Key Fob Not Working - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 9 Old 03-17-2005 Thread Starter

Key Fob Not Working

Yesterday my wife went to take the Treg shopping for the 1st time in about 2 months, as I usually take it to work. Her key fob would not (remotely) unlock the car. She tried all 3 buttons on the fob and none worked. She gave up and went shopping in her trusty Honda CRV. When I got home I tried to unlock the Treg using her key fob only to find out that she was right...it didn't work!

Quickly, I took out my key fob and like a charm it unlocked the doors. I tried to lock the doors using my wife's faulty key and again nothing happened. Very strange. Concluding that the battery in her key fob couldn't be dead (the car is only 4 months old) I opend the doors using my key fob and tried to start the car with my wife's. Lo and behold, the Treg started as expected. To make sure everything was OK, I drove the Treg around the block before turning it off, exiting the car, and locking the doors using my wife's key fob (automatic behavior).

Surprised that the doors locked, I then tried to unlock the doors and it WORKED! Now, I'm confused...my wife's key fob shouldn't have locked or unlocked the doors but it did and still does, as of this afternoon. Did using her key in the ignition reprogram the key fob or is there something else going on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-17-2005
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: Other
The Comfort Control Module lost its ability to recognize your keys. The fix is exactly what you did. Unlock it with the key and start the TOUAREG within 15-seconds - or the alarm will go off.

Once the vehicle starts, the key and 'T' talk back and forth to each other and the car remembers the key again.

It may happen to you again. If it repeatedly happens, you may need to have the CCM replaced.

2006 V6, Campy White, VIN 46xxx, Anthracite w/ Sound 1 and Xenon Headlight Upgrades, Monster Mats, 3M Window Tint, Euro Headlight Switch, Gorilla Gear Cargo Mat, Clear Bra, VW Tow Pkg, VW V8 Style Exhaust Tips, 18' Manhattans & Silver Racks
2013 Audi allroad: Ibis White with Layered Oak Inlays
post #3 of 9 Old 03-18-2005
Touareg Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to Bigscout79
Same thing happened to me - last week - my key as I am not the daily driver. I don't think I have the comfort control module though as my seat doesn't adjust to me based on the key. Could be me just misunderstanding lingo though.

I unlocked it using the keyfob manually and after the alarm went off in my friends subdivision at 2:30am I quickly started it. the next day it was working as normal.

-Jeff

2004 V8
1980 IH Scout II
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 03-18-2005
Touareg Guru

You do have the Comfort Control Module, because that's the system that allows you to set the door lock settings, speed settings, and all that happy stuff in the MFI.

2006 V6, Campy White, VIN 46xxx, Anthracite w/ Sound 1 and Xenon Headlight Upgrades, Monster Mats, 3M Window Tint, Euro Headlight Switch, Gorilla Gear Cargo Mat, Clear Bra, VW Tow Pkg, VW V8 Style Exhaust Tips, 18' Manhattans & Silver Racks
post #5 of 9 Old 03-18-2005 Thread Starter

TREGing - Assuming that this isn't a "persistent" problem, how often does my wife have to use her key fob to ensure that the Treg doesn't forget it ... that is, how often do I have to let her drive my car?
post #6 of 9 Old 03-19-2005
Touareg Guru

My wife only used her key twice in the 14-months we had our 2004 - otherwise, she used my key. She didn't have any problems with the car forgetting her key.

The problem I had was with my key --- that one that got used all the time.

My new 2005 has been flawless so far.... nearly 4-weeks into having it

post #7 of 9 Old 03-19-2005

This happens every month or so on mine. I use the key to enter the Treg, then press the unlock button and magically, it's all good again.

Offroad Grey, V8, NAV, Bi-X
post #8 of 9 Old 03-21-2005
jtb

Key Fob Not Working

How very strange. Mine did this on exactly the same day, however, it is my key and I use it daily! I locked it to go to a meeting and 1.5 hours later it would not unlock the doors. Insert key & open door, expect battery to be diminished but its not, start engine and drive home. (FYI-thanks to Club T-Reg I knew to try and start car in fifteen seconds)

Get home and grab my wifes fob that has not been used since owning the vehicle in four months. It locks/unlocks doors right away.

I just assumed it was a faulty fob battery for mine and have not tried it again.

Thanks to this forum I'll try it in the morning.......

2005 V6, Colly Red/Pure Beige, Package 3, Parking Aid

My other car isn't a car, its a Touareg.....
post #9 of 9 Old 03-22-2005
Touareg Mechanic

Send a message via MSN to 4x4s
You will see this behavior if the unlock button on your fob is pressed a number of times while out of range of your Touareg. The fob uses a rolling code, so several activations when out of range will get it out of sync with the car. (Like if it's in a pocket or purse, and is pressing against some other object unknowingly.)

If this happens, you should only have to unlock manualy (be aware that the lock light on the door remains flashing, so use the handle after the unlock, despite the light). You have 15 seconds to get the key in the ignition and turned to on before the alarm goes off.

'04 Touareg - V6, Bi-Xen, Reflex Silver with Anthracite interior

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode