PSA: Slow acceleration at low speeds, but not at high speeds = EGR vacuum leak - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 3 Old 05-11-2019 Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2008 R5 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
PSA: Slow acceleration at low speeds, but not at high speeds = EGR vacuum leak

Albeit in retrospect this looks obvious and easy, it was actually hard to figure out. So, I'm just writing and leaving this here for others, who might encounter the same or similar symptoms, but just as me, can't figure out (well, at least for a while) what's wrong with the car.

So, if you've an engine with
1. vacuum actuated turbo
and
2. vacuum actuated EGR cooler valve and/or EGR valve
and
3. you're experiencing
- loud engine and slow acceleration when the engine is cold, is in low gears and the car is going at low speeds (like when you're launching after a stop at a traffic light)
- but good acceleration and only light engine load at higher gears and higher speeds, and when the engine is warm
- your idle sounds rough, the engine warms up slowly, but when it does, your idle also gets a lot smoother
- you've medium-level turbo lag (ie. you floor the pedal and it only starts to accelerate after a second)
- despite all of these you have no boost (turbo), EGR or any other codes thrown
then your problem might be

A VACUUM LEAK IN THE VACUUM LINES OR AT THE DIAPHRAGM(S) OF THE EGR COOLER VALVE OR EGR VALVE.

You can obviously test for this with a vacuum tester device, by checking first the vacuum lines, then either directly or through the lines the vacuum actuators themselves, whether they all can hold vacuum. If you have a small leak somewhere, they will not hold the vacuum, or if you've a larger leak, you won't be able to create a vacuum in them in the first place.

Now, the explanation for the weird symptoms and no codes (not even intermittent ones) thrown is, that the leak in the vacuum lines of the EGR valves is causing problems in the turbo control through the same vacuum line system. Obviously if air can enter into the vacuum lines (at the EGR valves or somewhere else), then when the ECU tries to actuate the turbo vanes through the vacuum lines, it can't actually actuate it, because of the lack of proper and strong enough vacuum in the vacuum system.

Under normal circumstances such control problems (for whatever reason they're happening) would throw some fault codes (typically an underboost code) after a while. However, because the EGR valve and EGR cooler valve are only actuated occasionally and for short periods of time during normal driving, the problem with their vacuum lines actually unable to hold vacuum is only causing problems for similarly short periods of time - which will not be enough to throw a code, because the ECU will accept them as part of normal working tolerances. Also, the vacuum system itself can compensate for the loss of the vacuum (ie. it can generate more), but only with a slight delay.

This occasional malfunction in / strain on the vacuum system is what's actually causing the symptoms mentioned above. In short, whenever the ECU tries to actuate the EGR valves, because of the vacuum leak, it partially looses the ability to actuate also the turbo vanes properly at the same time - and that's what's causing an increased load on the engine, lack of power, but mostly only when the engine is cold, and when you're trying to accelerate in low gears at low speed.

The solution to the problem is obviously stopping the leak, by replacing the damaged vacuum line(s) or actuator(s). However, as an intermediary countermeasure and when it's not a vacuum line but an actuator diaphragm at a valve that's damaged, the vacuum leak can be stopped by disconnecting the vacuum line from the damaged valve, and plugging it (ie. the vacuum line) with an appropriately thick bolt. This will not make the actuator and the valve work again (which didn't work anyway because of the vacuum leak), but at least will allow proper vacuum through the vacuum system to be preserved, and actuate the turbo vane rod instantly and with appropriate force, at all times.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gnits For This Useful Post:
radef (05-28-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-23-2019
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2006 V8
Second Vehicle: 2013 V6 TDI
Thanks for taking the time to write all of that.

Found your post through search function because I suspect that my turbo isn't providing enough boost, which would explain my low mpg and passing power while towing my trailer.

06 Touareg V8
13 Touareg Lux TDI
post #3 of 3 Old 05-23-2019 Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2008 R5 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by VWRalf View Post
Found your post through search function because I suspect that my turbo isn't providing enough boost, which would explain my low mpg and passing power while towing my trailer.
You could just have a "regular" underboost condition (because of a worn turbo, or a leak along the intake, or due to the fault of the N75 solenoid) that's not yet severe enough to trip an underboost code and a CEL. I suggest you do a log of requested and actual boost pressure MVBs in the ECU using VCDS during a trip, to check whether you indeed have a boost problem, and go from there in finding the source of the lacking engine performance.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode