My DIY timing belt/water pump/thermostat and more service! : Pictures and Question - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 30 Old 08-05-2009 Thread Starter

My DIY timing belt/water pump/thermostat and more service! : Pictures and Question

Well after debating doing this project myself or going to a local shop in Atlanta. I decided to go for it and tackle it myself. I started taking the front of the Treg apart tonight and didn't start until I saw motor! Don't even have a manual yet. My bentley cd should be here tomorrow or next. Here's a pic of how I left her tonight.

Got a question. There are these bellows? Look like vacuum actuated with plastic rods which should be attached to levers on the intake manifold. I tried to do some research but didn't find much. What are these? Mine are broken as you can see in the pic.

I'll keep taking pictures and posting my progress as long as people are interested. I'll try to document what I can with pictures or if I find things that aren't in the manual.

Thanks!

Lee

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 08-06-2009
Touareg Mechanic

Try a search,someone in earlier post made replacement parts for the plastic levers,Marty
post #3 of 30 Old 08-06-2009
Touareg Mechanic

Search plastic links or
anyone else have the same problem?
Marty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 08-06-2009
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
Garage
Wow, that is a lot of work. Does the dealer take the whole front end off when they are doing a replacement?

2014 TDI Execline R Line Black
2011 GTI Tornado Red 4Dr DSG
post #5 of 30 Old 08-06-2009
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2005 V6
Wow! Outstanding man. That'll make a great addition to the DIY section. Your going to be a legend on the forum when your done. The way you've got it gives you all the room you need to work the timing belt replacement.

Oh...those broken links control a variable induction within the manifold. Get those hooked back up and your V8 will come to life.

Congrats on the adventure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2005-V6-
Venetian Green-Pure Beige Leather
-Navigation-Steel Suspension-Lux
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 30 Old 08-06-2009
Touareg Addict

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Great stuff! I was wondering when someone with a V8 would be posting a DIY on the timing belt change. Good for you for giving it a go, and I look forward to your updates!

And, Depiry's right, those plastic links have a thread devoted to them at this thread: https://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f4...lem-19608.html

Good luck!
Matt

Gone, but never forgotten: 2005 V6, Shadow Blue/Kristal Grey, Package 1 (Xenons/Sound 1)

Bye bye Blue...

|
|
post #7 of 30 Old 08-06-2009 Thread Starter

Yes, found another post on here that addresses the problem of the broken plastic rods for the intake manifold valves.

https://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f4...lem-19608.html

I think I plan on fabricating something myself. Nothing fancy with cnc machines . Just some bolts, rods, couple bushings. I'll post a write up about it. Should be pretty cheap and last the life of the engine.

Going to the beach for a few days. My parts will be here Tuesday when I get back.

Moderator, Should this thread be moved to DIY section? If not I'll start a new one there with my write ups.

Lee
post #8 of 30 Old 08-06-2009 Thread Starter

Matt we posted at almost the same time!! haha

I didn't take any pictures until I got the whole front off, but I'm going to start now and take as many good pictures as I can and do a write up with all the little things that the bentley manual may not address.
post #9 of 30 Old 08-11-2009

Touareg: 2004 V8
What happened to this thread? Any updates? I was hoping someone else would blaze the trail on the TB, as I need to do this soon.

Regards,
Brent
post #10 of 30 Old 08-11-2009
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2005 V6
For some funny reason I keep coming back to this post to stare at the pictures. Amazing to see the front opened up like that.

2005-V6-
Venetian Green-Pure Beige Leather
-Navigation-Steel Suspension-Lux

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode