Touareg won’t start, faulty engine speed sensor - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 13 Old 03-10-2019 Thread Starter

Touareg won’t start, faulty engine speed sensor

So ive had my 2008 touareg tdi 3.0, 233000 km for about 9 months. Its treated me really well and i have driven it a lot all over eastern europe. i noticed over the last month it was taking more cranks for it to start. i attributed it to being colder weather. halfway through my last long trip my wife and i stopped for lunch and as literally ad shes saying i love this car..it wouldnt start. it would crank but not start. next to the restaurant was a car service place so they came over and said it was the battery. i didnt think that was right but they gave it a jump and i headed to the service shop. weird. got the oil changed as it was due and had them check the battery. sure enough the battery was tested and proved good, but apparently the engine speed sensor is faulty and as a result the car would not start. admittedly im not a car expert and the local languages are not my first language so im not sure if they meant the camshaft sensor but im pretty sure they said engine speed sensor. anyways, they said they would order the part and in ten days would have it. i drove back to my village a few hours away and now predictably the car wont start. i guess my question is why is the car starting with jumper cables and is it normal to do that? i only need it to start one more time so i can drive it back to the city and get this sensor replaced.

Albania/Kosovo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-11-2019
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2004 V8
Often the speed/crank position sensors act up when the engine is warm/hot, so the car will start once the sensor cools off. My guess is that the time it took for you to get the jumper cables set up was enough to let the sensor cool off.
post #3 of 13 Old 03-11-2019

Touareg: 2005 V6
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Yeah, crank angle sensor usually stuffs up while you're driving. Not so much hard-starting symptoms. Almost take a guess with fuel pump maybe?

Ben.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 03-11-2019
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2004 V6
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Speed sensor went kaput on mine when driving then stopping at a traffic light. waited 5mn then it started fine. a vcds scan showed sensor g28 intemittent comm. I replaced it and so far so good.
post #5 of 13 Old 03-11-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenF View Post
Yeah, crank angle sensor usually stuffs up while you're driving. Not so much hard-starting symptoms. Almost take a guess with fuel pump maybe?

Ben.
I also thought maybe it could be the fuel pump. When I took it to the shop and
they ran their diagnostic however they definitely indicated it was the engine speed sensor.

Albania/Kosovo
post #6 of 13 Old 03-11-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnk View Post
Often the speed/crank position sensors act up when the engine is warm/hot, so the car will start once the sensor cools off. My guess is that the time it took for you to get the jumper cables set up was enough to let the sensor cool off.
Im just hoping I can find a way to get it started with a jump or pray to the touareg gods that it will start once the replacement part arrives.

Albania/Kosovo
post #7 of 13 Old 03-11-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRespect View Post
Speed sensor went kaput on mine when driving then stopping at a traffic light. waited 5mn then it started fine. a vcds scan showed sensor g28 intemittent comm. I replaced it and so far so good.
Once its started and running I havent had any problems of the engine cutting while driving, only the startup has given me problems. Hoping its not the full pump and Im replacing the engine sensor in vain

Albania/Kosovo
post #8 of 13 Old 03-11-2019
Touareg Guru

Touareg: 2006 V8
Second Vehicle: 2004 V6
Garage
Engine speed sensor can equal no start or random starts. It just depends. Often but not always shows up as a hot restart problem.

Crank position sensor can equal long starts, but it should still consistently long start.

If a fuel pump goes bad (you have two), it is different things depending on if you have less then 1/4 tank or more then 1/4 tank of fuel. A big fuel pump tipoff is it changes when more or less then 1/4 tank.

If fuel filter gets clogged, you will see the fuel trim constantly adding fuel.
post #9 of 13 Old 03-11-2019
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2004 V6
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyt View Post
If fuel filter gets clogged, you will see the fuel trim constantly adding fuel.
Off-topic but I'm having a rich mixture error (-25 trim) and I'd like more details or info/links about this statement.
I'm looking into this issue and will be testing the fuel pumps soon.
post #10 of 13 Old 03-11-2019
Touareg Guru

Touareg: 2006 V8
Second Vehicle: 2004 V6
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRespect View Post
Off-topic but I'm having a rich mixture error (-25 trim) and I'd like more details or info/links about this statement.
I'm looking into this issue and will be testing the fuel pumps soon.
I have seen it add fuel when the fuel filter was clogged. No idea about it removing fuel. Dirty Air Filter or MAF comes to mind. This 3 page article discusses it.

autoserviceprofessional.com/article/94982/Fuel-trim-How-it-works-and-how-to-make-it-work-for-you?Page=2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode