v6 tdi 2008 coolant - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 14 Old 02-28-2019 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2008 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Garage
v6 tdi 2008 coolant

Hi all from sunny Manchester UK(well it has been, back to normal rain now). Just picked up around a week back, an 08 v6 tdi altitude(i might change that to attitude!).

As i always do with a little OCD, everything has to be perfect! Other than air con which will be looked at again Saturday(no leaks found, but only lasting an hour or so before the fridge becomes and oven). So as i do with all my cars, K and N panel filter fitted, i noticed what seemed to be and taste like coolant sat in one of the grooves of the filter box. Now its right next to the wind screen wash which has been topped up with berry flavour. This looks like coolant though(orange ish) and tasted sweet.

Has anyone got any ideas how it could have got there, the coolant bottle is dry, defo not coming from the cap. I dried it up, then ran and got warm to 90oC where it sits. Revved, watched, inspected, nothing. Allowed to cool down, checked level and pretty much where it was 150 miles ago, just at max.

Help help help, i get paranoid to *beep* with my motors, i do a daily 20 mile round trip for work, also a family bus for 2 kids and a cane corso(think horse).

Thanks for time and reading this, any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Just off to have a look around, not new to 4x4's, i use to have a heavily modded shogun(pajero/montero USA side). Wont be doing quite the same in this bus, but i love it! Comfy, very nice drive and all mechanical side seems good so far!.
Cheers ven
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-28-2019 Thread Starter

Garage
Well just been out for a little run(any excuse haha) and 90oC sits there, maybe 15 miles or so. No coolant to be found on air box..........weird. Might pressure test system at weekend. Going to take a bit to get it to a standard..............hopefully not too long though.

Still any ideas of how coolant could get on air box is welcome, still scratching my head.
post #3 of 14 Old 02-28-2019
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Others have found that the oil from K&N filters can bugger up the MAFF so don't be surprised if you get fault codes. Keep the paper filter to hand!

There have been water ingress issues in Generation 2 cars' air filters but not Gen 1.

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA & facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 & facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7 [Not available in "VW Atlas" North America!]
Read Wikipedia:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

T1 & T2 buyers MUST read:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Use Google or Bing to search by typing in: site:
followed by what you seek
The Following User Says Thank You to noobytoogy For This Useful Post:
venn (03-01-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 02-28-2019 Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the info nooby, yes i actually had to wipe it down as it was a little too oily. Previous car had one, the WRX are also notorious for oil/maf issues............i had to get an ear bud and clean the wire inside carefully! Will keep an eye on things, also have kept the new paper filter at hand. I was kind of hoping the VW would be less fussy. Its kind of a habit for me with filters, then take out and clean every 6 months(not oil again).

It was a pita as well, i already had the air box opened(would have been easier to disconnect pipe thinking back) to check filter(like new). But damn, my poor knuckles and patience haha. I will update if i get any issues and have to refit OE filter.

I am all new to VW and diesel , please ignore my stupidity.

List to do after i have proved reliable(any thing fixed basically), wheels re-furbed diamond cut. Been quoted £360 which is not bad at all, and only round the corner. New boots as well, then hopefully the only spend will be fuel(other than service). Of course the air con as well, found a compressor for £230 ish , rads around £100. Will probably be one of those unless a well known issue for leaks that i am not aware of. The subaru 17yrs on was very cold, disappointing the VW isnt. But that could be down to previous owner/s.

Thank you for time and reply, appreciated
post #5 of 14 Old 02-28-2019
Touareg Guru

22 inch wheels don't do it for me on a 4x4 but we're all different!

The Touareg must always run with 4 identical tyres - same size, same make, same model, same tread pattern and no more than a couple of mm tread depth difference otherwise it's possible to burn out clutches in the autobox due to transmission wind up.

Having said all that, if you wanted a bit more comfort with deeper sidewalls on the new rubber you can go up to 30 inches overall diameter when the speedo will be accurate, or 31 inches when it will read slightly slow.

Read Wikipedia:

post #6 of 14 Old 02-28-2019 Thread Starter

Garage
They dont do it for me either, not fully decided on what to do yet, refurb or change. If refurbed, i am also pondering a little larger side wall, 265/35/22 is crazy stuff. Maybe a tad wider as well, i could get away with 285 on these rims easy with a little rim protection to. Decisions decisions, surprisingly, it actually drives and feels fine on our terrible roads, no bumps or crashes! I can only presume its part to the decent suspension set up.

Thanks for info, so far i like it here, friendly and quite active! As i see near 20k posts, Touaregs are in your blood!!! I will certainly be taking all advice on board. I dont have too many plans , my main one is simply a reliable family chariot. Only time will prove that one. A good dog guard is next , ideally with a divider, however these seem to be from 2010 on. No big deal, just a preferred choice if i had it. The Travall 2003-2010 appears to fit over the pull out parcel shelf , this looks like the one i will be getting so far(and a none spill water bowl).

When the oldest was born, 12m later we got a caravan(tourer), used for maybe 8-9yrs of some great holidays. As this has a detachable tow bar(stored near spare wheel),we are considering another one down the line. Good times! i hope...............

Love the car, if i had to pick holes, would say visibility is not the best with the large pillars up front, rear not best either. Other than that, its quite possibly the nicest drive i have had. But with any new to me vehicle, i find it quite stressful at first, if anything rears its head. So after any 10m drive or once a day, bonnet is up and looking haha. Yes i am that bad for a few weeks till i get confidence.

Thanks again
post #7 of 14 Old 02-28-2019 Thread Starter

Garage
As for wheels, these were on my shogun, 35's on 15x10 rims

Had to allow 7mph at 50(so i was driving at 57), mpg took a big hit, but nothing ever stopped it.........ever.
post #8 of 14 Old 02-28-2019
Touareg Guru

A set of 18s will give you comfort and a wide choice of tyres at sensible prices if you ditch the 22s and, after all, you're not going to be hooning the Touareg like you might a Scooby!

Don't buy 19s as the tyre choices are limited and expensive.

20s also offer more choices at okay money.

The downside of going oversize above the standard 29 inches overall diameter is the increased weight of the tyre which can take the edge off acceleration.

Read Wikipedia:

post #9 of 14 Old 03-01-2019 Thread Starter

Garage
Yes agree, will ponder over it whilst I get confidence mechanically ,in a new (to me) car. I donít want to start spending £400(code reader) here and £600 (wheels)there just yet in case I get bit by any surprises . Thanks for advice, all appreciated and your time.
post #10 of 14 Old 03-01-2019 Thread Starter

Garage
Regarding OP, it seems so far to be washed fluid. Itís getting a little pressurised , when I take kid off, I can see the fluid go back down the neck! Yes I filled it up, took 5L of berry flavour, although i gave in as it appears to not stay full. Presume some over flow . Itís smells Berry anyway, and because itís purple , I can see purple stains near by.
What is confusing me, is some very slight steam from the front. No coolant, nothing on the floor or on the actual under covers. It has been washed though, and it is wet (not coolant). Itís very hard to spot itís that little.
Can not see any rad damage, or any sign of leak . Donít seem to be using coolant or itís not easily measurable being so small.
Thanks
Going in tomorrow anyway for inspection.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode