Oil Filter Housing Leak Dealer Charged 10 hours - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 3 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Oil Filter Housing Leak Dealer Charged 10 hours

Just picked up my 2013 Touareg and the oil filter housing was leaking coolant. This is the plastic part where the oil filter is located and the electronic thermostat. It is bolted on with 9 bolts and I can visibly see all of them. There is one aluminum pipe blocking it and a few clamp on hoses and two plug in sensors. I was told all pullys had to come off, including the crankshaft pully and seals, removed egr cooler, and remove a front engine support. about 10 hours of labor.

I for the life of me can't see why all the pullys and crankshaft and front support had to come off. The crankshaft is 2 feet away and this housing sits bolted on tot the front top of the block. Anyone have a manual that can verify if all this had to come off to change this oil filter housing?

Im guessing I could have it off it less than an hour. Almost $1800 for this repair and another $2000 quoted for leak under manifold.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9633.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	566.8 KB
ID:	222439  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 1 Week Ago
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2006 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: 2006 V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by teedeeeye View Post
Just picked up my 2013 Touareg and the oil filter housing was leaking coolant. This is the plastic part where the oil filter is located and the electronic thermostat. It is bolted on with 9 bolts and I can visibly see all of them. There is one aluminum pipe blocking it and a few clamp on hoses and two plug in sensors. I was told all pullys had to come off, including the crankshaft pully and seals, removed egr cooler, and remove a front engine support. about 10 hours of labor.

I for the life of me can't see why all the pullys and crankshaft and front support had to come off. The crankshaft is 2 feet away and this housing sits bolted on tot the front top of the block. Anyone have a manual that can verify if all this had to come off to change this oil filter housing?

Im guessing I could have it off it less than an hour. Almost $1800 for this repair and another $2000 quoted for leak under manifold.

I have replaced that housing before and i can assure you the crankshaft pulley doesn't need to come off. (and it is an easy job 5 out of 10 on difficulty)

When i did it last i had the coolant pump out so maybe that pulley needs to come off but that takes 2 mins.

Max 2 hrs

The ripoff bit is that you cannot buy the gasket even after market for the housing hat i can find you have to buy the whole housing (bloody VW parts gouging)

The coolant leak on these can be hard to find in the valley but 2k sound excessive.

regards
Drag
post #3 of 3 Old 1 Week Ago
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2006 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
I had oil leak from the oil filter housing, I was asked to change the whole housing. The kicker being VW did not have housing anywhere so they had to order it from manufacturer. Of course it took them close to a month to get moving, so then I started sending nasty letters to VW top brass in VA. Finally things got moving and i got the part. I even forced VW to pay half of the rental. But in the mean time I went ahead and bought a brand new housing at throw away price. So now I have one housing sitting at home, in case I need it.

Yes! The dealers are thieves, they charged me 1800 for the housing where I had received a quote for 1500 from the same dealer.

My baby: 1969 300SEL 6.3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode