Rear passenger door, water when opened. - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 4 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2011 V6 FSI
Second Vehicle: Other
Garage
Rear passenger door, water when opened.

OK I've read a lot of threads about water leaks into the interior of these Tregs due to blocked various drains. Usually most if not all of these result in a wet interior somewhere.
My situation is a bit different. My interior is absolutely dry. No wet headliner/door pillars/footwells/carpets.
The thing is after a decent rain I open the rear passenger door and water drops to the pavement. None of the other doors exhibit this symptom when they're opened.

It seems like the water is getting trapped at the bottom vertical side of the door sill and the plastic fins on the bottom of the door itself. There is no wetness on or above the rubber seal at the side top side of the door sill, but just underneath that seal.
Anyone else run into this on their T3?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
Sounds more like condensation to me.... are you in a hot climate?
post #3 of 4 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2011 V6 FSI
Second Vehicle: Other
Garage
Hasn't been hot at all lately.
Condensation would be one explanation if 1- it didn't happen after each rain, 2- it wasn't at least 1/2 cup or so of water being held there.
I totally dried the area last night, and today had the Treg washed. After the wash when I opened that door to get a better look, some water dropped to the ground. It seems like the water is getting in somewhere at the top of the door seal and getting hung up between the bottom of the seal on the door and the seal on the side of the door sill. Just gotta' figure out where it's getting in, and or why it's getting held in there.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2008 R5 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
It still could be condensation. And your "problem" might be caused by that door sealing a lot better than the others, which could trap all the condensate water behind the seals, until you open it. Whereas the other doors might have worse sealing, and the water could just evaporate more easily.

Half a cup of water is virtually nothing, and the fact that the water gets released when you open the door also makes it obviously that it only stays there because it's - literally- sealed in there, not because it accumulating in either the sill or the in door itself.

If you're still worried, you can check the rubber seals at the bottom of the door and clean the openings they have at their ends, to make sure that whatever water gets into the door itself can flow out freely at the bottom.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode