Safety Recall 20Z4 - Fuel Filter Flange - Page 13 - Club Touareg Forums
 9Likes
post #121 of 130 Unread 2 Weeks Ago
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2010 V6
Second Vehicle: Other
Update for anyone following...

I am still waiting on the fuel flange and new seal/gasket to arrive. I am experiencing a TERRIBLE gas smell in my car now ever since the dealer checked it out and I suspect some gas was spilled inside the rear seat due to sloppy work or perhaps they didn't re-seal the lid that covers the fuel flange area. I needed to remove that rear seat bench to do this.

So I went to autozone and bought a small kit of torx bits for my socket wrench. The largest bit worked in those outer bolts I inquired about in my previous post (funny how they are different size than inside bolts). These outer bolts were not torx bolts but the largest torx bit in the kit I purchased worked to remove them, giving me access to the fuel flange area. In this process, I noticed that the rear middle seat belt anchor was only secured with 1 of the 4 10mm triple square bolts that it is supposed to have securing it down. Also, the terrible gas smell was the result of the lid that is supposed to cover the fuel flange not being secured on AT ALL. It was just open with some wet gas pooled over the flange from when they removed the hose. I sopped up the wet gas but there are multiple bolts missing from my car including 3 10mm triple square bolts to hold the middle seatbelt anchor in place as well as 4 10mm nuts that secure the lid that covers the fuel flange area.

I understand that the dealer probably just assumed that I would go through with the work being done with them so they left all these parts open. It is also my understanding that the seatbelt bolts are one-time use only so that's part of this as well.

I called the dealer and they are charging me for the bolts. I am just going to pay since it's a measly amount and move on with my life. My wife's Tiguan lease is expiring soon and we won't be going back there for another VW.

The flange and parts are arriving tomorrow and I will do the DIY fix then and check back in.

Mine: '10 VW Touareg VR6 T2 Luxury Package
Former: '06 Saab 9-5 Aero
Former: '01 Audi A6 2.7T
Wife: '17 VW Tiguan Wolfsberg Package
Wife Former: '14 VW Jetta Sportswagen TDI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 130 Unread 2 Weeks Ago
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
Butchers everywhere
post #123 of 130 Unread 2 Weeks Ago

Touareg: 2006 V6
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Let them know why you wont be going back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 130 Unread 2 Weeks Ago
Touareg Guru

Touareg: 2006 V8
Second Vehicle: 2004 V6
Garage
^^ If you wished to explain the problem to the dealership, a nice professional letter to the General Manager and to the Owner of the Dealership would be the best way. Unless the dealer steps up, nothing will be done as VW has washed their hands of the problem.

If someone affected would like to get something done about the situation, file a new NHTSA report stating that you had the fuel leak recall done and that the recall solution is also a failure. Takes under ten minutes.
Touareg Enthusiast

So I completed the installation of the new fuel flange part and gasket in about 15 minutes. Wicked easy. I found an ifixit.com tutorial to follow with helpful tips but once I got into it, I really didn't need it as the repair is extremely straight forward.

I noticed that the electrical socket orange gasket had broken so I will try to find another one. Anyone know what that part is?

Touareg Enthusiast

I love how confident I sounded in my last post... what an idiot.

So this morning the car won't turn over. It just keeps trying but it appears as if the engine is not getting gas. I believe that when I fired up the car last night after installing the new fuel flange part, the car ran on the gas that was already in the lines coming out of the fuel flange. When I tried to start the car this morning, it turned over once and then the engine cut out. It now won't turn over.

Is there air in my lines? Do I just need to let the car keep trying to turn over assuming it's pushing gas through the new lines and unit to prime it?

Touareg Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubya View Post
... what an idiot.
I LOLd hard........

Step one.... calm your tits......

Step two.... clarify.....
Does it crank\turn over and just not fire up, or does it not turn over? Those are two very different things.
Touareg Enthusiast

So I opened it back up and I just didn't connect the fuel line that goes from the fuel pump to the flange properly. This time it make ad audible "click" when I attached it. I fired up the car and it is fine now.

It's fixed now. This repair WOULD BE EASY for someone who takes their time and reads directions even when they sound basic.

Touareg Guru

Touareg: 2006 V8
Second Vehicle: 2004 V6
Garage
Back in the days of dialup, people would ask questions that we would answer...

RTFM Page 27

I have been there and can truly say "I share your pain", or is that shame. Whatever. I got a boy scout badge in it.

Touareg Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyt View Post
Back in the days of dialup......
Those were tough times.... waiting like 5min for a JPEG of Cindy to load up..... these guys have it soooooo good today

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in