Club Touareg Forum banner

R5 maintenance

33K views 69 replies 17 participants last post by  JonyTreg7L 
#1 ·
I know there are no R5's in NA, but there is always someone from Europe, Australia with a question about this Touareg so I started a thread.

First thing any R5 owner should know is the correct oil for it. Generally on a R5 engine without DPF you should use 505.01 or 506.01. It is important to use the correct oil for this engine as some members reported cam shaft wear. R5 engine with DPF fitted uses 507.00 formula oil.

Second thing, this engine comes from a VW Transporter van, so much more parts available in Europe for it. It uses wheels and wheel hubs, discs, pads from a transporter van and the bolt pattern is 5x120. You can also fit 16˝ steel rims on this touareg.

This engine is not a common rail diesel, its a pump-nozzle system. You can find and buy this engine with a manual gearbox, which I personally prefer over the automatic. On the automatic transmission valve body/chest usually fails, and that is a problem with all other touaregs. On the manual, the dual mass flywheel can fail but usually above 180K miles. Symptoms are hard knocking form under the armrest and shifter while the car is neutral and clutch slipping when trying to put it in gear.

Maintenance, (except the regular one: oil, brake fluid, cooler fluid, oil, air, air-con and fuel filter) since this engine is gear driven there are no belts or chains to replace, there are only alternator and AC-compressor freewheels and pulleys that can and will fail. This is listed in the manual at 190000 kilometers, but you should change them every 60 000 kilometers. If the alternator pulley fails you can drive another 50 kilometers maximum as it discharges the battery. If the AC compressor fails, you can drive it without a limit and fix it in hotter days. It is important to replace both, pulley and freewheel, not just one because they go in pairs. Both sets of pulleys and freewheels are completely identical.

Even if they say that the diff and manual gearbox oils are sealed for life, you can and should change them at 100K miles.

Other things like propshaft bearing, stepper motor are same on every touareg so you can find them on this forum easily. Also, the prop-shaft fitted in a R5 and V10 is not same like in other touaregs.

If anyone recalls something else about the R5 engine feel free to update.

See less See more
#37 ·
That engine works hard and the sump is pretty large.

Rather a tad overfilled to aid cooling than under filled. Did you use 505.01 or 506.01 spec? No other spec will do!

#40 ·
which shell oil is that?

the 505.01 we get here is Helix HX7 AV which is 5w-30

#44 ·
Have you checked oil level?

Have you checked oil pressure sensor connecting wire?

#47 ·
+1
Top off the oil and check to see if you can identify oil leaks under the engine.

My 07 V6 uses about 0.3 L between oil changes (8000-9500 km). If the oil light turns off you can drive the car to a local VW dealership for inspection if you are still worried. I would think if there are no other malfunction lights or weird noises then maybe it is even safe to drive home to your usual dealership.

#48 ·
The reason I am trying to get help is that I do not know what oil to use because I do not have my oil here where I am right now (Greece). Should I use any oil which I can find? What if I drive back 530 KM more at this level I have right now? Is it going to damage something inside the engine?

#49 ·
Rather fill up with the wrong spec than not filling up at all.

The spec you want is 505.01

#50 ·
You should be able to find many oils meeting the VW spec for your engine. For my V6 I need 502/505. I am not sure about the TDI.

Here is a TDI engine oil list that I could find, but I am not sure if this meets your engine's specification: Engine oil list for TDI diesel | VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze diesel forum

Look in your owner's manual for the proper specification. You can contact a local VW dealership to purchase oil. VW Greece: Volkswagen Greece
However, it is all Greek to me. ;)

http://www.volkswagen.gr/el.html

#51 ·
Thank you SamT, I agree with you even if you missed the 'r'. Greek = G(r)eek.

And thankyou Piccanini as usual. Then I am going to get some oil and fill up for about half a litre, even if it will be a wrong spec. Mine is definitely a 506.01 as I have long discussed with you guys before about this. For 530 KM more to go on my way back I believe nothing wrong will happen, at least compared to the scenario that I wouldn't make any additions at all. Piccanini, please confirm the above.

#53 ·
Guys, I have a 2004 R5 TDI which i bought about a month back and i love it. No issues, drives like a dream. I've read all the threads about oil, and still have a question. Perhaps the answer to this is in the posts somewhere and i've missed it, but in any case, i'm hoping someone can clarify something for me.

The vehicle paperwork includes a special supplement for Australian Touaregs which states as follows regarding oil:

"All diesel engined Touareg vehicles must use Volkswagen Specification VW 506.01 engine oil ...."

So it seems clear to me which oil i need to use for my vehicle, however i just want to know for sure whether my Touareg has a DPF or not. Based on the threads i've read, i assume my vehicle doesn't have a DPF, but is there any way to tell for sure?

Thanks kindly
Jason

#54 ·
I doubt you have a DPF.

You can use 505.01 or 506.01

Do NOT use 507.00 (even if the dealer says it's fine - it isn't!)

#56 ·
In Oz we don’t have aggressive emmisions laws like the states and Europe so id doubt it. We don’t even run adblue in Australia in the Touaregs

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.