How long is too long without a start? - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 8 Old 03-11-2019 Thread Starter

How long is too long without a start?

Im new here and definitely not an expert. How long is too long to go without a start?
Ive got a Touareg diesel 2008, 233000km, 3.0 TDI, original battery(i think). Im planning to leave the country for 3 months and park it in storage. Ive read that diesel gas tends to mold and gel. The diesel is definitely crap quality here in Albania. Im also wondering if there are any fuel additives I should be using before I store it. Any suggestions or tips are greatly appreciated

Albania/Kosovo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-11-2019
Touareg Guru

Touareg: 2006 V8
Second Vehicle: 2004 V6
Garage
Yes on the fuel additive. I will let the diesel guys recommend one.

A battery tender type device on the battery will help keep it in good shape. Is that an option.

You can also disconnect the negative terminal if the vehicle is not to be used at all for three months. There is a spot at the front of the seat where you can do this without taking the seat apart. The factory shipped the Touareg with a battery disconnect switch installed here. It is used while shipping from the factory to the dealers. The switch is gone, but you can just unhook the negative battery cable where the switch was and get the same result.

If you leave the battery connected and the vehicle unstarted for three months, your first duty will be buying a new battery.

IMO, with a good battery, about two weeks is the most you should push a no start. At around 3 weeks, you are getting to a point where the vehicle might not start. It is best if you can start and run the vehicle at least for 10 minutes at least once a week.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf vw.tb.00-05-01_removing_battery_cutoff_switch.pdf (185.6 KB, 13 views)
post #3 of 8 Old 03-12-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyt View Post
Yes on the fuel additive. I will let the diesel guys recommend one.

A battery tender type device on the battery will help keep it in good shape. Is that an option.

You can also disconnect the negative terminal if the vehicle is not to be used at all for three months. There is a spot at the front of the seat where you can do this without taking the seat apart. The factory shipped the Touareg with a battery disconnect switch installed here. It is used while shipping from the factory to the dealers. The switch is gone, but you can just unhook the negative battery cable where the switch was and get the same result.

If you leave the battery connected and the vehicle unstarted for three months, your first duty will be buying a new battery.

IMO, with a good battery, about two weeks is the most you should push a no start. At around 3 weeks, you are getting to a point where the vehicle might not start. It is best if you can start and run the vehicle at least for 10 minutes at least once a week.
A battery tender is probably not something I could find here, or would know how to hook up. Unhooking the negative terminal sounds like the best bet, if I can figure it out. Still not sure what I will do about the diesel going bad.

Albania/Kosovo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 03-12-2019
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
The far better option would be for someone you can trust to take the car for a reasonably fast 30 mile run every two weeks to keep it "exercised".

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA & facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 & facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7 [Not available in "VW Atlas" North America!]
Read Wikipedia:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

T1 & T2 buyers MUST read:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Use Google or Bing to search by typing in: site:
followed by what you seek
post #5 of 8 Old 03-12-2019
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2004 V6
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Hooking the battery tender is simple. you have a positive and a ground post in the engine bay. But you need a good battery tender which will not kill your battery overcharging it rather then preserving it.
Best option would be to disconnect the negative terminal. Check my other thread here:
https://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f...-286483-2.html
My Treg is taken out once a month to stretch his legs The rest of the time he is sitting in the garage with a ctek charger https://www.ctek.com/fr/products/vehicle/mxs-5-0
I have an agm varta battery.
post #6 of 8 Old 03-12-2019
Touareg Guru

Touareg: 2006 V8
Second Vehicle: 2004 V6
Garage
It does not have to be a Battery Tender. It can be anything that functions as a battery maintainer. The idea is that it is intelligent enough to not overcharge the battery and after a period of time, it will start a second charge cycle as the car slowly drains the battery down.

Anyplace that handles antique cars or high end sport cars that are driven occasionally we have a supply of them on hand.

Some examples here. procarreviews.com/best-battery-maintainers

Or, find someone who can be trusted to take care of the vehicle and drive it.

Or, unhook the battery completely.
post #7 of 8 Old 03-12-2019
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2004 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewbreezy View Post
Im new here and definitely not an expert. How long is too long to go without a start?
Ive got a Touareg diesel 2008, 233000km, 3.0 TDI, original battery(i think). Im planning to leave the country for 3 months and park it in storage. Ive read that diesel gas tends to mold and gel. The diesel is definitely crap quality here in Albania. Im also wondering if there are any fuel additives I should be using before I store it. Any suggestions or tips are greatly appreciated
Presuming your storage location is inside, with access to power, and at least somewhat protected from very very cold temperatures. [neither your post not your signature says where you are located - if you are in Siberia the answer could be quite different!]
Electrical system access points are located under the hood on the L (driver's] side. Unless you are in the UK where it is on the passenger side (see location comment earlier). Hook your 'maintainer' up there and plug it in.
Diesel fuel will NOT gel unless it gets extremely cold (see location comment earlier). Even if it does gel, it will liquefy again when it gets warm. If there is water in the fuel tank algae MAY grow at the interface but, in temperate climates (see location comment earlier) that process usually takes several years of inactivity. If there is any doubt get a biocide additive and add it to the fuel tank at the recommended rate. You will NOT get any new water in the fuel if the tank is full when it goes into storage. Water usually gets into fuel when it can condense on the INSIDE of the tank (when the temperature outside is lower than the dew point of the air inside) and the water runs down to the bottom of the tank and never gets a chance to evaporate.
Hope this helps

2008 M-B GL 320 CDI (wifes), 2000 Golf GL TDI (sold), 2004 Touareg V10 TDI (acquired 2/2011), 1984 Mitsubishi 4WD Pick Up turbodiesel (beater truck), location - SW Washington St, USA
post #8 of 8 Old 03-13-2019
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2016 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: too many to list
3 mos isn't a problem for diesel to be stored, there are many diesel additives to extend the life of the fuel if you feel you need to. Stabil makes a diesel product for storage. Google diesel storage additives. I store my diesel boat for 6 mos during winter with no additives and have had the boat for 20 yrs with no issues. If the temperature is cool you won't get algae growing . You need to find a way to keep the battery charged however.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode