got rear ended, and smoke out of center console? - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 16 Old 04-11-2019 Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2017 V6 FSI
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
got rear ended, and smoke out of center console?

Hi forum,

I have been driving 2 tregs for the past 7 years and yesterday I had my first accident.

It's morning rush hour highway traffic, ~40 mph, and the car in front me suddenly went full stop. I floored the brake to get the car to stop (ABS activated). However, the car behind me didn't and hit from behind.

After the collision, the engine won't start and has to be towed away. I am still waiting for the insurance company to assess the accident before sending it to the dealer for repair.

Here is the question bothering me: When the collision happend, there's also a little bit smoke coming out of the center console. What could it be? ABS? transmission? or exhaust?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 04-11-2019
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2004 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
hope you're ok saltshaker.
post #3 of 16 Old 04-11-2019

Touareg: 2004 V8
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltshaker View Post
Hi forum,

I have been driving 2 tregs for the past 7 years and yesterday I had my first accident.

It's morning rush hour highway traffic, ~40 mph, and the car in front me suddenly went full stop. I floored the brake to get the car to stop (ABS activated). However, the car behind me didn't and hit from behind.

After the collision, the engine won't start and has to be towed away. I am still waiting for the insurance company to assess the accident before sending it to the dealer for repair.

Here is the question bothering me: When the collision happend, there's also a little bit smoke coming out of the center console. What could it be? ABS? transmission? or exhaust?

Thanks!
Possibly came from the Airbag module. It sits under the center console on top of the tunnel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016 touareg.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	344.7 KB
ID:	222363  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 04-11-2019
Multiple v10tdi owner

Touareg: 2004 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: 2004 V10 TDI
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot60378 View Post
Possibly came from the Airbag module. It sits under the center console on top of the tunnel.
Where didnít you find that diagram?

3 V10TDI's: (2)2004 Black/Black, Silver/Black and 2004 V10TDI in 1990 Corvette
post #5 of 16 Old 04-11-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blownvette View Post
Where didnít you find that diagram?
Elsawin
post #6 of 16 Old 04-11-2019 Thread Starter
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2017 V6 FSI
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragman View Post
hope you're ok saltshaker.

Thanks Ragman. Both my daughter onboard and myself are OK. She's scared a little bit but immediately used it as excuse to not go to school (there's a quiz in her class yesterday), so I think she actually loved it.

The police suspect the car detected the crash and triggered self-protection mode and tried to call the nearby dealer for advice as they need to move the car out of the way. The dealer said there's no easy reset and has to be sent to the bodyshop to replace some "coil".

pilot60378: It's a rear-end crash so our airbag didn't deploy, can the airbag control module still be triggered?

Here is the photo of the tail of the car after crash. The other car's head hit right on the hitch and crumbled in pretty badly.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	treg.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	336.8 KB
ID:	222371  
post #7 of 16 Old 04-11-2019

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: too many to list
My guess are the seat belt pretensioners going off once the car detected a rear end collision. They are designed to pull you back into your seat preventing you from hitting the dash. Check out the video done by the Slowmo guys on Youtube if you want to see how they work.
post #8 of 16 Old 04-11-2019
Touareg Guru

Touareg: 2006 V8
Second Vehicle: 2004 V6
Garage
FYI: There is airbag disconnect switch under the drivers seat (near the battery) of the T1 and T2 that will kill power when the airbags deploy. There is a yellow button on it that will reconnect power, but the service manual is adamant that it is only to be pressed after the car has been certified safe.

I don't know if the switch is on the later models. I "heard" that at some point the resettable disconnect was replaced by a one time use version.

PS: Glad everyone is OK.
post #9 of 16 Old 04-11-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltshaker View Post
Thanks Ragman. Both my daughter onboard and myself are OK. She's scared a little bit but immediately used it as excuse to not go to school (there's a quiz in her class yesterday), so I think she actually loved it.

The police suspect the car detected the crash and triggered self-protection mode and tried to call the nearby dealer for advice as they need to move the car out of the way. The dealer said there's no easy reset and has to be sent to the bodyshop to replace some "coil".

pilot60378: It's a rear-end crash so our airbag didn't deploy, can the airbag control module still be triggered?

Here is the photo of the tail of the car after crash. The other car's head hit right on the hitch and crumbled in pretty badly.
saltshaker: I'm not sure exactly that it will/would trigger the battery interrupt or not, even though the bags did not deploy. The crash sensor has to have so much g-force for the airbag module to initiate the igniters. There should be a threshold though where the module activates the igniters or not. I think it's possible the crash sensor was activated but not enough g-force to activate the igniters (deploying the airbags.) So I believe it's possible the airbag module sent signal for the battery interrupt switch to activate. I did not see any crash sensors in the bumper area though. I've only dealt with my 04 Treg but VW doesn't change a ton on them.

Does the car power on at all?

I'm glad you and your daughter are ok.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Airbag with interrupt.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	303.1 KB
ID:	222385  
post #10 of 16 Old 04-11-2019
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2008 V8
Second Vehicle: Other
Glad everyone is OK.

This is one of the many reasons that I like trailer hitches.

I'm guessing the smoke could have been seat belt tensioners or a battery cutoff.

2008 V8
No VCDS? Get it here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode