Club Touareg Forum banner

Paint Peeling On Switches

19K views 23 replies 18 participants last post by  enchanted egg 
#1 ·
Can anyone share their experiences with touching up/repairing some of the paint peeling on these parts of the Touareg. I know there has been some discussion on this, but it's mostly related to if the dealer will cover it.

Here is what I'm dealing with:

See less See more
#2 ·
I've had a couple minor areas to touch up. I used Tamyia satin black hobby paint to fill in the white. A Q-Tip was the tool of choice which allowed me to blend in to the existing black. Now, this is fine for edges of buttons and similar but gets tricky when numbers and letters are involved. The window buttons see so much use I feel the paint trick may not last. I've seen that 1stvwparts.com has the window switch unit for $43 + shipping and the surrounding trim for $24. I'm going to order the trim plate myself and give that a go.

#3 ·
Interesting.
I've had several "new" VW's (MKIV and newer) and have never experienced this. Even after an accumulated several hundred thousand kms of driving...

Are you using your nail to push the buttons?

Another common issue which happens is that the soft painted surface on/around the door handle area begins to flake away due to their rings scratching at it.

What year is your Treg? If it were mine I would be at the dealerships hassling them for warranty.

#5 ·
I have the switches on order for the same problem. Should be getting the call any day now about setting up an appointment to get them replaced. My dealer didn't give any me any problem about the switches at all.

Good luck

Cya

#6 ·
Someone should move this to a forum where it will get more views. I know this is a pretty common issue with these cars, I think a guys have found some pretty creative fixes.

#7 ·
A vinyl repair company migt be able to help. Some use a black marker or fingernail polish.
These switches are painted with some sort of rubber that wears real easy

#14 ·
I used a black permanent marker on the window switches, but I'm considering having the "scroll-button" side switches on the steering wheel replaced. Mine's warn around the "OK" area very similar to the OP, but it's difficult to fix that and still have it looking semi decent.

I asked my dealer about warranty. He said I can forget about it. Depending on the cost of the switches, I'll maybe buy it and put it in myself.

#8 ·
Guys,

I have a charcoal / black switch panel for the drivers door with the surround for sale and its in excellent condition as its only seen 20k of use.

Will take 60 USD inc shipping for it if anyone is interested. It is for a US spec car despite me being in the UK.

Thanks
Scott

#11 ·
I got mine back yesterday from dealer and everything went well. No cost to me at all and they even replaced the fuel & rear gate buttons just for good measure.

Good luck

Cya

#16 ·
Great fix for buttons...

I have had the peeling problem mostly with a 2001 MkIV Jetta, but we've also been noticing it on our 60Kmi Rex-V8. Here's what I have done with very good results:

Get a FINE POINT Sharpie, and ensure you have either excellent eyesight or get magnifying glasses for the job.

With a very steady hand, lots of good lighting, and the magnifying glasses on, I was able to reconstruct the little "dash" on the Accept portion of the ratio, and on several other ares (including fan control on AC).

I've had to do it twice now (about a year apart), but it really made a difference: Makes the interior look almost indistinguishable from new.

#17 ·
I take one look at the pics....it's just plain wear 'n tear and/or a lot of button pushing, as with any other make or model you'll get the same effect. I can't see how it's warranty unless it's a near new vehicle, even then, it's a big ask. Your skin also excretes acid, so in some warm/humid climates it won't help.

#18 ·
I take one look at the pics....it's just plain wear 'n tear and/or a lot of button pushing, as with any other make or model you'll get the same effect. I can't see how it's warranty unless it's a near new vehicle, even then, it's a big ask. Your skin also excretes acid, so in some warm/humid climates it won't help.

No, its just bad paint on the switches. the newer versions don't have this issues but if you scrape your finger on any black plastic part in my interior you'll peel off the rubberized coating.

This is not normal wear and tear, its crappy paint or a crappy process for painting the switches. I've been slowly replacing all the interior parts with the newer non soft touch parts, but it isn't cheap....

#19 ·
If your car is under warranty it is covered. However from what I hear the new switches are not the same (as in the potentiometer for the sun roof which is no longer illuminated).

siberian

#21 ·
I just ordered the parts of the 1stvw.com website using an '07 touareg as the vehicle. As far as I'm aware the soft touch parts are no longer produced, so maybe you got a part that was old stock sitting on a shelf.

#24 ·
Model Paint Works Fine

I too had the same wear issues. Window switches on the drivers' door, roll knob on the steering wheel and upper and lower buttons, center stack, etc. So while I was at the hobby store the other day I bought a small bottle of Testors flat black enamel paint. A warm morning in the sun, a small brush and a few strokes later, all my switches are touched up and looking like new. What I will do next time is get a much finer brush so the itty bitty strokes are a tad smoother. But that's just my personal desire to make the finish look almost factory new when up close.

Otherwise I think for $1.49 plus tax it was a very good repair.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.