Headlight Goes Off/On...Then Off - Club Touareg Forums
 1Likes

post #1 of 11 Old 03-17-2019 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2004 V8
Headlight Goes Off/On...Then Off

Hey Guys,

New to the forum, a lot of great insight and you all seem like great and helpful people. I have seen a few forums relating to this but I hope you guys can help clear things up for me. First off, by no means am I a car guy, meaning I dont know a lot of the technical things. So here goes...I have an 04 V8, I purchased from a little old lady down here in Florida about 2 years ago. Great car, great shape, loved it. Then about a year or so ago my right side headlight started to flicker a bit. I also noticed it looked kind of foggy. As you probably all know the flickering got worse and eventually would randomly go out and then come back on. If I turned off the car and restarted it the light would come on 100%. Now I am at the point where it stay on for a minute at most and then goes off/on a few times before it's out for good. But still if I turn car off no matter how long I have drove with it off, it will come back on.

I've read on here that this may be a common problem with this vehicle. I just don't have a lot of money and I am tired of getting pulled over. I have changed the bulb multiple times but that's all I've done. The high beams and the low city lights work, but the main driving headlight is driving me crazy. I just got pulled over for the 3rd time because of it.

My step dad is not a mechanic but he knows cars pretty well. Is there any way we could fix this without spending a ton of money. Could the wiring just need new insulation? Do I just electrical tape the heck out of it lol?

Again I am sorry I know this is a common thread, but it hasn't been broken down in a way I can understand if I can fix this issue myself and what I would need to do.

Please Help!!! Thank you all so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-18-2019
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2008 R5 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Flickering could have several reasons, like simple contact or cable problems, or in the case of a bi-xenon assembly, problems with the shutter or with the ballast. You will only able to tell which one by checking wiring and connector with a multimeter, swapping ballasts (if applicable), etc. In the worst case you might have some electrical problems outside of the headlight.

The headlight appearing foggy can also have several causes, like the headlight plastic cover being scratched up by very fine scratches (which can be fixed by polishing the "glass"), or the reflector bowl (of a halogen headlight) or the projector lens (of a xenon headlight) being dirty. A reflector bowl usually can not be fixed, but the lens might be cleaned with appropriate tools. Hard to say anything with absolute certainty there, too, because you haven't even sent pictures or video footage of your problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gnits For This Useful Post:
Kuhner1305 (03-18-2019)
post #3 of 11 Old 03-18-2019
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
I am assuming you have xenon headlights in your V8 but since assumptions can be wrong, please confirm.

If they are xenons, what is the make and type of bulb you have been buying as replacements?

Have you been purchasing the cheapest stuff off eBay?

As above I would be looking at the ballast if the bulb lights up okay first time every time before it flickers and goes out.

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA & facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 & facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7 [Not available in "VW Atlas" North America!]
Read Wikipedia:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

T1 & T2 buyers MUST read:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Use Google or Bing to search by typing in: site:
followed by what you seek
The Following User Says Thank You to noobytoogy For This Useful Post:
Kuhner1305 (03-18-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 03-18-2019 Thread Starter

Thank you guys. I will take some pics and get some more info on what kind of bulb is in there. I was just pulled over last night before I wrote this and was so frustrated, I had to reach out and try to get some answers on what to do first. Thanks again
post #5 of 11 Old 03-18-2019

Be careful removing the headlight too. This sounds trivial, but the plastic can get brittle over the years and quickly turn into a bigger headache if you break something along the way
Gnits likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to pto.ind For This Useful Post:
Kuhner1305 (03-18-2019)
post #6 of 11 Old 03-18-2019
Touareg Guru

Touareg: 2006 V8
Second Vehicle: 2004 V6
Garage
I will bet that the insulation is cracked on the wires. The only practical way to fix it is with liquid tape. It makes a mess, but works.

Bad insulation repair options.

1. Remove the wiring harness inside the headlight and replace each wire. Good luck on your OCD week long project, even assuming you have both the talent and patience to pull it off. I only remember one person who did this. IMO, It is too much work for too little return.

2. Try to tape it. The heat is too much and the tape will not stay. Forum members have tried.

3. Use liquid tape. This is easy, makes a mess, but it works. Forum members have succeeded with this method. Remember to air gap the wires before you "glop" them. Make sure that it is high temp rated.

4. Just buy a new headlight. Once you see how bad the reflector bowl is burnt, you will want to just buy a new headlight. Why? The new headlight is two to three times as bright as your old headlight, and that is with reusing the old hid bulb.
The Following User Says Thank You to nickyt For This Useful Post:
Kuhner1305 (03-18-2019)
post #7 of 11 Old 03-18-2019 Thread Starter

If I buy a new headlight, will it come with the proper wiring. Or will I still have to go and mess with the insulation?

Like I said in my first post, I don't know much about cars. Just a guy desperately looking for help.

Thank You!!
post #8 of 11 Old 03-19-2019 Thread Starter

Can someone please let me know if I buy a new headlight will I still have to deal with insulation of the electrical wiring??

Thanks
post #9 of 11 Old 03-19-2019
Touareg Guru

Touareg: 2006 V8
Second Vehicle: 2004 V6
Garage
The wiring that tends to go bad is the wiring harness inside the headlight. The second thing that happens is that the chrome reflector bowls "the mirror behind the bulb" tends to fail.

To answer your question, a new headlight fixes both problems.
post #10 of 11 Old 03-20-2019 Thread Starter

Thank you. So I think I'm gonna try to liquid glue and see how that goes and if not just buy a new headlight. Any suggestions on where to buy/what brand..and a price I would be looking at??

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode