Club Touareg Forum banner

2008 Touareg 4.2FSI + Airlift Autopilot V2 + BC Coilovers = PRETTY SWEET

6K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  ShadowImg 
#1 ·
Here's a lil pictorial on my progress...

stock steel suspension

-----------------------------------------------

removed muffler to make room for dual compressors and tank

not much to see from the back

running the lines up the spare tire well

manifold and relays

controller can hide in tray when door is closed

ready for these guys

bags in and aired up close to stock height

aired out, as the kids say

CLICK for an action shot

See less See more
#3 ·
Tidy job.

What/whose are those wheels?

#4 ·
I bought the setup used from another forum member. So there really wasn't much choice involved in the setup. I felt it was a good price for the entire setup, so I pulled the trigger on it.

I imagine there are "higher end" coilovers out there, like H&R, but even if I wanted to go buy them... what really am I achieving? Granted, I didn't do much research on other brands, but are there really THAT many options for coilovers on a Touareg...?

I've had two coilover setups on my previous Audi's, one H&R and one Koni. Neither were as good as me picking and choosing my own spring/shock combo.

#5 ·
The wheels are stock. I believe they are called the Terra wheel???

When I purchased the Touareg up in Utah, they were pretty chewed up. A combination of curbage and salty roads really ate them up.

Since the dealer had a lot of local connections to me in Arizona, he offered to pay to have them refinished. So they were cleaned up of any/all damage and then powder coated. I tried to keep the color as close to the paint of the body as I could. In the sunlight, its a pretty good match. In the shade, its a bit darker. Sounds silly, I know, but when you see it in person, you can really see how well they POP when all cleaned up and PCd!

#6 ·
Yeah - was curious if that was why, are there other options? I wouldn't expect the BCs to hold up to the load of a Touareg - they weren't very robust. I wonder if a KW v3 or such exist, but adjustable damping/rebound isn't really very useful here.

Wonder if just some good fixed struts would mate well though - or even the struts used in a stock air suspension setup.

#7 ·
I'm no engineer, but when looking at the OEM strut/spring combo, and the BC setup, I don't see much of a difference in the construction quality.

I've had ST coilovers in my last Audi, which I believe KW is the same company. They were my LEAST favorite setup. For what its worth...

I guess the good news is the previous owner had all the shock/strut cartridges replaced prior to shipping the setup out to me. BONUS!!

#8 ·
ST and BC are actually the same infinitely rebranded chinese stuff as far as I know. They're rebranded like 40 different ways in the US, same stuff, different colors.

KW as far as I know always says KW on it - some like RaceComp rebrand KWs, but they retain the KW plate and don't hide that it's a custom spec KW build.

Share how they do over time though - curious if they hold up/don't blow seals/leak/etc. Maybe the Touareg version is not built like all their 'tuner car' ones.

#9 ·
Uh, no idea where the BC Racing coilovers are bad is coming from... this is my setup that I sold and ran the coilovers for 5 years and 50k miles with no issues. I appreciate the fact that you can customize spring rates and shock valving if you request it. The replacement cartridges I put in just before selling it were only $90 each. ShadowImg, where are you getting your info???

Check out the race teams that use them... and I know plenty of people from Porsche, BMW, Audi, and VW that use BC Racing with no issues and are plenty happy.

BC Racing North America

Copied this from the Subaru forums...

"D2 and Ksport are the same, made in Korea, very cheap.

BCR and Megan are made in Taiwan, not the same as D2/Ksport.

Compared to Megans, BCR coilovers have bigger internals, beefier shock bodies, locking lower rings (so the height adjustment rings don't work loose), and a better damping curve. They end up being a lot more compliant over rough surfaces. And they tend to last a little longer.

Overall the BCR coilovers are just a nicer piece, for just a bit more money.

Bigger internals means more surface area for the shim stacks and valves, which leads to a smoother ride and better tuning of damping. The larger shock bodies means more room for the internals and a stiffer cartridge, which means it will hold up to much more abuse. The BCR coilovers also come with a coarser thread, so you can adjust ride height easier and quickly.

Also FYI - Pillowball bearings will provide a more direct and solid feeling in your suspension but they will also make the ride a bit more harsh and transfer more noise and vibration. So BCR provides the option of pillowball OR rubber mounts.

Feel free to PM us with any inquiries. I have personally run BCR's on 3 of my vehicles
and the CMS STi runs a BCR ER series."

David

#10 ·
Very strange - maybe there are different runs of BCs. I know a shop that ordered the Megan, Raceland, BC BR, and I believe one other, D2 or something? and compared them. They had different finishes, but were definitely the same quality. The parts weren't interchangable - apparently by design, but not because they were actually different.

Actually, if you read the rest of the thread you're quoting from, you'll hear it from some horse's mouths.

Agreed on the generals, very confused on the BC quality though. However, if it works - it works. I just wouldn't be surprised if the stock struts are actually higher quality. Does anyone know the specs/manufacturer for the OE?

#11 ·
I just picked up a set of BC's and the quality looks good. I've run Bilsteins, ICS and a number of other setups. While not as nice as some, I definitely don't have any reservations about these.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.