Club Touareg Forum banner

Snow performance

7K views 26 replies 14 participants last post by  SounderMN 
#1 ·
How's the Touareg behave in the snow?

It's never too early to get some info on that!

Unfortunately, I got 19" wheels and crappy stock tires, but luckily (for the Touareg and not me!) it's the last winter before the move overseas for a few years where there's no snow at all...

#2 ·
With good tires, it's fantastic. With bad tires, not great. The Touareg is a heavy beast, so even with good tires make sure you have adequate stopping distance.

#7 ·
I run a set of all season tires, and had no problems with the winter last year. We had a lot of snow, ice and cold temperatures. In contrast my wife has a 07 MDX and she struggled with her all season tires. I think that the Touareg was awesome in the winter, add winter tires and it will be tough to stop!

#8 ·
#9 ·
Nokian WR is probably your best bet..great snow and offroad performance, good dry weather performance.

#10 ·
I have some aggressive tread 17 inch all weather tires. Never even feels like you are riding on snow. Had a few trips to work where I drove where i expected the road to be but covered in a foot of snow and had no trouble at all. You will be pleased.

#11 ·
Like Aircooled said... good tires equal great snow performance. I have Nitto Terra Grapplers on... and we got dumped on here in the Denver area last week and the Touareg was unstoppable!!!! :)

#15 ·
:)The T did well in snow for me. Better with the Nitto's on but the biggest issue I had was the weight. If she starts slip better get your rally gloves on and get her back on track!

This will sound weird but to me the XC70 does better then the T in the snow! Maybe it is just the driver! lol!

#16 ·
Those were Goodyear HP's.... and you guys are bitches!!!! :)

#20 ·
I don't feel I compromised at all when I had my Nokian WR's. I had no issues getting up and down canyons to go skiing when I was using those. They worked great out here in UT which gets more snow then OH, but to be fair OH's snow would be somewhat wetter.

#21 ·
Simply because you did well with the Nokias is not proof that they are not a compromise. It is a given that all season tires have lower grip level than true 'summer' tires.
You get more snow at times. But we have had winters where it starts around Thanksgiving and does not end until March.
Indeed the folks up in Ashland county get it in feet. its called lake effect.

#23 ·
Simply because you did well with the Nokias is not proof that they are not a compromise. It is a given that all season tires have lower grip level than true 'summer' tires.
You get more snow at times. But we have had winters where it starts around Thanksgiving and does not end until March.
Indeed the folks up in Ashland county get it in feet. its called lake effect.
Trust me, it was no compromise with those tires. I am familiar with what weather can be like back there, I am from PA originally. I have snow here in the mountains now and it will more then likely be there until June, so length of your winter does not compare to out west. Granted, we don't get the freezing rain out here, which I no longer miss by the way, but it can dump here pretty hard as well and we have a lake effect also. The Great Salt Lake is our lake effect.

#27 ·
Get a used set of snow tires and wheels for this season. Then, at the end of the season, put them here and resell them. There is a set listed on the board currently.

You may end up losing a small amount of money, but it'll be less than what it'll cost if your crappy standard all seasons don't perform well, and you slide off the road.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.