Rust proofing - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 33 Old 12-01-2011 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2012 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Rust proofing

Just took delivery of my Treg. Drive home was pure orgasmic!

Anyway to the point: does anyone rust proof their undercarriage? I was thinking of grabbing some rust inhibitor at a local supply store and stray the metal underneath the car for good measure since snow is just around the corner.

Is this a good idea or will it be bad?

Thanks for your input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 12-01-2011
Administrator

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: too many to list
Bad idea, VWs are already hot wax dipped so all the underbody and its crevaces are rustproofed from the factory.

-------------------------------------------------
2013 Touareg TDI Black Pearl / Titan Black
--PREVIOUS TOUAREGS:
'09 TDI, '07 V8 FSI, '04 V10 TDI, '04 VR6
post #3 of 33 Old 12-01-2011
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2011 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: is jealous
what ^^^ he said!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 Old 12-01-2011

Touareg: Still looking
I'll only agree because rustproofing may void your 12 year rust perforation warranty, however to say that VW made the cars immune to the vigours of our climate(I mean OURS), is complete rubbish. I'm presently, as we speak, waiting up on a rust perforation warranty claim with VW, on four different areas on my Touareg. Two bubbling areas on the rocker panel, two 2mm bubbles on the rear hatch near the VW emblem, and one under the moulding again front portion of the rocker. One was already covered and repaired last year, drivers door bottom corner. Ditto also on my ex-2005 Passat TDI. Small bubble forming on the trunk lid underside, repaired by VW on their dime. Needless to say, all this has left me slightly disappointed, but hey, they are willing to pay for it, and 12 years/unlimited mileage is a long time.

My point to the story. If I had the option to, I would have gladly taken my own initiative, to do a DIY and rustproof my VW's. All this body shop downtime, I confidently feel would have been averted. I owned an E30 BMW( a vehicle known to rust badly) for close to 20 years, and it's underside belly had less rust than my 6 year old Touareg does today, and yes I did drive the E30 in the winter back in the day, BUT the thing was rattled with my own concoction of various mixes .

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #5 of 33 Old 12-02-2011
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2010 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
rust proofing

Don't mean to high-jack the thread but I have a similar question to add. Would the use of "Krown" be beneficial or would it void VW warranty. It's considered a corrosion inhibitor.

Walton AKA 92c2targa#119
2010 TDI Campanella White on Anthracite with Sport Package.
Other Rides:
Dodge Ram; BMW 328xi; BMW X3; 911 4GTS
post #6 of 33 Old 12-02-2011
Touareg Addict

Second Vehicle: Other
I am surprised to find a thread that is so similar in nature with the one I’ve started a couple of weeks ago. I was also thinking about applying a layer of a rubberized rust protector on known trouble spots of the Touareg underbody. The consensus was that it isn’t necessary and this thing never rusts – thus there is no such thing as known trouble spots. Now I hear about rust perforation in here and in there…Well, there are no miracles, hot waxed or no – if roads are covered with sand and salt there will be rust no matter what, would it? It is interesting that you folks are talking about voidance of warranty if a protection compound is applied. How that could be? Where does is say so in the warranty book? I will be applying that rubberized rust protector, whatever the brand name is, which I’ve successfully used on my last three vehicles. It is sold by NAPA, it is cheap and easy to apply as it comes in a spray can. And, BTW, it is really easy to remove using anything auto-grade made for tar/oil/asphalt spots removal.
post #7 of 33 Old 12-02-2011
Touareg Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickm View Post
Bad idea, VWs are already hot wax dipped so all the underbody and its crevaces are rustproofed from the factory.
I don't think this is a bad idea. Granted VW dips the hell out of their vehicles with cosmoline, but over time, specifically in a hot environment, it drips and runs out of every orifice on the vehicle.

Every VW I've owned has done this, moreso on newer models (20AE GTI, R32, MKV Jetta). Hell even my 90 and 91 Corrado G60's still exhibited cosmoline drip 10 years after I acquired them.

It's the OP's call...I'd say it's dependent on climate and whether or not there's any of the cosmoline left.
post #8 of 33 Old 12-02-2011 Thread Starter

Second Vehicle: Still looking
Thanks and you guys are right. I looked underneath and see waxy drips between the panel (looks like candle wax). My intention was to spray a can of rust inhibitor around the suspension components and exposed metal (other than the exhaust of course because that will vapourize the spray).

Another question, is this safe if overspray goto onto rubber components such as rubber bushing, boot, brake hose etc. Sorry if my question seem noobish since I have never own this type of vehicle before so I don't know its design inside out.
post #9 of 33 Old 12-02-2011

Quality rust inhibitors won't deteriorate the rubber components.

As for warranty being void, I suggest some of you guys go straight to the horses mouth in person. Ask the question at the source, where you would most likely go in for a claim, and see what they tell you. Best to ask for the service manager on this question. These things are written in stone, but you don't want to give these people any room to manoeuvre come claim time, as that would be a sure pity.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #10 of 33 Old 12-03-2011

Oops...sorry I meant to write these things ARE NOT written in stone up above.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode