Selling my Jeep CRD and looking at a 2012 Touareg TDI - million questions! - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 6 Old 6 Days Ago Thread Starter

Selling my Jeep CRD and looking at a 2012 Touareg TDI - million questions!

I've decided to sell my 07 Jeep WK CRD and get something more practical. I love my Jeep and have owned Jeeps for 20+ years and i'm finally done with the "Just Empty Every Pocket" for a DD. I have a 80mi commute and don't offroad as much as I used to so I need fuel economy, good ride and something that tows 5K well (I know they can tow more but lets be realistic) as I haul boats and trailerS quite often, reliable and have a decent offroad capability (nothing serious). On paper the Touareg looks like its a good match for what I need so I have lots of questions.

1. How reliable would a 2012 TDI with 60-80K on it be with routine maintenance? I do all my own work unless it's something the dealer can only do and i'm very mechanically inclined. I'm a preventive maintenance guy and won't typically wait until something breaks.
2. Is the HPFP failure a real thing? The internet says if I buy one it will have a catastrophic failure lol. I know VW has a extended warranty on some but i'd hit the mileage limit in less than 2 years of driving so it's a real concern.
3. Do they suffer from awd driveline vibrations? My Jeep is plagued with all sorts of vibrations and I just want a rig that goes down the road nice without spending $1K in driveshafts etc.
4. Do the radios go out? I had a 2010 Jetta that went thru 2 radios in a year and the dealer said "yeh they go bad".
5. What is real world mileage on the highway driving responsibly with a stage 2 tune and emissions delete?
6. What is the biggest fear of ownership of these as far as major repairs? On my CRD its the oil seal that is $20 but $1200 in labor to replace and/or the turbo.
7. Life expectancy of the turbo?

I'm really looking to get some unbiased info on what to expect and look out for on these rigs. I realize this is a VW forum and most all love what they drive but I need accurate info before I buy. My plan is to buy a used 11-13 with relatively low miles and drive it to around 200K and need to know if the cost of ownership will outweigh the purchase price and fuel consumption.

Appreciate any feedback!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 6 Days Ago
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
Allow me......
Disclaimer: I have only owned my Touareg (my first) since last September. It is my 2nd TDI. I own a 2010 Jetta TDI (same technology basically, just smaller engine) that I've had since new and continue to drive daily. (currently at 255k kms, still on original HPFP, turbo, clutch, etc... all major components, excluding things like a few sensors, brakes, tires, bulbs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipjack View Post
I've decided to sell my 07 Jeep WK CRD and get something more practical. I love my Jeep and have owned Jeeps for 20+ years and i'm finally done with the "Just Empty Every Pocket" for a DD. I have a 80mi commute and don't offroad as much as I used to so I need fuel economy, good ride and something that tows 5K well (I know they can tow more but lets be realistic) as I haul boats and trailerS quite often, reliable and have a decent offroad capability (nothing serious). On paper the Touareg looks like its a good match for what I need so I have lots of questions.
You will love the Touareg compared to your Jeep. When thing break, as they do, parts will cost more but if you do your own wrenching, you can fix almost anything yourself with proper tools (read VCDS) and knowledge (read service manuals, forum input, personal knowledge, etc). It will tow way better than your Jeep, but it will be less capable in hard core offroading due to lack of lockers and such. With decent tires you shouldn't have a problem as the traction control works well.

Quote:
1. How reliable would a 2012 TDI with 60-80K on it be with routine maintenance? I do all my own work unless it's something the dealer can only do and i'm very mechanically inclined. I'm a preventive maintenance guy and won't typically wait until something breaks.
You will be fine. If you stay on top of things and don't ignore CELs or sensor failures, it will treat you well.

Quote:
2. Is the HPFP failure a real thing? The internet says if I buy one it will have a catastrophic failure lol. I know VW has a extended warranty on some but i'd hit the mileage limit in less than 2 years of driving so it's a real concern.
It sure is. You want this to fail during the extended period if it does fail. After that, have a backup plan, as when it does fail, ti's a big and costly fix. Many of us run lubricity additives as we believe that our crap quality of fuel is the main culprit.

Quote:
3. Do they suffer from awd driveline vibrations? My Jeep is plagued with all sorts of vibrations and I just want a rig that goes down the road nice without spending $1K in driveshafts etc.
Steering Wheel Shake is the most common, with the Propshaft carrier bearing being the 2nd most common. Lots of info on here about how to fix\address this. Other than that, keep your tires evenly worn\rotated and you'll be fine.

Quote:
4. Do the radios go out? I had a 2010 Jetta that went thru 2 radios in a year and the dealer said "yeh they go bad".
It's a VW... there's always some electrical gremlin at some point.

Quote:
5. What is real world mileage on the highway driving responsibly with a stage 2 tune and emissions delete?
Don't do any of that until the extended warranty runs out. My fixed unit will do low 30s MPG over a 500 mi trip with the cruise set above the posted speed limit. A delete should allow you to pick up a few more MPGs in theory.

Quote:
6. What is the biggest fear of ownership of these as far as major repairs? On my CRD its the oil seal that is $20 but $1200 in labor to replace and/or the turbo.
Timing chain, tranny, HPFP, and brakes (especially if you don't do your own)

Quote:
7. Life expectancy of the turbo?
Too many factors to even take a stab at it...... I'd expect ~200k with proper maintenance.
post #3 of 6 Old 6 Days Ago

Touareg: 2012 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
My wife and I sold our 2007 Jeep Commander, which was an upgrade from our 97 Jeep Cherokee, for a 2012 TDI in March this year. The Treg is a joy to drive and our trips have been improved over the Jeep. The Commander is about the same weight as the Treg but the Jeep never let you forget that you were in a Jeep. The Treg is smooth and just yesterday I found myself surprised at the handling in a corner from an offramp. I look back fondly on my Cherokee, but I haven't missed the Commander since we've had the Treg. Picked ours up with about 50K miles on it. Had a weird isolated issue with a ground fault and the known issue with LED trailer lights. Quickly picked up a VCDS to avoid dealer issues and don't have any outstanding issues.

My wife dailys the car around town and average mileage is 22-23mpg. Highway is close to 30mpg.

2012 Night Blue Touareg TDI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 6 Days Ago
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
The drive shaft bearing is a very common issue for Generation 1 cars but not Gen 2. I can only recall one Gen 2 car so far with a drive shaft problem.

As suggested use a diesel additive to avoid the HPFP grenade, and buy good quality diesel from an outlet that shifts its stock. Also treat 1/4 full as Empty. Hot unwanted diesel gets returned to the fuel tank and, whilst it passes through a fuel cooler on the return, it also relies on the tank contents too.

Should your car suffer SWS it can be fixed with careful road force balancing on Hunter equipment coupled with correct torqueing of the wheels to 133 ft lbs. There is a TSB [Technical Service Bulletin] on this which you can DIY as some tire shops and others seem incapable of following the simplest of instructions. Always run 4 identical tires of the same size, same make, same model, same tread pattern and similar tread depth to within 2/32ths.

Like any premium European car the Touareg can be expensive to repair should it go wrong. VCDS from Ross-Tech is a must if you can DIY. There are other cheaper OBDII readers but . .

As for longevity, no one can tell you how the car you might buy will turn out in the long run, but then that's the same for any car of any make regardless of the manufacturer's reputation!

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA & facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 & facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7 [Not available in "VW Atlas" North America!]
Read Wikipedia:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

T1 & T2 buyers MUST read:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Use Google or Bing to search by typing in: site:
followed by what you seek
post #5 of 6 Old 1 Hour Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobytoogy View Post
The drive shaft bearing is a very common issue for Generation 1 cars but not Gen 2. I can only recall one Gen 2 car so far with a drive shaft problem.

As suggested use a diesel additive to avoid the HPFP grenade, and buy good quality diesel from an outlet that shifts its stock. Also treat 1/4 full as Empty. Hot unwanted diesel gets returned to the fuel tank and, whilst it passes through a fuel cooler on the return, it also relies on the tank contents too.

Should your car suffer SWS it can be fixed with careful road force balancing on Hunter equipment coupled with correct torqueing of the wheels to 133 ft lbs. There is a TSB [Technical Service Bulletin] on this which you can DIY as some tire shops and others seem incapable of following the simplest of instructions. Always run 4 identical tires of the same size, same make, same model, same tread pattern and similar tread depth to within 2/32ths.

Like any premium European car the Touareg can be expensive to repair should it go wrong. VCDS from Ross-Tech is a must if you can DIY. There are other cheaper OBDII readers but . .

As for longevity, no one can tell you how the car you might buy will turn out in the long run, but then that's the same for any car of any make regardless of the manufacturer's reputation!
What fuel additive is everyone using? Also what motor oil is everyone using? Sorry to hijack the OPs thread.
post #6 of 6 Old 29 Minutes Ago
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2016 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
-Stanadyne Performance Formula

-Liqui Moly Top Tec 4200

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode