Water pump bolt broke - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 11 Old 05-12-2019 Thread Starter

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Water pump bolt broke

Hammered, propane heated and rapid cooled. It turns maybe 45 degrees pretty free then binds left or right.

I heated for 2 minutes still binds, grips slip.

Gonna dremel a notch for screw driver, maybe heat a while a get and put a birthday candle in it.

If that doesnít work, going to dremel flush, center punch, 1/8 cobalt to 5/32 (4mm) cobalt and hammer in a t27 torx. Heat again, pb quench it, and get after it with long ratchet.

Ultimately back up to the 5mm cobalt bit and m6x1 tap will be here Thursday. Maybe I skip the torx and just drill. Ultimately some just have to be drill yeah? Better that then having to then drill through the torx 27 insert bit.

Got the torx idea from here same size bolt:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-13-2019
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2004 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: Old heap
weld a nut to what is left of the broken bolt then turn the nut.
post #3 of 11 Old 05-13-2019
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
There are screw extractors that are intended for extracting broken studs.... not TORX.
You probably did this to yourself with your heating\cooling butchery!

Don't cut a slot into it. Either weld a nut\T-bar onto it or grind two flat edges on it and use an Adjustable on it...... you can apply heat to it but don't "rapid cool it"..... you're just tempering it and making it hard and brittle with your cooling methods.

Soak it in penetrating fluid too before you start...... since you say it binds after a little, I would guess it's cross-threaded, so get ready to repair the threads once you get it out (read, tap\helicoil)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 05-13-2019
Multiple v10tdi owner

Touareg: 2004 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: 2004 V10 TDI
Garage
Best way to remove is to heat till glowing and melt bees wax on the broken bolt then attempt to remove when hot...

3 V10TDI's: (2)2004 Black/Black, Silver/Black and 2004 V10TDI in 1990 Corvette
post #5 of 11 Old 05-13-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaughan Manders View Post
weld a nut to what is left of the broken bolt then turn the nut.

Itís not in an area where a welder can hook up itís on the street. Some say that hasnít worked in the past. I would have to tow it.

post #6 of 11 Old 05-13-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboABA View Post
There are screw extractors that are intended for extracting broken studs.... not TORX.

You probably did this to yourself with your heating\cooling butchery!

Don't cut a slot into it. Either weld a nut\T-bar onto it or grind two flat edges on it and use an Adjustable on it...... you can apply heat to it but don't "rapid cool it"..... you're just tempering it and making it hard and brittle with your cooling methods.

Soak it in penetrating fluid too before you start...... since you say it binds after a little, I would guess it's cross-threaded, so get ready to repair the threads once you get it out (read, tap\helicoil)

Iíve used pb blaster the whole time. It broke off being careful, not even using heat. I think itís just so bad that anything besides drilling is moot, compared to other people with similar experiences.

Torx would be ideal because a screw extractor would be very hard to remove if it broke and then ide be totally screwed. I could then easily drill it out if it doesnít turn.

Car isnít in a location for a welder. I guess I could do that as well for an adjustable.

I would was told the rapid cool would break the bond that are hanging it up. But I stopped trying that, just heating, cooling a little with time and trying the grips, but it slips. The tap and 5mm bit will be here Thursday.

Yeah Iíve used pb blaster the many times before trying to go further.

post #7 of 11 Old 05-13-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blownvette View Post
Best way to remove is to heat till glowing and melt bees wax on the broken bolt then attempt to remove when hot...

About how long does that take? I have propane. I went up to about 2 minutes and it didnít do that at all on like maybe medium low. Should it be on a bit higher? I donít wanna burn those rubber lines next to it. Will a bday candle work or do I gotta get a special beeís was thing?

I was just warned while hot it could break further because he metal will be weaker.

post #8 of 11 Old 05-13-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blownvette View Post

Also glowing the steel bolt red, I would be worried about the surrounding aluminum in the alum block. Itís hard to keep too much precision on just the bolt with the torch.

post #9 of 11 Old 05-13-2019
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostMeizer View Post
Torx would be ideal because a screw extractor would be very hard to remove if it broke and then ide be totally screwed. I could then easily drill it out if it doesnít turn.
This is the proper tool.
As long as you use it correctly and don't "bend it", the stud will break way before the extractor does.....

The stubbies are even stronger.
post #10 of 11 Old 05-13-2019 Thread Starter

Iíve read to many threads where they broke off because they are hard as hell but at the same time brittle by trade off. Iíve already ordered the ultimate drill bit and tap. Stubbier looks nifty thought never saw those.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode