Reset service interval - Club Touareg Forums
 2Likes

post #1 of 17 Old 06-08-2019 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Reset service interval

Hello folks and thanks in advance for all the wisdom on this forum. I bought this 2014 TDI or year ago. It had 36,000 miles on it. I changed the oil at 40,000 miles with Total from IDparts. At 50,000 I changed again with liquiMolyfrom FCPEuro. I’m now at 55,000 miles, and a few weeks ago I got the alert that service was needed in whatever number of days and miles. Can I reset this myself without a VAG-COM? I have a deep distrust for dealerships and their service departments. I wish it wasn’t that way but they did it to themselves. I do all the work on my vehicles and prefer it that way. Thanks again!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	67935677-A4FC-49A0-A5C9-09EBE941EFC0_1560002765707.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	459.9 KB
ID:	223635  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 06-08-2019
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2016 V6 TDI
The 2-year/20,000 mile Inspection service is more than just an oil change - I believe a dealer or VCDS is needed to reset that counter - the user can reset the Oil Change counter.

2015 (16MY) Touareg SE 258 bhp
post #3 of 17 Old 06-08-2019 Thread Starter

@Black Grouse , ok but are we talking 20k total or are you calculating 36k + 20k?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 06-08-2019
Touareg Mechanic

My 2016 Touareg has a choice of two regimes - Flexible Servicing is "up to" 2 years/20,000 miles dependent on driving conditions, so typically every 15,000-18,000 miles - Fixed Time/Mileage Servicing is an oil change every 1 year/10,000 miles with an Inspection every 2 years/20,000 miles - the latter is recommended for "keepers"

post #5 of 17 Old 06-08-2019 Thread Starter

Got it, Black Grouse. Is it necessary to take it to be serviced? What is involved in this service? According to my service manual, 50k is quite comprehensive but as I stated, i did the necessary filter replacements and inspected everything else for integrity. As an example of the dealership service crew incompetence, the last time I took my car (not a Touareg) to be serviced for a recall fix, the mechanics literally ruined my cars engine and the car had to be sold. I don’t trust most mechanics farther than I can throw them!
post #6 of 17 Old 06-08-2019 Thread Starter

So I did some digging around in other places, tried a few things on my own. There are 2 types of service: interval service and inspection service. Using the touchpad I can reset my interval service but not inspection service, and this is where the car owner has a choice of bringing it to some schmuck to get squared away, or spending $$$ on a vcds. Tally-ho!
post #7 of 17 Old 06-08-2019
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
If you are keen on doing your own maintenance you need VCDS from Ross Tech.

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA & facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 & facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7 [Not available in "VW Atlas" North America!]
Read Wikipedia:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

T1 & T2 buyers MUST read:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Use Google or Bing to search by typing in: site:
followed by what you seek
The Following User Says Thank You to noobytoogy For This Useful Post:
paratreg (06-09-2019)
post #8 of 17 Old 06-08-2019

Second Vehicle: VW 2
Garage
FYI - If you only need a cheap reset tool - check Amazon for XTool's VAG401. It will reset the small and big service interval to the odometer set points you want. Cheap - under $65.

'16 Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI Execline | '12 Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline
~~I'd get better mileage if I would just drive slower...

The Following User Says Thank You to gilty_one For This Useful Post:
paratreg (06-09-2019)
post #9 of 17 Old 06-08-2019
Touareg Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by paratreg View Post
So I did some digging around in other places, tried a few things on my own. There are 2 types of service: interval service and inspection service. Using the touchpad I can reset my interval service but not inspection service, and this is where the car owner has a choice of bringing it to some schmuck to get squared away, or spending $$$ on a vcds. Tally-ho!

VCDS isn't mega-bucks - and essential if you do your own maintenance - it's about the cost of one dealer service. I have VCDS despite no longer doing my own servicing as I'm too old now to get down and dirty, at least I can do my own diagnostics if faults arise.

The Following User Says Thank You to Black Grouse For This Useful Post:
paratreg (06-09-2019)
post #10 of 17 Old 06-10-2019
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2011 V6 FSI
On our 11 VR6 the "wrench" and "Service Now" is a 40K interval setting that I have had reset at the dealer, even though I have a Ross-Tech cable I have not tried this reset myself.

Dealer will give you a ton of BS as to all the things that are required at the 40K intervals that end up costing over $500 but I have negotiated this down last time (80K) to 1 hour of Labor because tech has to bring vehicle into his service area, hook into ECU with their computer, supposedly run a full diagnostic check and then reset for another 40K interval. Supposedly the ECU scan gets uploaded to VW and recorded in the VIN service record.

I am sure this takes the tech no more than 1/2 hour but I am ok with paying them the hour and VW knowing all is good with the Touareg.

FWIW there are different procedures for resetting the inspection service in VW's and Audi's with Ross-Tech software depending on the vehicle, if anyone has the step by step procedure for the T3 and would like to share I would be interested in doing next reset my self as our Touareg is within 1K miles of this currently.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode