Subframe bushings broken - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 9 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Touareg: 2004 R5
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Subframe bushings broken

Hello,

I had a problem with my 2005 R5 today. The front subrame bushings apparently got torn apart resulting in the subframe hanging Down in front. It happend during normal road driving in a turn. Has anybody experienced this before? By looking at the design it seems a bit fragile and also a bit strange that nothing keeps the subframe from hanging like this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190514_212056.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	891.0 KB
ID:	223175  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 1 Week Ago
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2004 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
I imagine the sub frames on the R5 and the V10 are similiar so maybe the comparison with my experience is relevant.

The dealer had to drop the engine on mine do do some work. When they put it back together they improperly torqued (read forgot to tighten) the subframe bolts. One day during a turn the car made a funny noise and the steering got all 'squishy'. When an independent shop looked at it, one bolt was completely gone and the threads in the body were stripped, two were loose and ready to fall out. The alignment was so far out the front tires were shot in 5 miles. Flat bedded it back to the dealer to fix! They did - had to do some fancy thread repair on the body. Took them months.
Has your engine ever been removed or any of the subframe bolts taken out and put back?

2008 M-B GL 320 CDI (wifes), 2000 Golf GL TDI (sold), 2004 Touareg V10 TDI (acquired 2/2011), 1984 Mitsubishi 4WD Pick Up turbodiesel (beater truck), location - SW Washington St, USA
post #3 of 9 Old 6 Days Ago Thread Starter

I dont think the engine have been out or the bolts for the bushings have been removed. In my case all the bolts are fully in place, but the rubber on the front bushings have been completely teared of.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 6 Days Ago
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
I can't really tell much from your pic, and I barely know what I'm even looking at.
So are you saying that out of 4 subframe mounts, the "front" two are completely broken and your carrier is just dangling around?
post #5 of 9 Old 6 Days Ago Thread Starter

I see that I should have sketched around the bushing to make it a bit better to know what it is. The problem is that the two front bushings on the subframe are broken in the rubber part, resulting in that the subframe hangs down in front. Attached are a picture which gives a better view.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Broken bushings.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	846.9 KB
ID:	223199  
post #6 of 9 Old 6 Days Ago
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2005 R5 TDI
You can change the bushes.

Remember that in normal use, for the subframe to move, all 4 bushes must deform.

Somebody messed up with the subframe in the past. They are very bulky items or some solvent or fuel deteriorated the bushings badly.

All vw/audi engines must use 507.00 spec oil except non-DPF R5/V10 engines that must use 505.01/506.01
93 Pajero GLS 3.0 V6 LWB - SOLD
2001 Gen3 Di-D LWB - SOLD
2005 Touareg 2.5 TDi Air & Bi-Xenon
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 Old 6 Days Ago
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
I'd replace all four if I were you
post #8 of 9 Old 6 Days Ago
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Agreed on the decomposition of the bushes - I think something must have got at them for a failure like that to occur which is pretty damned serious.

I don't recall seeing or reading of anything like it over the past 10 years or so.

As above, replace all four bushes and, from memory, I think they may be handed for each corner to check your parts needs carefully.

Here's a - hopefully - useful thread I started on this subject over 5 years ago.

You'll need a full 4 wheel laser alignment afterwards as well.

You'll need to join mytreg to read all the stuff in it.

https://www.mytreg.com/index.php?/to...s-replacement/

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA & facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 & facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7 [Not available in "VW Atlas" North America!]
Read Wikipedia:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

T1 & T2 buyers MUST read:

Use Google or Bing to search by typing in: site:
followed by what you seek
post #9 of 9 Old 6 Days Ago Thread Starter

Yes this was kind of shocking when I saw it after it happend. I imagine it could very bad if I had to brake hard. Yes I will replace all four bushings and also the rear control arm bushings. I cant see any traces of solvent or other chemicals, neither any mechanical damage underneath, aside from some scratches on the subframe. But I have not studied the bushings very carefully. I see that the rear subframe bushings has developed some small cracks in the rubber. I will look into the topic at mytreg and I have already joined there. Thank you so far with the inputs to my problem! I have also another problem with a P0304 misfire at idle but that I will maybe make another topic on. I recently bought this car so I guess I have had a bad start with my Touareg. My biggest concern with the misfire is if it can be the plasma coating peeling off, but I have done some relative compression tests which seems to look fine so I am crossing my fingers for something less expensive. Even though I am not 100% sure.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode