2013 Sport TDI Brakes complete - Club Touareg Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By ToolmanJohn

post #1 of 10 Old 04-29-2018 Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
2013 Sport TDI Brakes complete

Just finished the entire job this afternoon. 4 new rotors, new pads, and new sensors.

The rotors and pads are OE, but I purchased the sensors aftermarket from 2 places online, Only $35 for all 4 total. Dealership wanted $448 -EACH!!

I also got a decent discount on the pads and rotors, just under $500 total for all of it.

As it turns out, I really didn't need rotors, but I replaced them anyway. My rotors both front and rear were BARELY worn after 74000 miles. Each front rotor was 31.7mm (new is 32mm and 30mm is MIN) thick, and the rears were 27.8mm thick (new is 28mm and 26mm is MIN). Only a very small lip on each rotor, I was very impressed. there was still nearly 40% pad life left on the rear pads too. The didn't look bad, but I replaced everything. Hopefully don't have to do it again until 150000 miles.

I'll keep the rotors and have them turned before the next brake job.

I did have the "BRAKE WARE SENSOR", Volkswagen's spelling not mine, light up a week ago, and I ordered the parts. My driver side front inner pad was worn to about 4mm of material and the sensor wire was cut through. The other side on the front was nearly cut through on the sensor.

The fronts are straightforward, and except for having to hang the caliper, and disconnect the sensor (it's tricky!!), it was easy, Each rotors requires removing a small capture bolt with a T50 TORX bit. They are not very tight.

The rear caliper removal to get the rotor off also requires a 14mm triple square MALE tool and I bought a bit set in anticipation of the job. Strangely, there are also small threaded plug which is ALSO triple square. It was a 5mm I think. I had to soak those with Kroil (a great anti rust agent) to remove them. I think the threaded bung hole is there for adjusting the parking brake star wheel adjustment through the front of the rotor. I didn't need to do anything with the electronic parking brake system. Just made sure it was off, the rear rotors were very easy to remove. The ELSAWIN manual called for 30NM of torque for the rear caliper bolts PLUS 75° degrees more. A very strange call out. The fronts are 200 foot pounds!! My torque wrench only gets to 150, so I just put a large bar on it and gave them a good tightening.

REAR Specified torques:
Multi-point socket head bolt to wheel bearing housing Use new bolts!
30 Nm + 75° = 22 ft-lb plus 75 degrees - weird -

FRONT Specified torques:
Hexagon bolt to wheel bearing housingt Use new bolts!
270 Nm = 200 ft-lb

Cleaned the slight rust corrosion on the brake surfaces with a wire wheel brush, and installed the rotors. Also I only remembered to spread the brake calipers to maximum on the rear calipers BEFORE removing the calipers. I used a couple screwdrivers to spread as far as possible before taking off the caliper. Installing new pads is very easy. I did no other cleaning or prepping, just swapped pads.

The brake sensors are a bit sticky, and removing the connectors took the most fussing. I didn't want to break the MALE mating part of the connector. When I removed the sensors from the old pads though they each broke into pieces very easily!! Good thing I had new sensors for installing. The plastic must get very brittle from heat.

After reassembly, the parking brakes work fine, and hold even when in gear, no problem as before. A 50 mile brake pad bedding and test drive was excellent. No noise and a small improvement in stopping power. Total time was about 4.5 hours, but knowing what I now know, I bet I could cut that to under 3 hours if I didn't take so many breaks to walk away.
TnTregTdi likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to ToolmanJohn For This Useful Post:
ssnead (05-01-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-01-2018 Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic

NOT $448 each for sensors.... $48.00 EACH... Sorry for the typo.
post #3 of 10 Old 05-01-2018
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Well done.

Interesting that at 74K you could have got away with just new pads from the sound of things!

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA & facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 & facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7 [Not available in "VW Atlas" North America!]
Read Wikipedia:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

T1 & T2 buyers MUST read:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Use Google or Bing to search by typing in: site:
followed by what you seek
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 05-01-2018 Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobytoogy View Post
Well done.

Interesting that at 74K you could have got away with just new pads from the sound of things!
I know, I wasn't expecting a lot of rotor life left over. But the front pads (inner driver side mostly) were worn down near 3mm remaining on the liner, and the sensors showed the wire almost cut through on the passenger side (driver side was cut right through-caused the brake "ware" alarm - no proof readers in Germany or is that the spelling?).

The very odd (surprised) thing is I tow a travel trailer (3000 pounds) anywhere from 1800-2600 miles a year for the last 4 years. Most of that is highway, but I was expecting much more rotor and pad wear.

I am saving those old rotors. I'll have them turned next time I do pads (150K miles???) and it will only cost the pads and sensors.
post #5 of 10 Old 05-01-2018

Have you replaced the brake fluid as recommended?
post #6 of 10 Old 05-01-2018
Touareg Guru

Brake fluid should be replaced for the first time in a new car at 3 years and thereafter every two years according to VW.

You can also buy a brake fluid tester for under 20 dollars to see for yourself whether the fluid actually needs changing.

Read Wikipedia:

post #7 of 10 Old 05-01-2018 Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rf4137 View Post
Have you replaced the brake fluid as recommended?
Funny you mention this. Nooby is correct 3 years, then every 2 per VW schedule. I was having the dealership do it during the 10K PM services when required. I paid for that service TWO times. ( I currently do NOT use that dealership anymore since last Summer 2017 - 60K mile service).

BUT, when I went to check brake fluid level before pushing the caliper pistons back in, WELL, I could not access the reservoir!! The plastic access flap built into the firewall shield had NEVER been cut in two places to create access. There was NO WAY brake fluid could have been added or accessed. I strongly suspect that it was never performed!!!

Would a service department manager even care if I went back to complain? I just discovered this the past Saturday changing the pads. I didn't have to remove any brake fluid from the reservoir, and it bothers me. Now I have to get one of my brothers to help me bleed them.
post #8 of 10 Old 05-01-2018
Touareg Guru

I don't know your particular model but it seems strange that the brake fluid reservoir is not readily available in open view so it can be physically eyeballed to check the level.

Read Wikipedia:

post #9 of 10 Old 05-01-2018 Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic

I'll try to upload a picture.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...4pIHtkTI5QSl7C

They seem to be in order. The reservoir is under the firewall plastic shield between the wiper blades.
post #10 of 10 Old 05-02-2018
Touareg Guru

Golly, I see what you mean now.

Read Wikipedia:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode