Club Touareg Forum banner

Is the Touareg fun to drive?

8K views 45 replies 28 participants last post by  noobytoogy 
#1 ·
First post, but I've been lurking and reading on this site for awhile....

I have a 2000 S4 6speed now, but due to the birth of my second child, I am thinking of getting something different and more versatile. Touaregs are reasonable priced, capable (read the towing threads on here) and luxorious. Just wondering what they are like to drive?

Yes I know, go drive one.....which is something I plan on doing after the holidays. Just wanna get some input from current owners.....

Thanks!

Also, what sound system is the best in these? How does it sound?

#2 ·
Seriously, just go drive one and you will see why we all love them. Yes, it will not be as fast as the S4, but it is still a fun vehical to drive. You have an Audi already, so high maintenance cost does not scare you. If you have the option on what ever one you get, do get the extended warranty.

#6 ·
FUN - YES!!

Out of 3 cars I own, the Toauareg is the one I look forward to driving. Its the best long distance trip vehicle out there. With the V10 option I easily get mileage in the mid to high 20's. Now if diesel fuel would just come down to its normal level relative to regular.

#7 ·
it feels and has the exact same mannerisms as an Audi on stilts. I generally very much dislike the feel of trucks and SUVs, but the Treg is good enough that its my daily driver.

#8 ·
Fun???

Just cruise out to the Colorado Rally next summer in complete comfort.....Dial the suspension up for the mountain twisty highways and set sail.....Raise the suspension and and trail with us over the 12,000 foot passes....Sit on the top of Imogene Pass in a rain storm and watch the Jeeps come up in full rain gear and with blue lips while you are relaxed on heated seats!

Nah, they ain't much fun:cool::cool::cool:

Rick

#10 ·
I have owned a 2002 V8 Explorer, and driven a newer Cherokee. The Ford felt like a Sherman tank, and the Jeep just felt cheap.

The Touareg? I don't know how they do it, but it feels like a luxury car. I was sold upon the 1st test drive.

Yes, go and drive one and see for yourself. Good luck, and Congratulations to you and your wife for the upcoming new addition to your family!

#19 ·
I have owned a 2002 V8 Explorer, and driven a newer Cherokee. The Ford felt like a Sherman tank, and the Jeep just felt cheap.

The Touareg? I don't know how they do it, but it feels like a luxury car. I was sold upon the 1st test drive.

Yes, go and drive one and see for yourself. Good luck, and Congratulations to you and your wife for the upcoming new addition to your family!

I agree 100%, drove my 07 E-280 Mercedes over to the dealership and test drove the Touareg V6 TDI with air suspension. It was like I was only sitting higher off the ground. Same exact ride with a much better take-off.......

#11 ·
I'm a big Audi fan, I traded-in my lovely 2000 A4 for a 2004 Touareg V10. The Touareg is the most sport sedan-like SUV (especially in "sport" mode) I have ever driven. Comfortable, loads of fun, great daily driver and fits my big dog just fine. You want to be sure and check out that the backseat is big enough for the kids. Try out the TDIs (used V10 or new V6) with the air suspension. As with any German car, if you get a used... get an extended warranty. Oh one more thing... my V10 gets better milage than my 1.8T A4.

#12 ·
Yeh, the other day I was having a bit of a go against a WRX. It wasn't from start and at the time I didn't know it was a REX. I was on the outside lane accelerating round this long sweeper, when I realised it was a REX and that I was keeping with him ,I thought, gee this thing is really good. As the road straightened I looked down at the Speedo, 140 on the clock around a corner, I'd normally do at about 100 kph. When I noticed the speed I slowed straight away. Thing is ,this thing is so capable without stress, it just does anything and everything , I have 135,000 klms up, my car is supplied by my own company and I can change when I want, but I just can't find something that I'd rather have, other than another Treg, which I won't have until something major changes with the model.

Strongly recommend the diesel , don't forget fuel could be $4.00 a Gal again, also a diesel will last 500,000 klms with little work required other than service.

#14 ·
I know they are pricey new but I was able to get a 2004 Touareg V10 lease return for a great price (& warranty). It had 58K miles and was in excellent condition. I was looking to buy an A4 Avant or Q5 but made the mistake of test driving a V10 Touareg. If you want a new SVU I'd still recommend looking at the V6 TDI since I think diesel is the perfect combo of power and fuel efficiency in an SUV. The V8 is a great, thirsty, engine; the V10 is awe-inspiring (with better MPG). Maybe I'm easily impressed (who wouldn't be going from a 1.8T to a 5.0). Like any big SUV the steering assist over-compensates for the bulk but is still very good for a SUV of this weight. She won't handle like the little Audi in the corners but the Touareg will impress with its composure and lack of serious body roll (especially in Sport suspension mode). The one word that comes to mind is "solid". It is heavy but never feels large or unwieldy and the adjustable ride height is perfect when you want to have a little fun or make it easier for the kids or Grandparents to get in and out. My Mom is 73 and she loves that I can make the height just right for her to get in and out. She also thinks the heated seats are the best part of the car. I hate to say it but I don't miss my little Audi and my poor Merc C240 doesn't get much road time either. I'm having so much fun with the big Egg that I've been using it as my daily driver and that's the highest compliment I can give it.

#15 ·
Picked up my new Treg today!

Traded in my 2002 Chevy TrailBlazer today. All I can say about the 1st day driving experience is WOW. This machine is incredible. I thought my TB was a pretty good ride but the Treg blows it away. I can't wait to take it on the beach and see how she does. I don't think I'll be disappointed one bit. I wasn't even looking to replace my TB but my dealer (VW-Mazda dealer, who I previously purchased 3 vehicles from) made me an offer I just couldnt pass up (only paid 3k more than I did for the TB 7.5 years ago). I'm soooo glad they made that offer because this Treg is unlike any other SUV I've owned or driven. And to think all this luxury will kick ass with ease when going off-road. Unbelievable. Damm, I am one happy man!!! My wife is even impressed and she loves FAST sport sedans! BTW, great site. Glad to be a part of it!

Dave

#17 ·
I would get 19 mpg or so combined with the A4 Y2KQ-Tip, I'm getting around 21 mpg with the big Egg. Full disclosure... I've had the Touareg for 6 months and I do think I'm driving a bit more carefully because I want to see how well I can do on mpg. I had fun driving the A4 and didn't care about fuel mileage. Still very impressive given the size/weight difference.

#18 ·
I would get 19 mpg or so combined with the A4 Y2KQ-Tip
WOW -- that's... ...terrible.

My '01 with 250k gets 23-24mpg CITY with semi-aggressive driving. (I don't drive like I do on the track, but don't consciously try to save gas, either.)

On the highway I'll get between 28 and 32 with an absolute max of 33.

The only difference between your car and mine is that I have a 5-speed and not the tiptronic.

Dragging this back to ouaregs, my '09 with the V8 ges about14 city. On the highway, I'll get between 18 and 19. :???:

#21 ·
As the proud owner of a loaded V8 (now for over 10 hours!) I have to say that it is a lot of fun to drive. With the air suspension low and in sport mode I can keep up with any regular sedan.
It won't corner like a S2000 but then you cannot go off-road or take as much stuff with you in the S2000. If you want more more fun to drive you would have to look at the Cayenne Turbo/ Turbo S type vehicles (for twice the money).
You will appreciate the view from the treg as you will be able to look ahead and see the police cruiser waiting...

Regarding the sound system: mine came with the upgraded Dynaudio sound system and I love it. It depends on what you expect and what you are used to at home. Go to the mobile electronics section to see how some people upgraded/customized theirs.

#24 ·
My car is a blast to drive. Even though its 5200 pounds it sometimes feels a lot lighter on its feet. Drop the shifter to sport, step on the throttle and Vroom! off you go. Wonderful driving.

#26 ·
Turn the suspension wheel to "Sport", change the shifter to "S" or manual; and then Vroom - Vroom. Make sure to secure and loose objects. A big smile is just fine ...

#27 ·
...Good evening ladies and gentlemen. This is your pilot speaking. Before entering warp speed we are setting the craft to Sport mode and Autoleveling. We suggest you buckle up, secure any miscellaneous items (such as cell phones), get your arms and other appendages inside the vehicle...and prepare for one helluva fun ride!...

#28 ·
Its fun to throw the V10 into sport, come up to a stop sign and launch the car in warp speed out of the stop sign. The front tires pick up off the ground, the tires chirp and the beast comes alive as the whole car feels like its pulling a wheelie down the street. I have had alot of cars, as most of you know, and this might be one of the top two cars I've ever owned and that is with a brand new E63 AMG sitting next to it in the driveway right now.:p

Linder

#29 ·
I have owned a long string of Audis and know the brand well, although never an S4, and will likely own another someday. The new A4 has to be one of the best cars on the road right now. IMO, it depends on what it is that you like about your S4. Obviously you are not going to be able to toss a 3 ton suv into an offramp in the same way, but if you like German techno-engineering then this is the SUV for you. I think others here have called it the "thinking man's suv". Very sophisticated but remember the vw product does tend to lack the fit and finish of its sister brand audi. I drive the v10. While its not a sports car, it has the thump to make my buddy with a new M5 pretty nervous. I tow a lot. The thing is a monster in that regard. But what puts a smile on my face more than all of the above is something much less tangible. The fact that its a vw, that fact that its a total sleeper and that its SO capable just gives me the feeling that this truck really (ok don't laugh) has a big heart. Yeah, its 3 tons, but it will do anything you ask it to do.

#30 ·
The fact that its a vw, that fact that its a total sleeper and that its SO capable just gives me the feeling that this truck really (ok don't laugh) has a big heart. Yeah, its 3 tons, but it will do anything you ask it to do.
Great way of putting it. When I give someone a ride and they get out of the car with a smile on their face and say 'Wow, what is this again?'. Or if someone asks me what it is that puts a smile on my face when I've just come back from driving. I like the idea that my car has a soul. A zippy one at that.

#32 ·
Yeah I know the "soul" and "heart" you guys are talking about....like I said, my old diesel is fun to drive. I've owned MANY (over 75) VW's and Audi's.....
I like the S4 for its luxury, and ability to do it all, except for tow. I'm looking for something that can do it all instead of having a car and a truck. The S4 doesn't have the soul that a VW has....I've always thought it...

#34 ·
Well, as everyone has already said, the Touareg in certainly lots of fun to drive. And this is coming from a 16 year old high school student. I got my car with my permit so I've been driving it for over a year now (almost 17, permit obtained at 15.5). I've driven lots of other cars too, from my parents cars, to my uncle's Gallardo (around the street), to my friend's X5 and X3, to my girlfriend's Jag, and my friend's loaded Jeep Rubicon, and other friends' Scion xB (the box one), Mercury Mariner, 3 and 7 Series BMWs, Honda CR-V, Range Rover, Escalade, Chevy Avalanche, Grand Cherokee, Boxster, Continental GT, A4 and A8, Mustang, and Spyker. Also a '90 Toyota Camry that we would take into the desert and have some fun with until it died.

Anyways, comparing to these cars, I must say the Touareg handles much better than any SUV I've driven. The Mariner was sluggish with it's 4 cylinder engine and the interior comfort wasn't exactly on-par with anything luxurious, the Jeeps were also sluggish (probably due to the fact that my friend's Rubicon is loaded and lifted and has a hard time getting up to 80 mph). Even leaving it in 1st, it has some trouble getting off the line quickly. Although, to be fair, when we're driving and stuck in traffic, my friend will take us through desert shortcuts I would never dare take my car through...even though the Touareg could likely handle it without getting everyone dusty (Jeep has no doors or roof).

The Escalade, Avalanche, and Range Rover all had nice interiors, but I still didn't feel the luxurious element was that strong. It was more of a "large and comfortable" feel, but this translates to a driving experience that leaves much to be desired. Driving my friend's Avalanche out to the lake (we took turns because it's a long drive), I was going about 110 on a desert highway. The car certainly didn't feel like it could handle going at high speeds very well and the interior cabin noise from the wind resulted in an increase in music volume. Turns at such speeds would also result in a lot of body sway. Going to California with friends or to look at colleges (I'm a young senior), I would pull 120+ easily with no excess interior cabin noise and no body sway for turns- in Arizona, not California. Arizona highways are built much like the autobahn with wide sweeping turns and 12 lanes (6 each direction) in some parts. California highways are simply atrocious.

I found the driving experience to be most similar to the A4. My friend's Mustang, although not equipped with a V8, is a manual transmission. This allows for lots of kick off the line and an overall fun experience but the interior is far from being considered luxurious and car handles like a boat with its long engine bay. My girlfriend's Jag's interior was on par with the luxury in the Touareg but I prefer the Touareg's leather, personally.

As for the Gallardo, Bentley Continental, and Spyker....well, those speak for themselves.

All I can really say is that the Touareg handles like a sport sedan, is quite capable off-road, has a luxurious interior that is on-par with all major luxury car makes, and has an exterior that is certainly easy on the eyes...in my opinion, the nicest looking SUV (Range Rovers and the X6 can have nice exteriors too, but the Touareg is simply the best...In my opinion, over the Cayenne).

#35 ·
...but the Touareg is simply the best...In my opinion, over the Cayenne).
Well put on the whole comment. And 'ditto' on my feelings about the Touareg. Load level the suspension, put the shocks and tranny in Sport modes and Vroom! Love it! :D

#36 ·
I'm a practical guy, and have been interested in the Touareg for practical reasons. I have a boat that we currently tow with my wifes Honda Pilot. Unfortunately the load is close to the limit of what the Pilot can handle, so going to places at a higher altitude (like Lake Tahoe) has been something I've been uncomfortable to even attempt. I also have a Honda Accord that's 11 years old that I use for work (I'm a cheap skate and drive cars forever).

It's time for me to get a new car, and with the new turbo diesels that are California legal, the Touareg is an option that kept coming up as a practical choice. Good towing capacility, good diesel engine with great torque and great mileage. Good looking and spacious for when I have to drive customers around. The tax credit doesn't hurt either, plus the fact that diesel now costs less than regular unleaded in my area.

A few weeks ago I went out and drove the VW Tourag TDI and the Audi Q7 TDI on the same day. I wanted to like the Audi better, as I like the exterior look a little better. In a nutshell, here's the difference for me. The Q7 felt perfectly nice to drive. Nicer than the Ford and GM SUV's I've driven. The Touareg put a big fat stupid grin on my face. This SUV is simply fun to drive. I would have never guessed that a vehicle with this sort of weight could feel so nimble. The handling, turning radius and acceleration were all impressive. The dealer had me take it on to the highway as part of the test drive. Shortly after leaving the on ramp he pointed out that I was going over 90 mph. I simply hadn't noticed. My wife's Pilot alerts you with wind noise when you're going over 80 mph. The Touareg felt perfectly at ease at 90+ and left me wanting to push it faster.

Now when I talk to people at work about the Touareg they comment about how I get this big goofy grin on my face, and they ask how long before I buy it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.