• 1 Post By FSJ Guy

post #1 of 5 Old 02-02-2018 Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2007 V6
Second Vehicle: Other
Garage
17" or 19"

Hello fellow treggers,

This is one for people who do a bit of offroading.

I currently have 2 sets of wheels and tyres for my T2 - a 19x8.5 set (later Cayenne) and a 17x7.5" set (T3). I bought the Cayenne set for cheap and they are in great condition, and I really like the look of them. The 17's came on the car when I bought it.

My plan was to get a nice set of street tyres for the 19's in the stock rolling diameter, and a set of A/T's for the 17" set. However, my current 17" tyres have plenty of tread left and we do relatively low mileage now....

Sensibility says keep on them until they are worn out, but they are 245/65/17, I dislike the look of them (too narrow) and the offroad performance is not what I am after (they are toyo opencountry U/T - a great SUV tire overall I would say but lacking in offroad grip).

Lately I've been considering, perhaps instead, sell the 17" set complete, and run the 19" wheels all the time with perhaps 255/55/19 either Continental A/T's or Pirelli Scorpion ATR's - both of which I have read, and would expect, to be well behaved for on road driving.

My hesitation in doing this would be - am I going to sacrifice too much with that 1" reduction in sidewall with the 19" wheels, or are 19" tyres going to work fine? I mean obviously it depends on the situation - but I figure if anyone is going to be running 19" A/T's its Touareg people (or Range Rover people!) There seem to be quite a few Youtube video's with treg's running 19" tyres doing proper offroading.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-02-2018
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
If you are serious about doing somr real off roading then 17s are the way to go with oversized tyres to take the overall diameter up to 31 inches from the standard 29 and fit them when you nred them.

There is a far wider range of tyres at cheaper prices in 17s than 19s too.
ridedirt311 likes this.

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA & facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 & facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7 [Not available in "VW Atlas" North America!]
Read Wikipedia:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

T1 & T2 buyers MUST read:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Use Google or Bing to search by typing in: site:
followed by what you seek
post #3 of 5 Old 02-02-2018
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2016 V6 TDI
On my T2 I had two sets of 18" Khartoum wheels. One came with the car with Scorpions and the other I found through this forum and eventually these were shod with a more aggressive set of General Grabbers. All eight tyres were 255 R18's. The advantage of this set up was that each set provided a full sized spare for the other set.
I currently have a T4 with 20" rims. The 18" General Grabbers have spent time on the T4 too for some rough tracks but unfortunately are too different in profile to be used as full sized spares.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 02-02-2018
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2004 V10 TDI
I also have 2 sets of wheels, 19 and 18. and was planning on swapping for different usage but I put cooper AT3 tyres on the 18's and they work good on bitumen and dirt, so I don't bother changing them.
post #5 of 5 Old 02-02-2018
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2008 V8
One of the first modifications I did was to ditch my 19" wheels and change over to 17" wheels. I put Wrangler Duratrac tires (265/65 R17) on them and couldn't be happier.

I go 4 wheeling in the summer when I can. Not super hardcore rock crawling (Touareg's have NO flex! LOL!)) but I give the low range a workout and make good use of the rear locker.

If you're serious about 4 wheeling, definitely go with the 17" wheels and put some good off-road tires on it. And get a full size spare, too!!
ridedirt311 likes this.

2008 V8
No VCDS? Get it here:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode