2010 Touareg: Spacers for wheels? Should I? 19" Terra and 18" winter wheels - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 7 Old 01-19-2019 Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2010 V6
Second Vehicle: Other
2010 Touareg: Spacers for wheels? Should I? 19" Terra and 18" winter wheels

I have a 2010 VW Touareg T2 VR6 and have 19" Terra wheels and Continental DWS06 tires for Spring, Summer, Fall and then also have some 18" wheels with Perelli snow tires for winter. I saw a sick looking Grand Cherokee the other day that had wheels spacers. I was interested in doing this to my Touareg -- for aesthetics only I admit...

I searched and found some info but wanted to hear what people think in 2019. What should I consider for cons if I do this? What size should I get (thinking 15-20mm)?

Thanks everyone!

Mine: '10 VW Touareg VR6 T2 Luxury Package
Former: '06 Saab 9-5 Aero
Former: '01 Audi A6 2.7T
Wife: '17 VW Tiguan Wolfsberg Package
Wife Former: '14 VW Jetta Sportswagen TDI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-20-2019
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
Google and understand wheel offsets before asking such vague questions. What do you want to achieve that was so "sick" on the Jeep? Wheel poke? How much? You can just get a stupid wheel offset and not required to add any spacers. If you have existing, proper offset wheels, then you can add spacers to get your "sick" look. What are your current specs?
post #3 of 7 Old 01-22-2019 Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboABA View Post
Google and understand wheel offsets before asking such vague questions.
I did google it, thanks for your help. I found older articles but hoping to learn what people think today and specifically for the Touareg. I was hoping there was some experience on this forum that could be helpful. Where better to find out than creating a new post in the Touareg forum?

I can be more specific though... in the Touareg, does a 15mm spacer kit cause premature bearing wear or any other safety issues?

Quote:
What do you want to achieve that was so "sick" on the Jeep? Wheel poke? How much?
It's an aesthetic preference. The wheel coming out a bit from under the fender looked nice to me. I feel that, especially with the smaller 18" winter wheels, the tires look like they are so far inside the car. I do not want half the tire sticking out like you see in some ricer street racer Hondas or Texas hillbilly pickup trucks, but just a bit more wide stance is all.

Quote:
You can just get a stupid wheel offset and not required to add any spacers. If you have existing, proper offset wheels, then you can add spacers to get your "sick" look. What are your current specs?
I looked up the wheel specs for what I currently have... the 19" OEM Terra wheels are 19" diameter and 9" wide with 60mm offset. These are the wheels I use 3 of 4 seasons and they look the best of the two sets of wheels I have in this department of width. My winter tires are AT Italia 18" diameter and 8" wide with 55mm offset. I think these are the wheels I would like to widen out a bit more. I also plan on replacing my snow tires with something with more off-road tread so maybe the spacers will help in this department as well (providing width space).

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 01-22-2019
Touareg Mechanic

Based on those specs, and assuming that you run the same 255 width tires on both sets of rims, your 18s will stick out slightly more (5mm)
You need to ensure that you have sufficient clearance at full lock if you want to add spacers to get that "poke"..... depending on how far you want to get the wheels to stick out, you may need to also get longer bolts.

When I asked above if you understood offsets, I was referring to how offsets\wheel widths determine the inside\outside clearances on the vehicle with respect to things like fenders, wheel liners, suspension components, etc. In your original post you didn't mention any of the relevant measurements and offsets, and this is why I said "vague".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	offset.png
Views:	22
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	220593  
post #5 of 7 Old 01-22-2019
Touareg Mechanic

You also stated that your 18s look like they are "inside" the car..... this leads me to believe that you're either running different width tires on your 18s (225-235) or that the offset and width you provided are incorrect. Based on the values you gave, they should stick "out" of the car, slightly.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-22-2019 Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

Quote:
Based on those specs, and assuming that you run the same 255 width tires on both sets of rims, your 18s will stick out slightly more (5mm)
You need to ensure that you have sufficient clearance at full lock if you want to add spacers to get that "poke"..... depending on how far you want to get the wheels to stick out, you may need to also get longer bolts.

When I asked above if you understood offsets, I was referring to how offsets\wheel widths determine the inside\outside clearances on the vehicle with respect to things like fenders, wheel liners, suspension components, etc. In your original post you didn't mention any of the relevant measurements and offsets, and this is why I said "vague".
This is great! I started this thread because this is what I needed to know.

As for tires, I will check their widths but I am assuming the winter tires are indeed thinner as per winter tire design.

post #7 of 7 Old 01-22-2019
Touareg Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubya View Post
As for tires, I will check their widths but I am assuming the winter tires are indeed thinner as per winter tire design.
Everything is a factor...... put some really wide tires on a narrow rim, and the tires will "bulge out" wider than the rim..... this alone could achieve enough of a poke\stance that you're after..... by the same account, put a narrow tire on the same width rim, and it will be stretched (thus, the actual rim will poke out past the tire sidewall)

Offsets\tire\rim sizes all need to be taken into consideration in their full detail for proper fit\clearance\use\function.
Check all your measurements and clearances on the set of wheels that you want to make stick out and use that as your baseline to determine how much spacer you can add before you start rubbing on your fender liner, bumper, etc. (at full lock).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode