Stealership messed up my car - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 4 Old 04-30-2019 Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2008 R5 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Stealership messed up my car

Just a little story for everybody to learn from.

My Touareg has been plagued by various exhaust problems for two years now. First I started to smell exhaust fumes in the cabin, for no obvious reason. Then the the turbo needed replacement, because the car was underboosted. Then I had some gray smoke problem when accelerating hard. Then the engine got gradually louder and louder under load. Ultimately I also had to replace both the turbo actuator solenoid and the turbo pressure sensor, which seemed to mostly cure the problems, but I still had too much noise when launching from standstill in the first few gears. Because the idle was also pretty rough when the engine was cold, I figured this was due to EGR problems. VCDS also seemed to confirm this, as the EGR control values were pretty much all over the place.

So, because of this, this week I pulled the whole intake assembly (including shut-off air flap, EGR valve and intake manifold) on my Touareg, to have it all thoroughly cleaned. The assembly turned out not as bad as it seemed at first sight, none the less the cleaning made a huge difference. However, when I took off the intake manifold, to my horror this is what was waiting for me:

It turns out that the dealership messed up my car the last time they took the intake manifold off, because when they put it back on, they obviously misplaced one of the gaskets around the intake ports. The slipped gasket got bent, cracked, and was partially blocking the intake port of cylinder 5, which didn't get proper air flow because of that. This was two years ago, at the 160.000 kms / 100.000 miles maintenance service of the car, when they had to remove the manifold, so they could replace the rubber clutch and freewheel on the generator.

This must have been the primary reason for all the engine/exhaust problems I've encountering during the last two years. It explains the sudden appearance of exhaust smell in the cabin; the boost problems; the carbonization; the engine getting loud under load; the gray smoke during heavy acceleration. Interestingly enough none of these throwed any codes (even the boost condition appeared very rarely), and the situation even improved slightly on its own - most likely because the gap at the place of the missing gasket was partially sealed up by soot deposits (which are very noticeable on the block around the problematic port in the pictures above).

On a side note, and unrelated to this problem, but still very much related to the point, the dealership had me since replace the front brakes when it were actually the rear ones that were worn and triggering the pad warning (yeah, I didn't even look until after, because it didn't even occur to me that they'd have mess even this up), and had regassed the A/C multiple times, when it was actually the pressure sensor that was bad. They also broke the holder clips of the plastic trim covering the cabin filter, which (ie. the cover) started to rattle during rides because of that, until I glued back the broken holder back together with some epoxy. And of course I also complained several times to them about the exhaust/engine problems over the years, but they never found anything particular what could have caused those. Well, now I did.

Lesson learned: never trust the dealership, do whatever you can yourself, and if you can't, then always doublecheck whatever they supposedly did your car! Just because they're professionals they're not really better at their craft - if for nothing else, then because they just don't care.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-01-2019
Learner

Touareg: 2006 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: 2015 V8 TDI
Sorry to hear this

V8 TDI R line MY15, White, Panoramic roof, VW towbar. Dynamic Road Sign Recognition, Lane Assist, Traffic Reports, Google Earth enabled. All Led.

V10 TDI, MYO6 on Conti CrossContact 255/60/18s with RNS510, Paddle Shifters, Rear Diff lock, Mounted Spare, Bluetooth, 4 Zone CC, Keyless, AFS Xenons, TPMS, Easy Entry/Exit, Twin Batteries, Air Suspension, Sunroof, Icom IC440 UHF radio...

Had, Sold & Missed...V6 petrol on Pirelli AT's with Sat Nav, Rear Diff lock, Bluetooth & Phatbox.
post #3 of 4 Old 05-01-2019
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2011 V6 FSI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
Garage
If the dealership doesnít own up to their mistakes then name and shame them. We all make mistakes and are reluctant to own up to them but if that is the level of workmanship then name the dealership and shame them through various means (forums, social network, papers, etc...) If they donít get the business from customers, they will either change their ways or go out of business. One person will not change the world but collectively it can be done!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 05-01-2019
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
As I've said may times before, and as I'll keep saying..... butchers everywhere!

100% agree about doing as much as possible yourself, and trying to educate yourself about any and all issues in an effort to understand what is going on, etc.

Look at the bright side... at least you didn't ingest any chunks (or significant size ones)...... I'd have a look at your turbine wheel if you feel like digging to ensure that no blades are damaged.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode