LEFT without my Key FOB - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 19 Old 05-05-2016 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2016 V6 FSI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
LEFT without my Key FOB

Hello All,

I live in Chicago, and as you may know, winters here are terrible. Anyhow, in the winter I start my truck and let it warm up, as I only have a carport, I bring the key inside. Like an Idiot I left the key in the house and drove off. I did not realize it until I shut the truck down.

Does anyone know if this can be re-programmed through VW. My brothers Cadillac, if its started, and the Key FOB is not in you pocket, you touch the brake to put it in gear, the Car shuts down.

Just wondering if anyone else has any input on this????

Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 05-05-2016
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
DOESN'T it say something on the MFD before you drive AWAY? "Key not in range" or similar?
The Following User Says Thank You to richyrich2 For This Useful Post:
ChicagoJoe (05-07-2016)
post #3 of 19 Old 05-05-2016
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2004 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoJoe View Post
Hello All,

I live in Chicago, and as you may know, winters here are terrible. Anyhow, in the winter I start my truck and let it warm up, as I only have a carport, I bring the key inside. Like an Idiot I left the key in the house and drove off. I did not realize it until I shut the truck down.

Does anyone know if this can be re-programmed through VW. My brothers Cadillac, if its started, and the Key FOB is not in you pocket, you touch the brake to put it in gear, the Car shuts down.

Just wondering if anyone else has any input on this????

Joe
Yes, the dealer [and ONLY the dealer] will be able to send for and program new key(s) if the old one(s) are gone. The best bet in your situation though - and probably cheaper if there isn't anyone to go and fetch the key for you (or you can't take a cab or bus or the train home - and back) - is to get your truck flat bed towed back home where you can go in, get your key, start it and drive it off the toe truck!
However, the dealer will almost certainly not be able to turn the truck into an imitation of a GM product by re programming the keyless go feature with different logic.

2008 M-B GL 320 CDI (wifes), 2000 Golf GL TDI (sold), 2004 Touareg V10 TDI (acquired 2/2011), 1984 Mitsubishi 4WD Pick Up turbodiesel (beater truck), location - SW Washington St, USA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 05-05-2016
The Moderator!

Touareg: 2010 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: a bicycle
Fourdiesel, the OP is asking if the Touareg could be programmed like his brothers Cadillac. Not asking about getting another fob at all.
I would say no it can't be or they already would have had that feature. As Richyrich said it does display a message in the MFI that the key is out of range. That alone should be your clue that you don't have your FOB with you. Mine goes in my pocket at the beginning of the day and never leaves until I come home and decide I am not going out anymore. The car will warm up faster if you just get in and drive it. Prewarming is not a good idea at all.

2010 Alaska Grey/Anthracite V6 TDI- Lux,Tech, Air and Hitch
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

04 Offroad Grey V6, gone, but will never be forgotten.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Yeti For This Useful Post:
ChicagoJoe (05-07-2016)
post #5 of 19 Old 05-05-2016
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2016 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
Garage
I'll be in Chicago next weekend, Joe. If you're still stuck, tell me where to get your key!

I think you're SOL with regard to any Onstar style software upload. Like suggested, get a lift, get your key, head back to the car.

Say...did you lock the house?

White over Anthracite 2016 TDI Executive
post #6 of 19 Old 05-05-2016
Touareg Guru

Touareg: 2012 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuffalo View Post
I'll be in Chicago next weekend, Joe. If you're still stuck, tell me where to get your key!
We need to get a beer!

2017 Porsche Macan
2012 Touareg TDI Exec (Cool Silver/Anthracite) | Warning Triangle | Auto Hold Switch | (she gone)
2007 Touareg V8 FSI (old) | 2006 Passat 3.6L Sport 1 (old) | 2003 Passat GLX (old)
The Following User Says Thank You to fincher For This Useful Post:
ChicagoJoe (05-07-2016)
post #7 of 19 Old 05-06-2016
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Given that my house and office key share the same keyring as the car key, I would be seeking a way to DISABLE keyless!!
The Following User Says Thank You to noobytoogy For This Useful Post:
ChicagoJoe (05-07-2016)
post #8 of 19 Old 05-06-2016 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2016 V6 FSI
Yes, but I dont often Look down at that. I am usually just jumping in and going. But my other problem is in the summer I take my dog with me and if I run into a store or whatever I would like to lock it while its running with the AC on. That would also work for the same at the house, if I could just lock it and bring the key inside I would not be able to just Jump back in the truck and take off.
post #9 of 19 Old 05-06-2016
Touareg Guru

Touareg: 2012 V6 TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoJoe View Post
Yes, but I dont often Look down at that. I am usually just jumping in and going. But my other problem is in the summer I take my dog with me and if I run into a store or whatever I would like to lock it while its running with the AC on. That would also work for the same at the house, if I could just lock it and bring the key inside I would not be able to just Jump back in the truck and take off.
I use the 'Rest' feature a lot in the dead of winter and dead of summer. Works for about 15 minutes. I usually slightly open the pano in the summer, too. Doesn't cover all of what you want to do but it helps.

2017 Porsche Macan
2012 Touareg TDI Exec (Cool Silver/Anthracite) | Warning Triangle | Auto Hold Switch | (she gone)
2007 Touareg V8 FSI (old) | 2006 Passat 3.6L Sport 1 (old) | 2003 Passat GLX (old)
The Following User Says Thank You to fincher For This Useful Post:
ChicagoJoe (05-06-2016)
post #10 of 19 Old 05-06-2016
The Moderator!

Touareg: 2010 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: a bicycle
Yes, put the FOB in your pocket, problem solved.

2010 Alaska Grey/Anthracite V6 TDI- Lux,Tech, Air and Hitch

04 Offroad Grey V6, gone, but will never be forgotten.
The Following User Says Thank You to Yeti For This Useful Post:
ChicagoJoe (05-07-2016)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode