Speak just gave out? - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 10 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2004 V8
Second Vehicle: too many to list
Speak just gave out?

Today I was driving and my front speaker right by the mirror made this noise that was almost a squeaking noise, at first I thought it was my windshield wiper. But then I realized that my top speaker no longer had music coming out of it. Did I blow a fuse? Or should I just buy a new speaker? What is the top speaker called?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 1 Week Ago

Touareg: 2011 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
Garage
That is a tweeter. Doubt you blew a fuse, those are for power and the head unit or amp, individual speakers are not fused. There is a crossover of some sort because the tweeter is separated, that could have went out as well. How is the sound quality overall impacted?

2011 Touareg TDI Executive - 138k miles, 2014 Passat TDI SEL - 88k miles (daily driver)
Previous - 11 other VWs, from A1, A2, G1, B4, B5, A5, A6, NMS platforms. I've owned a few Chevy HDs as well.
VCDS HEX-CAN owner
post #3 of 10 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmonkey View Post
That is a tweeter. Doubt you blew a fuse, those are for power and the head unit or amp, individual speakers are not fused. There is a crossover of some sort because the tweeter is separated, that could have went out as well. How is the sound quality overall impacted?

Where is the crossover? The rest of the sound still sounds perfect. It still bumps hard too.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 1 Week Ago

Garage
I don't know which sound system came in your 2004. I'm looking through the wiring diagrams and if you have the passive 10 speaker system there isn't a crossover. If you have the 8 channel "Volkswagen Sound Package" or the 10 speaker "Dynaudio Sound Package" any crossover functions are most likely in the amp. That is just what I can see based on wiring diagrams, others may have more practical experience. It really may be that the small tweeter did just give up, being around 15 years old and in a vehicle.

2011 Touareg TDI Executive - 138k miles, 2014 Passat TDI SEL - 88k miles (daily driver)
Previous - 11 other VWs, from A1, A2, G1, B4, B5, A5, A6, NMS platforms. I've owned a few Chevy HDs as well.
VCDS HEX-CAN owner
post #5 of 10 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic

Quote:
I don't know which sound system came in your 2004. I'm looking through the wiring diagrams and if you have the passive 10 speaker system there isn't a crossover. If you have the 8 channel "Volkswagen Sound Package" or the 10 speaker "Dynaudio Sound Package" any crossover functions are most likely in the amp. That is just what I can see based on wiring diagrams, others may have more practical experience. It really may be that the small tweeter did just give up, being around 15 years old and in a vehicle.

I honestly think itís just the tweeter, (nock wood) I have a **** ton of miles on it. And the stereo is always on. How do I find out which system I have? Would it make a difference? Are all tweeters the same?

post #6 of 10 Old 6 Days Ago

Garage
I don't know for certain without the build option codes. The tweeters are probably the same or could be replaced by the same. I'd check out Crutchfield and see what they say will fit as a good starting point.

VCDS HEX-CAN owner
post #7 of 10 Old 6 Days Ago

Touareg: 2005 V8
Garage
Tweeters come in different sizes. What I'll do is find a Touareg V8 for parts and take out the tweeters from it. It shouldn't be difficult to replace; I have taken it out before.
post #8 of 10 Old 4 Days Ago Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic

Quote:
I don't know for certain without the build option codes. The tweeters are probably the same or could be replaced by the same. I'd check out Crutchfield and see what they say will fit as a good starting point.
whats crutchfield?
post #9 of 10 Old 4 Days Ago Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabicolon View Post
Tweeters come in different sizes. What I'll do is find a Touareg V8 for parts and take out the tweeters from it. It shouldn't be difficult to replace; I have taken it out before.
so theres two different ones?
post #10 of 10 Old 3 Days Ago

Touareg: 2005 V8
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Touaregman33 View Post
so theres two different ones?
I mean there are different tweeters on the market and some of them will not fit on the Touareg. So you should find a Touareg for parts and replace them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode