gone but not forgotten)
post #3 of 5 Old 04-09-2019 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2008 V8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_B View Post
Paul, how many miles on your Treg, and what kind of Michelins were you running? Are you positive you don't have another issue, wheel bearing or some other driveline bearing on the way out, etc? No vibration at the center console (prop shaft bearing showing wear)? We experienced excellent service (about 45k miles) on our 09 with Michelin Latitude Tour HP -- not cheap but quiet and smooth. At replacement time they weren't available so we went with Conti DWS 06, again no noise problem. We just put the same Michelins on our 14 (slightly different size 19s), again quiet and smooth. Not saying your perception is incorrect, just saying it wasn't the same as ours. Might check Tire Rack and look specifically for reviews that comment on road noise performance. And somehow make sure it's only tire noise you're hearing.

Good luck, and by the way I'm originally from the Montgomery area.
Seems the noise is most noticeable from about 45 mph to a stop. No shaking or vibration anywhere, 99k miles on it now and it was a one owner vehicle with impeccable Atlanta dealer service history. I don't think it's a wheel bearing noise as I know how to diagnose that with loading and unloading the bearings to see if the noise changes. It doesn't. I don't remember which Michelin's were on it when I bought it. My son also bought a 08 V8 after driving mine and just bought new Michelin's for his replacing the original Continental's (45k miles on his Treg). I need to wait for his next visit and see what his sounds like I suppose. The local VW dealer here is a sheister and has tried to screw me a couple of times but having worked in a BMW dealership service department for 11 years that's not going to happen but I can't trust them to diagnose anything. Guess I could take it to my local tire dealer and get him to run it with the wheels off the ground just to make sure it's not anything else but tires.

I lived in Oklahoma a while growing up (Ada).

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 04-09-2019
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
There are many contributors to tire noise.... everything from compounds to tread pattern to road surfaces.
Many tires are branded with "low noise" symbols these days...
There are also tons of tire reviews to guide you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hwy.png
Views:	17
Size:	488.8 KB
ID:	222275   Click image for larger version

Name:	shhh.png
Views:	19
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	222277  

post #5 of 5 Old 04-09-2019
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
There is a significant problem with the tyre noise test ratings issued in Europe which may be the same elsewhere in the world.

The EU noise rating is measured OUTSIDE the car - it's drive-by noise test undertaken using specially sealed cars so the engine and transmission noise does not affect the tyre test results.

Thus the tyre may be nice and quiet for the pedestrians outside the car but it's not a true measure for the car's occupants where, as already mentioned, the vehicle's own dynamics and different road surfaces may create all sorts of noise.

Moreover, I believe the tests are undertaken on brand new tyres.

I also understand that the tests are conducted by the tyre manufacturers themselves and not by an independent organisation which also leads me to comment on the wet weather tests results too where very cheap tyres from certain parts of the world often not only have a good [as in low] noise rating but also excellent wet weather ratings too!

I throw tyres away at 50% worn as their performance in bad weather and under braking begins to fall off a cliff after that point but I also often find tyres often get noisier as they wear - some General Grabbers were particularly bad at that point and I was higher relieved to see - and hear - them go!

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA & facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 & facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7 [Not available in "VW Atlas" North America!]
Read Wikipedia:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

T1 & T2 buyers MUST read:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Use Google or Bing to search by typing in: site:
followed by what you seek

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode