Club Touareg Forum banner

Load carrying capability in the back?

7K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  NorthVan 
#1 ·
Hi, new to the forum...i have an 05 V8 and I'm wondering what folks have done when they've needed to haul/move heavy loads - besides borrow a pickup :)

I know they're not really designed for hauling weight but I need to move about 30 bags of gravel at 50lbs each. My thought is to not load more than about 750lbs in the back of the Treg just to be reasonable.

Thoughts?

#3 ·
I've moved ten bags of chicken feed at 50# per bag numerous times. The car handled it just fine. I think a couple of 750# loads wouldn't hurt. Just don't hit any potholes or take the slalom course on the way home. :)

#4 ·
Lowwer the back seat and load up in the middle.
It carries four large adults at 250 lbs too.
The bags represent 3 you are number4 so no issues but indeed a trailer would be handier

#5 ·
That was my thought, the thing is designed for decent person load so I figured 750 + me would be in the range with it distributed throughout the back. I loaded about 1000lbs in my old bronco yesterday and the soft suspension practically had it on the bump stops the whole way home...it wasn't feeling too good to drive but it did take a lot of squeaks out of the body. I shoulda kept my pickup. :)

#7 ·
In terms of it hauling weight, its pretty much the same as any 1/2 ton, payload is around 1200-1300 lbs, which is where most crew cab 1/2 tons are at.

Personally I'd just buy a utility trailer and load it up...I bought a 4x8 with 3500lb cargo capacity for $600 bucks. Gives me 1 ton dually capability!!

#8 ·
Bought this for the same money:
This way you can carry max pulling load for the treg haha

Problem for the topic starter might be that he might not have a hitch which makes pulling a bit tougher

#13 ·
Nope is it an 18 ft bed. The first two feet is a box which is very handy and easily comes apart if you need the whole 18 feet. The Treg hauls it effortlessly, even though the gate works like a parachute
Luckily I do not have a storage problem (I have 4 acres)
However I might sign a contract on a different house any day but the new one still has 1.5 acres so plenty of room still
I also have a vintage trailer that is over 70 years old. Got a T Ford axle underneath:cool:.

I use that for hauling brush

#11 ·
A hitch mount cargo carrier might work better, its a roughly 5' wide by 2 or 3 foot deep metal unit that attached to your trailer hitch...most have a 500-600lbs carrying capacity. Might help in cases where you have something with sharp edged and you don't want to risk damaging your interior, and also takes up less storage room.

#15 ·
I like what you've got on your trailer a lot better than what I had on there.(Iwas cleaning out a rental)
Loading capacity and size is about the same. Mine is not meant to carry cars but is capable of doing so. Bought it from someone who had a mowing business

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.