Coolant below minimum line but no warning??? - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 10 Old 02-28-2019 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2007 V6
Coolant below minimum line but no warning???

Hi,

I have been having a minor leak of coolant which i cant find to locate. Its not the radiator it looks like its coming closer by the water pump. Does anyone have a "check list" where to look for coolant leaks on a 2007 VW V6 3.6? I also recently noticed after i start the car ( live in Canada -19c) after 3-4 minutes white steam/smoke is coming out of exhaust smelling like coolant? Now i checked the coolant level today and its now below min line but i dont get a warning on dashboard? What is going on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-28-2019
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2008 R5 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
A crack in the EGR cooler or a blown head gasket is the most likely culprit in cases where you can't find any puddles/remains/residue of the lost coolant outside of the car - especially if you're seeing lot of white smoke, which means your engine is "bleeding" inwards.

That said make sure first that you definitely do not have coolant drips anywhere under the car, and also check the metal coolant lines running to and from the Webasto heater in the wheel arch. Top up the coolant, start the engine, and let it idle for a while (preferably with the climatronic set to a higher temperature than ambient, so, you make sure that the Webasto will be also engaged), and then check for coolant drops.

Starting the engine is important, because unless you've a huge hole and a completely broken/separate pipe somewhere, coolant might not actually be able to escape with no pressure in the system.
post #3 of 10 Old 03-01-2019 Thread Starter

alex30

I do have coolant drips under the car. I also noticed it keeps dripping coolant when just sitting. Do i need remove the plastic cover from the wheel arch in order to get to the metal pipes that run to the webasto heater? Do you know why i dont get a warning from the dashboard for low coolant? I ran a scan with vcds but no codes were shown?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 03-01-2019
Touareg Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex30 View Post
I do have coolant drips under the car. I also noticed it keeps dripping coolant when just sitting.
Where are those dips located exactly? Are you sure it's coolant (pink), not just simple condensate water from the A/C drain pipe or something?

Quote:
Do i need remove the plastic cover from the wheel arch in order to get to the metal pipes that run to the webasto heater?
No, you just need to look up the wheel well/arch. Look at the pictures and info in these threads:
https://www.mytreg.com/index.php?/to...heel-arch-lhd/
https://www.mytreg.com/index.php?/to...ns-wheel-arch/
https://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f...ll-284283.html

Quote:
Do you know why i dont get a warning from the dashboard for low coolant?
Because the warning is not triggered right when the coolant level goes below minimum, but some time after that (likely to prevent false positives). As long as you get that warning after a while, I would consider that behavior normal.
post #5 of 10 Old 03-01-2019 Thread Starter

Hi i am certain that its coolant fluid. Its leaking underneath the water pump. I just found a thread with almost the same issue https://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f...ml#post2037735.

So how do i confirm that my water pump is the issue and not a hose close by???
post #6 of 10 Old 03-01-2019
Touareg Guru

Touareg: 2006 V8
Second Vehicle: 2004 V6
Garage
I would just replace the water pump if it was my vehicle.

The water pump leaks more often on a VW then all the other hoses combined.
post #7 of 10 Old 03-01-2019
Touareg Enthusiast

Quote:
So how do i confirm that my water pump is the issue and not a hose close by???
You look at it? The coolant should leave a trace of white/pink residue wherever it flows. If you have any doubts, clean the area and let the residue reappear. You'll not get a more obvious evidence of a leak than that.
post #8 of 10 Old 03-01-2019 Thread Starter

alex30

Ok if i replace the water pump and no more leaks will this fix the issue of smelling coolant from exhaust?? Or is this not related?
post #9 of 10 Old 03-01-2019
Touareg Guru

Touareg: 2006 V8
Second Vehicle: 2004 V6
Garage
Well, you could bring it into a mechanic, but there is not an easy way to check for all possibilities. You could spend several hundred dollars trying to rule out possibilities.

We are 99% sure you have a current water pump leak and I would call the other second concurrent leak a 10% chance.

If you do have a second leak, the most likely place to look is in the EGR system. Check the PCV also since you are right beside it and they can sometimes be problems.

The best bet is probably let a mechanic look it over and to give you a quote for the repairs. Anyone who works on a lot of VW/Audi will know exactly where to look.
The Following User Says Thank You to nickyt For This Useful Post:
Alex30 (03-01-2019)
post #10 of 10 Old 03-01-2019
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2015 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: too many to list
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnits View Post
A crack in the EGR cooler ...
The VR6 does not have an EGR cooler...

Quote:
the metal pipes that run to the webasto heater? Do you know why i dont get a warning from the dashboard for low coolant? I ran a scan with vcds but no codes were shown?
The VR6 does not have a factory equipped Webasto heater in North America. V10 TDIs only. Low coolant warning will trigger when the reservoir is near empty, which is below the minimum line on the reservoir.

Pressurize the cooling system and check for leaks, it should be quite visible.

'81 Rabbit S 16vG60 | '01 A6 2.7TT 6MT | '15 Touareg TDI Exec R-line

- OEM air suspension retrofit
- OEM parking heater retrofit
- OEM Easy-Open hatch retrofit
- OEM ambient lighting retrofit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode