18"Wheels on R-Line - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 9 Old 05-01-2019 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2016 V8 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
18"Wheels on R-Line

Hi All, this has probably been covered a million times but I can't find anything. I currently have a '14 V6TDI with 18" rims and Cooper tyres which I'm really happy with. We've just bought a '16 V8 R-line which has 21"rims, which are going to be a problem on our rough country roads I feel, so I thought I'd just change them over if possible to the 18's, and sell the V6 with the 21" wheels. Anyone with experience in this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-01-2019
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
18s fit.

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA & facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 & facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7 [Not available in "VW Atlas" North America!]
Read Wikipedia:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

T1 & T2 buyers MUST read:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Use Google or Bing to search by typing in: site:
followed by what you seek
post #3 of 9 Old 05-02-2019

Touareg: 2016 V6 FSI
Second Vehicle: Can't afford one
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Highlander View Post
Hi All, this has probably been covered a million times but I can't find anything. I currently have a '14 V6TDI with 18" rims and Cooper tyres which I'm really happy with. We've just bought a '16 V8 R-line which has 21"rims, which are going to be a problem on our rough country roads I feel, so I thought I'd just change them over if possible to the 18's, and sell the V6 with the 21" wheels. Anyone with experience in this?

Would anyone else know if 18” 2012 cayene S rims will fit a 2016 Touareg? I found some nice rims at a great price but not sure if they’ll fit... they have sensors also, not sure what I’ll have to do to set that part up... any help is appreciated. I am in Canada

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 05-02-2019
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
You need all pertinent specs if you want to make a proper decision...... not just the model of what they came off of. (this is also true in other parts of the world, not just Canada)

Rim Specs
Dia, width, bolt pattern, offset

Tire specs
width & aspect ratio

With those, from both the donor and the recipient vehicle, you can made the call.
post #5 of 9 Old 05-02-2019
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2016 V6 TDI
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouaregCam View Post
Would anyone else know if 18” 2012 cayene S rims will fit a 2016 Touareg? I found some nice rims at a great price but not sure if they’ll fit... they have sensors also, not sure what I’ll have to do to set that part up... any help is appreciated. I am in Canada

Ill let you know in a few days. Im buying a set over the weekend.

- Euro Paddle Shifter Steering wheel retrofit
- Autohold retrofit
- yrktreg tcm retune
- Malone stg 2 tune
- 3" turboback exhaust
- 265/65/18 duratracs on Cayenne wheels
post #6 of 9 Old 05-02-2019

Touareg: 2013 V6 FSI
Quote:

I don't think the sensors are going to work from a 2012 to a 2016.

2013 VW Touareg Exec V6, Black/Black Int, 21" Mallory Wheels.
2015 Audi Q5 2.0T Premium Plus, Black/Black Sport Int
2007 GMC Acadia SLT2, Metallic Brown/Brick Int

Sold:
2013 Buick Enclave Premium, Opel White/Black Int
2006 Mini Cooper S Convertible
2001.5 VW Passat GLX 4Motion
post #7 of 9 Old 05-02-2019
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2012 Hybrid
Garage
Quote:

From forum posts, it looks like VW changed TPMS sensor frequency when they facelifted T3 in 2015.

2012 Touareg Hybrid
post #8 of 9 Old 05-02-2019

Touareg: 2015 V6 TDI
To be successful with this effort, you will want to consider several factors:
- Brake/wheel clearance
- Tire fender clearance
- Bolt pattern
- Bolt size
- Wheel width
- Wheel offset (most calculators expect the ET value rather than the backspace value)(important as it affects vehicle driveability)
- New tire size
- Effects on odometer/speedometer and distance until empty (DTE)

Plan on running a number of comparisons between what you have and what you plan to go to. There are a number of online calculators and wheel reference sites that can assist with the sizing. I like these two, but there are many more...
For wheel details: https://www.wheel-size.com (find your make, model, and year)
For wheel/tire details: https://tiresize.com/wheel-offset-calculator/ (plug in the before and after values)

Aside from the obvious (clearance, bolt pattern and size) concerns, offset and tire size are very important as it locates the scrub radius changes. Wheel-size.com also has a calculator for this (https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/?whe...cl=50mm&sr=0mm).

That particular link shows the calculation I just went through for my USA model 2015 Touareg TDI as I replaced my 20" wheels with 18" wheels. Notice that my 18" solution is very close to the stock 20" size (.1" greater radius), so my scrub radius remains almost identical.

FYI, the VW wheel I chose is the VW Manhattan p/n 7L6601025TZ31 (Touareg 3.0 TDI 2007 - 2010). When you look it up, you'll see it matches: bolt pattern, bolt size, and ET and is 1" narrower than my 20" wheels. Perfect for me because I wanted to run a narrower tire. Also in my case, the odometer/speedometer and DTE are a wash because the sizes are so close.

Also note, some Cayenne wheels will bolt on, but the offset can and will be different; and therefore, may not be the right answer. Have fun sorting this out...
post #9 of 9 Old 05-03-2019

Touareg: 2015 V6 TDI
For what it's worth, I did the opposite of what you're trying to do. My 2015 Lux came with 18" wheels, I now have Porsche Cayenne S 21" wheels... everything worked just fine. The TPMS might be the only thing that may not work but as far as fit is concerned, assuming the Bolt pattern is the same... it'll fit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode