Safety Recall 20Z4 - Fuel Filter Flange - Page 11 - Club Touareg Forums
 9Likes

post #101 of 130 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Touareg: 2005 V8
Second Vehicle: Still looking
I would lift up the rear seats and see if the carpet has a cutout. Smell around the area (driver & passenger) and check for fuel smell. You can open the covers (10mm nuts x 4) and see if there is fuel coming out. You will have to remove the seat belt bolts for access to the covers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 130 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2010 V6
Second Vehicle: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroR2 View Post
I would lift up the rear seats and see if the carpet has a cutout. Smell around the area (driver & passenger) and check for fuel smell. You can open the covers (10mm nuts x 4) and see if there is fuel coming out. You will have to remove the seat belt bolts for access to the covers.

Thanks, great advice. Is there a youtube video on this anywhere? I am still looking.

Mine: '10 VW Touareg VR6 T2 Luxury Package
Former: '06 Saab 9-5 Aero
Former: '01 Audi A6 2.7T
Wife: '17 VW Tiguan Wolfsberg Package
Wife Former: '14 VW Jetta Sportswagen TDI
post #103 of 130 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubya View Post
Thanks, great advice. Is there a youtube video on this anywhere? I am still looking.

Let us know. You will see if the carpet has been cut (around the opening) and glued back. You can open the hatch and see if any fuel has spilled into that area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #104 of 130 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Touareg Enthusiast

This is awesome! Thanks again!

QUICK QUESTION: What if my car has had the recall repair done back in 2017/18 has a new issue with this repair that is leading to the new fuel smell. Should the VW dealer honor this same recall and make the repair again for free? I think they clearly should. (Please note -- I have not started this process with the dealer yet but want to be prepared when I walk in there).

If someone accidentally cuts me and provides me with a free band aid, this is nice. However, what if this band aid rubs off a year or so later from wear and tear and the cut opens up and bleeds again? This same individual should provide another new band aid. No?

post #105 of 130 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
This is awesome! Thanks again!

QUICK QUESTION: What is my car has had the recall repair done back in 2017/18 has a new issue with this repair that is leading to the new fuel smell. Should the VW dealer honor this same recall and make the repair for free again? I think they clearly should. Please note -- I have not started this process with the dealer yet but want to be prepared when I walk in there. If someone accidentally cuts me and provides me with a free band aid, this is nice. However, what if this band aid rubs off a year or so later from wear and tear and the cut opens up and bleeds again? This same individual should provide another new band aid. No?

The flange (white plastic) is what goes bad. If it is leaking, then I would suspect that the flange ring (metal ring) wasn't torqued correctly or the other side is bad. If the other side is leaking then it would be a recall. Either way, I don't see why you would not be covered. First thing is to inspect yourself and then go to a dealer. You will see which side was repaired, just based on the carpet cutout. The carpet would not have a cutout if it wasn't repaired. First pull up the back seats (5 second job) and see if the drivers side was repaired. Then sniff around for the leak.
post #106 of 130 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Touareg Enthusiast

Quote:
The flange (white plastic) is what goes bad. If it is leaking, then I would suspect that the flange ring (metal ring) wasn't torqued correctly or the other side is bad. If the other side is leaking then it would be a recall. Either way, I don't see why you would not be covered. First thing is to inspect yourself and then go to a dealer. You will see which side was repaired, just based on the carpet cutout. The carpet would not have a cutout if it wasn't repaired. First pull up the back seats (5 second job) and see if the drivers side was repaired. Then sniff around for the leak.
Will do, thanks! I am going to check this today after work.

post #107 of 130 Old 2 Weeks Ago
Touareg Enthusiast

So I brought my Touareg to the dealer and they said that my fuel filter flange is indeed the culprit of the gas odor. They told me that my car has already had the repair back in 2017 but that this new work is not covered by the recall or any warranty. They are asking $174.60 for part ID# 7L6-919-679-D (202CFLANGE) and then another ~$300 for labor.

Does this seem right?

post #108 of 130 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
So I brought my Touareg to the dealer and they said that my fuel filter flange is indeed the culprit of the gas odor. They told me that my car has already had the repair back in 2017 but that this new work is not covered by the recall or any warranty. They are asking $174.60 for part ID# 7L6-919-679-D (202CFLANGE) and then another ~$300 for labor.

Does this seem right?

No, no and no. You are telling me that this was replaced in 2017 and is leaking? If that is the case, then they didn't put in a new rubber seal or didn't torque the retainer ring enough. This item is under recall after 10+ years. First, please get away from any dealership if you no longer have a warranty. You can buy the part from a dealership (I buy my parts from them) for $100.40 plus shipping.

Here is the link: https://www.vwpartsvortex.com/oem-pa...nge-7l6919679d

The labor is also excessive. I would think no more than 1.5 hours.

I am going back to ask you for the 3rd time. Did you look at it yourself? Is there a cut-out on the driver side? How about the other side? Do you have receipts on file or a print-out from the dealership for the prior work?
post #109 of 130 Old 2 Weeks Ago
Touareg Enthusiast

Wink

Quote:
No, no and no. You are telling me that this was replaced in 2017 and is leaking? If that is the case, then they didn't put in a new rubber seal or didn't torque the retainer ring enough. This item is under recall after 10+ years. First, please get away from any dealership if you no longer have a warranty. You can buy the part from a dealership (I buy my parts from them) for $100.40 plus shipping.

Here is the link: https://www.vwpartsvortex.com/oem-pa...nge-7l6919679d

The labor is also excessive. I would think no more than 1.5 hours.

I am going back to ask you for the 3rd time. Did you look at it yourself? Is there a cut-out on the driver side? How about the other side? Do you have receipts on file or a print-out from the dealership for the prior work?
I hear you about the dealership fees for work. I use the dealership to diagnose any car issues I have for free and get a free car wash out of it. I then usually DIY fix (leaks in cabin, center shaft bearing, etc) or take the car to my local small shop (brakes, transmission fluid, etc). I never pay the dealer to do any work.

I did open the car up and there was a cut-out on the driver side. Not on the passenger side. No receipts from prior work. Dude -- ask for a 4th time if you want... I was only just able to get to this project today my friend.

So I am going to have to decide between the following 2 courses of action: 1) DEMAND the dealer fix it for free due to it being a recalled issue in 2017, or 2) Buy the part online and fix it myself...

post #110 of 130 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
I hear you about the dealership fees for work. I use the dealership to diagnose any car issues I have for free and get a free car wash out of it. I then usually DIY fix (leaks in cabin, center shaft bearing, etc) or take the car to my local small shop (brakes, transmission fluid, etc). I never pay the dealer to do any work.

I did open the car up and there was a cut-out on the driver side. Not on the passenger side. No receipts from prior work. Dude -- ask for a 4th time if you want... I was only just able to get to this project today my friend.

So I am going to have to decide between the following 2 courses of action: 1) DEMAND the dealer fix it for free due to it being a recalled issue in 2017, or 2) Buy the part online and fix it myself...

Your time is more important than a lousy car wash (they will scratch it). I just know how they operate (30 years of European car ownership). In my opinion, the flange is not bad. They didn't seat the rubber seal correctly or used the old retainer ring and not torqued correctly. I replaced both fuel pumps, driver side fuel flange (fuel filter internally), passenger side (regulator), 2 new rings and 2 new seals. It is a messy job (never fun dealing with gas), but I picked up new VDO fuel pumps for $120 each. I just don't have the time and patience to deal with inferior workers. I work in the investment management field and trust me that I do a better job than the dealership. Due to lack of time, I used to have the dealership work on my car. The end result was terrible.

If you can't get VW Kelly to fixed their mistake, go to a place like Autobahn Performance (I don't know them... just Googled) or do it your self. If they deny the claim, I would first open the lid and see if it really is leaking. It might need to be torqued (you can use a large screwdriver and hammer). I also disconnected the battery and let it sit for some time (static charge). I am no mechanic, although I have a good mechanical background from some higher education in Switzerland. But I was able to tackle this job. It is not fun, but when I see some guys paying $1500 for fuel pumps and flange; I did both sides in 1 day (easy, lunch, talking to kids) and saved over 1k. It is not for everyone. Let us know how it works out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode