Strange battery darain - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 4 Old 03-30-2019 Thread Starter

Strange battery darain

Hi all,
It's been a long time since my last post as I have been Touareg free for a few years.
Now I have another one. a 2011 7P Bluemotion with a very odd problem.
The issue is that the battery will drain overnight. It will just about start the next day, but two days and it needs a jump.
It's had a brand new Yuasa AGM battery two months ago as I thought it was the battery at fault.

I have noticed that when the car is stopped an switched off, the parking brake light on the switch will come on and also the red (P) on the dash. They stay on for about 10 seconds before going off for a few seconds, then the cycle repeats.
At the same time as they are on, there is a very quiet hum which seems to be coming from behind the dashboard.
Also, there is a relay or solenoid click from the engine bay. It sounds like it coming from the engine itself.
As the lights go off, it all goes quiet. Occasionally, during this process, there is a relay click sound from behind the dashboard. Not always though. Sometimes it sounds like the relay is multiple clicking like a starter does when the battery is flat. But this is when the battery is fully charged.
This cycling goes on whether the alarm is set or not. And it happens all the time as regular as clockwork and not sporadic. It repeats this every 15 - 20 seconds.
It does not happen when the engine is running or the car is in motion. Any help gratefully received. I have no idea what to do next.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-31-2019
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2016 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: too many to list
I assume you don't get any dash signals of an issue. Time for a vagcom analysis for errors. If you don't have one get a dealer to do a diagnosis. Touaregs are a very complicated beast indeed. It will be interesting to find out the issue.
post #3 of 4 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Hi, the problem has now been resolved.
It was caused by myself.
I had fitted a set of dedicated LED interior bulbs.
The one in the glove box was apparently causing the issue.
According to the repair guy, the car has numerous canbus systems and one of them uses the glove box lamp as part of the circuit.
If it's open circuit, that's OK. However, the LED being a diode was not allowing the system to complete its 'usual' routine. So, it reset, reactivated and tried again, over and over until the battery ran out.
Simply removing the LED lamp in the glovebox fixed it.
There were no faults on vagcom. It was a trial and error and an experienced technician.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Touareg: 2008 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: too many to list
Garage
Send a message via MSN to Steve_L Send a message via Skype™ to Steve_L
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowleav View Post
Hi, the problem has now been resolved.
It was caused by myself.
I had fitted a set of dedicated LED interior bulbs.
The one in the glove box was apparently causing the issue.
According to the repair guy, the car has numerous canbus systems and one of them uses the glove box lamp as part of the circuit.
If it's open circuit, that's OK. However, the LED being a diode was not allowing the system to complete its 'usual' routine. So, it reset, reactivated and tried again, over and over until the battery ran out.
Simply removing the LED lamp in the glovebox fixed it.
There were no faults on vagcom. It was a trial and error and an experienced technician.
Wow...that's interesting, and fantastic troubleshooting. Maybe a solution to a couple of issues I'm having. Cheers.

2007 Touareg MY08 V6 TDI - Atacama Grey (Beige Trim) Tow Pack, RNS510, 9W7, Tint, V10 Exhaust Tips, Bilstein Sports Shocks, King Springs

2008 Golf MKV R32 (Deep Blue) 5dr, DSG, RNS, Sunroof, Carbon Fibre Rear Diffuser, Drilled/Slotted Rotor, Neuspeed F/R Swaybars, Unibrace, W.A.L.K., Tyrol-sport Chassis bolts, 9W2, Polar FIS+

2007 Yamaha FJR1300 (waaaay too many mods to list here) - The Mile Muncher
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve_L For This Useful Post:
priss (2 Weeks Ago)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode