Immobilizer Activated - Car won't start - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 17 Old 02-04-2014 Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2016 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: a bicycle
Immobilizer Activated - Car won't start

I apologise if I appear to be doubling up - I mentioned this in another thread - but I think it may have been glossed over by many and I do feel it's important information.
If you can get into your Treg, ie key or proximity let's you in. But, starter button does nothing. Use the key in the ignition and whilst the seat and steering wheel adjust to your settings, there is no action whatsoever from the engine.
This happened to me and I don't really know why, but the fix is this.
Disconnect the earth strap on the 'main' battery (that's the one under the seat in a dual battery setup. The earth strap is easy to get to, it is located under the small plastic cover right in front of the seat and nearest the trans tunnel. Just undo the M13 nut which retains the strap, lift the strap off the lug for 10 minutes and then replace and do up the nut. The immobilizer will reset itself and everything is back to normal.
Again apols for boring those who read the earlier version of this.
Cheers, Dub

MY16 V6 TDI (180kw) Light Silver
20'6" Sunland Patriot off-road caravan

Sold...MY08 V10TDI - Galapagos Anthracite Metallic, Sioux Napa Leather, Piano black inserts

Sold...MY08 2.0TDI DSG Golf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 02-04-2014
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2005 V6
Second Vehicle: Other
Garage
Good stuff. Thank you for reposting here. I appreciate the effort because I (and probably many other members) missed your note in another thread abouy this quick fix. Cheers!
The Following User Says Thank You to Baltimore Touareg For This Useful Post:
lupus1 (03-11-2018)
post #3 of 17 Old 02-04-2014

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Test drove one a few days ago having this issue. Any other symptoms that can go with this?

-A v10 Touareg + thoughful about your money makes about as much sense as putting Ron Jeremy in charge of making sure a room full of virgins stay pure....just sayin.

NickM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 02-04-2014 Thread Starter
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2016 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: a bicycle
NickM, No - car let me in normally, dash display showed the car outline, door open etc.
Everything else seemed normal, just no ignition, no start.
One thing re-reading my post, the plastic cover was on the pax side, but that's in Oz.
Cheers, Dub

MY16 V6 TDI (180kw) Light Silver
20'6" Sunland Patriot off-road caravan

Sold...MY08 V10TDI - Galapagos Anthracite Metallic, Sioux Napa Leather, Piano black inserts

Sold...MY08 2.0TDI DSG Golf
post #5 of 17 Old 02-04-2014
Multiple v10tdi owner

Touareg: 2004 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: 2004 V10 TDI
Garage
I have had this problem reoccur on several occasions on one of my V10's so I took a chance and replaced the central electrical control unit. It was reasonable cheap for a VW module. I was also getting a few intermittent errors on VCDS that were also on they module so I replaced it and have not had the problem reoccur. It's an easy swap as it is right next to the Kessy unit. Just be sure to get the code off the old unit before you replace and if you did the 5 flasher mod that will also need to be recoded.
post #6 of 17 Old 07-12-2015

Touareg: 2008 V6
Second Vehicle: too many to list
This happened to us on our 2008 Touareg 2 V6 today. Thank you so much for this post.

For our car, the only known issue on the car is that the driver door microswitch is not working correctly - it doesn't usually register when we open the door. Also, sometimes the KESSY keyless entry doesn't work to start the car (every once and while), but it has always responded to the key in the dash before.

Today when we went to start the car nothing happened - no gauges lit up, no attempt to start. The brake pedal was very hard and the steering column did not unlock. I initially thought that the battery might have died, but the dome light and radio were working as usual. The back power hatch also worked.

However, since the car wasn't even attempting to start AND the gauges didn't light up or initialize/move at all, we went ahead and plugged in an jumper pack and the car still didn't try to start. The oddest thing to me was that the center display in the dash was showing an outline of the car, but the battery gauge, fuel gauge, etc. didn't wake up or move at all. That is when I searched and found this thread.

We quickly located the ground cable under the small plastic cover in the driver's foot well. The terminal nut had a painted surface that was very shiny and it appears it had never been removed before. We removed the brown/reddish nut and unplugged the negative battery cable. We went out to eat (drove another vehicle) and when we returned I plugged the battery cable back in. Some small sparks (dome light was on, could be that) and tried to start the car. It didn't seem ANY different on first manual turn of the key. I then turned the key backwards from the "off" position and tried to start the car again and it fired up just fine - no problem.

We printed out this thread and put a 13mm ratchet in the back of the car in case the issue happens again. With just over 100k on the odometer, we're confused why this might just be starting now. Does anyone know the source of this weird issue?

I see that it is suggested that it might be immobilizer-related, but this seems like very odd behavior for immobilizer. All other vehicles I have ever experienced with immo let the car start for about 1/2 second, turn off, and flash a key symbol. None of this happened to us, of course.

Thanks for any help you can provide. This was certainly not an experience that instilled trust in the vehicle...
post #7 of 17 Old 12-27-2017

I got the Immobilizer Activated warning signal in November (although the car would always start and could get the Immobilizer light to go off if I held key close to ignition), drove the car about a month, car battery died, got the battery replaced, Immobilizer Activated light stopped coming on after Battery was Replaced.

So, the battery fixed the problem for us.
post #8 of 17 Old 03-29-2018

Touareg: 2004 V10 TDI
Garage
SO I have been getting the immobilizer active over the last few days. I disconnected the battery under the seat and crossed the two leads for about 25 minutes. The error went away. I couldn't find the earth strap that was mentioned by OP in my 04 V10. IS there something else I should be looking at. The battery was replaced in 10/2016 so I can't imagine it is bad already. Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Attached Files
File Type: txt Log-11111111111111111-259610km-161314mi.txt (8.2 KB, 74 views)
post #9 of 17 Old 04-02-2018

Exclamation Tried it...not working? HELP!

Hey guys, Thanks for posting this info. Hereís the deal. I try to start my 2006 VW Touareg V10 and nothing happens except the message poppin up on the dash ďImmobil ActivatedĒ in white letters. I canít start it, canít take it out of park, nothing. I tried the fix of disconnecting the battery cable under the driverís seat for about 15 minutes, returned and reconnected, still have the same results. Any ideas? Something Iím missing? Any thoughts/. Help would be greatly appreciated!!
post #10 of 17 Old 04-06-2018

I get this signal , but so far no problems.
My key battery is getting tired though , and my kessey needs a rebuild

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode