Club Touareg Forum banner

Dash Instrument cleaning?

3K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  T-reg Lover 
#1 ·
I searched and didn't come up with anything. ;)

I would like to clean my dash instruments, but it looks like they have an anti-reflective coating on them. Is there something that will clean without leaving streaks or removing the coating? I was thinking an eyeglass alcohol wipe should work, but I'm still a newbie T-reg owner and don't want to screw it up yet. (Today is day 10 with it!)

How about the Nav screen? I have used a microfiber cloth on it to get rid of the dust, but there seems to be some streaks on the screen too.

Suggestions?

#3 ·
Thinking that my MFI looked like a laptop's LCD screen I employed a laptop cleaning kit containing a microfiber cleaning cloth and moist towlette that DID NOT have alcohol, seemed to work well.

Enjoy your new ride!

#6 ·
I use the same cleaner on my dials that I use to clean my glasses --- which also have anti-glare and anti-scratch coatings... then I use a computer screen cleaning towel to wipe them off.

#8 ·
No way to remove the scratch from an LCD type screen.

Clean your dash gauge with the same cleaners used to clean LCD computer screens. Never spray directly on the gauge. There is a product Apple promoted for their laptops back when they used LCD screens called iKlear or Klearscreen which was superior, low impact and that I would try to find. See Klear Screen - #1 Rated LCD, LED, & Plasma Screen Cleaner. Safely clean iPhone, iPad, iPod, and & HD device screen with Klear Screen products.

Or go to an Apple store for it.

You can so easily scratch or smear these gauge plastics and permanently disfigure them, I know , I did a job on my 1991 Audi!

If you feel compelled to clean, then do it the best way, else you may regret it.

Geoff

#9 ·
Thanks so much Qpower. I have heard about the Apple product. I will look for it. The truth is it is not that big of a scratch, you really have to look for it. What makes it big to me is the fact that I know how easily it could have been avoided if I had been more careful.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.