Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Not cheap but OEM works.

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA & facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 & facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7 [Not available in "VW Atlas" North America!]
Read Wikipedia:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

T1 & T2 buyers MUST read:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Use Google or Bing to search by typing in: site:
followed by what you seek
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 Old 09-18-2017

Touareg: 2007 V6
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecargod View Post
I have had the exact same problem with my 05, fuel cap warning light comes on when you have driven car on a warm day, then when temp drops below 60 degress and drive car after sunset. Always happens when it has rained or snowed and fuel tank is between 3/4 and 1/2 tank. To date 2 dealers have repalced 3 fuel caps, both fuel pump tank seals, 1 evaporative canister, 2 purge valves and the entire fuel tank and filler neck assy. None of these "fixes" have cured the problem. I am currently waiting on my dealer to install a data recorder to find out which module (car has over 40 modules in it) is bad or replace the entire computer system.
This was exactly what happened to me yesterday. It was warm and I drove it to work where I work nights. Left work and got on the highway. It was raining and 50 degrees out. Check fuel cap warning comes on. Fuel tank was just under 3/4 tank. Pulled over and shut it off. Checked the gas cap. The O-ring in it looks fine (no cracks anyway) and put it back on and had it click a few times. Started back up and the check gas cap warning was still there.

I did have another thought though. There is a recall for a fuel filter flange that the local dealer hasn't addressed yet. If mine is starting to leak would I get this check gas cap error?

2007 Touareg V6
2014 Passat 5 speed manual
2003 Silverado 8.1L 6 speed manual
1977 Chevy K20 off road
post #13 of 16 Old 09-18-2017
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2007 V8
Second Vehicle: 2007 V8
77 K20, I don't think a leaking fuel filter flange would trigger the gas cap warning. The reason for the thought is I had a severely leaking flange that was fixed under recall and never had a check gas cap warning even after a quick trip to Idaho and back before getting it fixed.

07 V8 FSI, Campanella white, steel suspension(wife's)
07 V8 FSI, Campanella white, Air suspension, hitch, keyless start, center & rear diff locks 265/70R17 M+S (mine)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 16 Old 09-18-2017

Touareg: 2007 V6
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Garage
Well- so much for that thought.

I contacted the local VW dealer and made an appointment for the recall as that needed to be checked/fixed anyway.

Guess I'll start with a new gas cap and see what happens from there.

Thanks for the info.
mtnride likes this.

2007 Touareg V6
2014 Passat 5 speed manual
2003 Silverado 8.1L 6 speed manual
1977 Chevy K20 off road
post #15 of 16 Old 10-09-2017
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2008 V8
Second Vehicle: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 K20 View Post
Well- so much for that thought.

I contacted the local VW dealer and made an appointment for the recall as that needed to be checked/fixed anyway.

Guess I'll start with a new gas cap and see what happens from there.

Thanks for the info.
I just had this recall performed two weeks ago. The day after they fixed it my engine light came on. I used my VCDS to scan for codes and it came back saying fuel pressure sensor fault found. I cleared the code and it was fine for about a week. Then the engine light came back up. This time the code was for 0456(or something can't recall) but that's the code that usually points to the fuel cap. Anyways, I decide to take it back to dealer to confirm....and of course they blame the cap and not their recent recall work. I find it strange coincidence.... anyways...they want $225 total to replace the fuel cap ($125 for running the diagnostic).... highly annoyed.
post #16 of 16 Old 10-09-2017
Touareg Guru

Touareg: 2006 V8
Second Vehicle: 2004 V6
Garage
Typical VW dealer. If the car has been in less then 2 weeks ago and you have a related problem to what they fixed...

Enough said. And, after you you spend that $225 and the problem does not go away, the answer is "Obviously the cap was bad. What a coincidence that this other part that we checked and was working perfectly, broke right after you got the car back. That will be another $125 plus our other fees please. Be confident if the light comes back on next week, we will be here, waiting to help you, again. Please rate us 5 stars on the survey."

Check "fits these vehicles", here is the gas cap o ring. If it is the cap, that is usually what needs to be replaced.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode