Southwest Road Trip Report - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 7 Old 10-23-2004 Thread Starter
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: Other
Southwest Road Trip Report

On October 16th, Mrs TREGinginCO and I headed from Parker, Colorado to Las Vegas, NV to take care of some family matters. We decided that once we got that taken care of, we would explore some of the scenery of the Southwest. (THIS WAS THE REASON I MISSED THE NORTHEAST TOUAREG RALLY).

First Leg Of Trip: Parker to Las Vegas: Went without a hitch, but that irritating hum/vibration problem has returned with the TOUAREG. My service dept. and I thought it was fixed - but nope, so I will be going back to the shop again. We have done this trip countless times I-70 West to I-15 South - whammo you're there. Only got 13.4mpg on this part of the trip. Drove at about 95mph, but we were slamming into a 30mph headwind which just destroyed any hopes of good gas mileage. We arrive in LV with no trouble. Friends radar detector saves us twice!! Gas fillup prices: $1.96 to $2.24 p/gallon

Second Leg of Trip: Las Vegas to Grand Canyon: Hum/vibration problem continues to get louder, but otherwise no problems with the TOAUREG. Heavy rains and headwinds continued to cause problems for gas mileage. Speeds from LV to almost Williams, AZ were only about 75mph, but the winds were even stronger. The weight of the TOUAREG is a huge advantage when zooming thru the water. Gas mileage only 14.2mpg on this leg. We arrive without any trouble - friends radar detector saves us once just east of Kingman, AZ Gas fillup prices: $2.39 p/gallon

Third Leg of Trip: Grand Canyon, AZ to Santa Fe, NM: It's raining like hell at the Grand Canyon, so our hopes of seeing the canyon were quickly washed away . So, we filled up at the Conoco station and damn near choked on the price of gas: $2.69 p/gallon. This resulted in a 50-dollar fillup for 3/4 of a tank of gas. That hurt! The hum/vibration problem continues to grow louder and one other problem shows up: a water leak from my sunroof. This is the same problem others have talked about before, where the water came thru the compass console in the roof. In addition to the hum/vibration problem, I will also be having this fixed. Gas mileage at 15.3mpg as the strong 30+mph winds were smacking us on the passenger side of the vehicle - makes for very attentive driving! We arrive in Santa Fe with car intact - friends radar detector saved us in a BIG way once!!!

Last Leg of Trip: Santa Fe, NM to Parker, CO (home):
Finally, we have about a 35mph TAILWIND, which really boosted gas mileage. We were able to drive at 95 to 100mph and still manage to get 18.7mpg on this part of the trip. I was thrilled. Not to mention after days of rain and opposing winds, this was the smoothest drive on the entire trip. BUT, and there's always a BUT, about 5-miles from the house, I notice something blinking on the center console. The HIGH and AUTO DIFF lights started blinking, just like they did last January when my Stepper Motor died in Moab, UT. After all these miles dealing with the hum/vibration, this is what really pissed me off. But on the bright side (I try to stay optimistic), hopefully it's a bad stepper motor that is causing this maddening hum/vibration and I get a twofer fix!!!

All is good, we saw some beautiful sights and regardless of the hum/vibration - the water leaking sunroof and now blinking lights - the TOUAREG was a blast to drive. You never get tired sitting in the seats on long drives. I love this car, but the problems are making me nuts.

For all of you V6 owners, I did notice a huge difference in engine performance in the "low-lands" We live at 6,000 feet altitude and the 'T' does a good job. When we were in Las Vegas (elevation 1,400), it was amazing how much more "umph" the V6 has.

That's my story. Oh, sorry, no pictures - my m*#@%r f*+^&%g ditigal camera died on the trip as well!!!

2006 V6, Campy White, VIN 46xxx, Anthracite w/ Sound 1 and Xenon Headlight Upgrades, Monster Mats, 3M Window Tint, Euro Headlight Switch, Gorilla Gear Cargo Mat, Clear Bra, VW Tow Pkg, VW V8 Style Exhaust Tips, 18' Manhattans & Silver Racks
2013 Audi allroad: Ibis White with Layered Oak Inlays
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-20-2005

what radar were you using?
post #3 of 7 Old 03-20-2005
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2009 V6 TDI
You remind me of a friend of mine who says "if you don't drive it like you stole it, why have it."

No disrespect intended, but why in the world would you want to drive your car at 95 to 100 MPH for a leisure trip on public roadways. ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 03-20-2005 Thread Starter
Touareg Guru

Answer to questions:

The radar detector was a friend's Beltronics unit. Worked okay, but what I really want is the Valentine One.

Now, as for cruising at that speed.... this is when the TOUAREG really shines. This is a fantastic highway vehicle and on good roadways... that speed is "refreshing!!!

2006 V6, Campy White, VIN 46xxx, Anthracite w/ Sound 1 and Xenon Headlight Upgrades, Monster Mats, 3M Window Tint, Euro Headlight Switch, Gorilla Gear Cargo Mat, Clear Bra, VW Tow Pkg, VW V8 Style Exhaust Tips, 18' Manhattans & Silver Racks
post #5 of 7 Old 03-22-2005

I've been following your saga regarding hum/vibration and sad to hear that it is still there with your new Treg. Did you not notice it before the trip? I have the same problem and waiting till warmer spring to see if this noise is from tires when parked for long time in cold weather. In your case it is definitely not the tires. Keep us all posted with how you make out. Thanks for the nice day to day report.

2005 V6 reflex silver, anthracite, full-option w/air-suspension
post #6 of 7 Old 03-22-2005
Touareg Mechanic

Send a message via MSN to 4x4s
Check the dates on the post. His trip was over a year ago, well before the new Touareg.

'04 Touareg - V6, Bi-Xen, Reflex Silver with Anthracite interior
post #7 of 7 Old 03-22-2005 Thread Starter
Touareg Guru

Yea, my NEW 2005 TOUAREG has been flawless..... one month into it.

My 2004 was the headache vehicle.

I'm looking forward to making this trip again with my '05!! It should be even more fun!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode