Connecting Anderson Plug wiring 2011 Volkswagen Touareg V6 TDI 7P Auto 4XMOTION MY12 - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 6 Old 05-22-2019 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2011 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Connecting Anderson Plug wiring 2011 Volkswagen Touareg V6 TDI 7P Auto 4XMOTION MY12

New to this Forum and am looking to acquire a 2011 Volkswagen Touareg V6 TDI 7P Auto 4XMOTION MY12.... my question relates to connecting in an Anderson Plug wiring with the electrical system. Since these vehicles have a smart alternator, as I understand it. its lees than desirable to connect direct to the battery terminal. The info I have indicates that the battery terminal has a sensor that allows the ECU to charge the battery and when charged control the charging voltage/current for the vehicle systems load and that it where I understand the termination should be made for the Anderson Plug. Since the battery is well hidden under the seat I think the direct battery feed terminal is located in the LH side of the engine bay. If that is correct which particular termination should I connect it to.

Thanks in advance... Regards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-22-2019

Second Vehicle: Other
Garage
What are you attaching an Anderson Plug for? Is it for a winch? How much current are you looking at drawing? That data could be helpful as well.

Also, as this is your first post, where are you hailing from?

2011 Touareg TDI Executive - 138k miles, 2014 Passat TDI SEL - 88k miles (daily driver)
Previous - 11 other VWs, from A1, A2, G1, B4, B5, A5, A6, NMS platforms. I've owned a few Chevy HDs as well.
VCDS HEX-CAN owner
post #3 of 6 Old 05-22-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmonkey View Post
What are you attaching an Anderson Plug for? Is it for a winch? How much current are you looking at drawing? That data could be helpful as well.

Goodmonkey thanks for your reply
firstly I hail from Eatons Hill in QLD the Anderson Plug is for a caravan so I am looking at 30 Amps absolute max for an initial surge if the battery is very low + the van is equipped with a 3 way DC to DC fridge so that is around the 10 Amp continuous the DC to Dc charger is only a 25 amp.
My back ground is as an Avionics Maint Engnr so am comfortable doing the work.
Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 05-22-2019 Thread Starter

Anderson Plug wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmonkey View Post

Goodmonkey thanks for your reply
firstly I hail from Eatons Hill in QLD the Anderson Plug is for a caravan so I am looking at 30 Amps absolute max for an initial surge if the battery is very low + the van is equipped with a 3 way DC to DC fridge so that is around the 10 Amp continuous the DC to Dc charger is only a 25 amp.
My back ground is as an Avionics Maint Engnr so am comfortable doing the work.
Thanks again
post #5 of 6 Old 05-22-2019
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2016 V6 TDI
Why not use a normal caravan connector plug/socket - in Europe we now use a single 13-pin plug/socket which has fridge and permanent battery supply both rated at 25 amps - oversized cables in car and caravan will reduce voltage drop to a minimum.

2015 (16MY) Touareg SE 258 bhp
post #6 of 6 Old 05-22-2019

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Garage
My 2014 had a spare fusible link under the hood which connects to the battery. I used an XT90S connector since it's smaller, has anti-spark precharge, and rated 90A.

https://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f...ss-286507.html

I also installed an XT90S in the trunk, using a flip top cigarette lighter housing to integrate it into the interior panel. I ran 8 awg wire to the battery, there was a spare 60A midi fusible link there too, I added a 30A maxi fuse.. You can feed a fish tape from the trunk to the battery without taking much of the interior apart.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7886.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	580.6 KB
ID:	223377   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7890.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	693.0 KB
ID:	223379  

Name:	IMG_7898.jpg
Size:	951.1 KB
ID:	223381   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7900.jpg
Size:	581.2 KB
ID:	223383  

Name:	IMG_7901.jpg
Size:	691.3 KB
ID:	223385  

2014 Touareg Tdi

'03 Range Rover HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

90kw Siemens AC induction motor
Home built drive inverter
33kWh Lithium pack
90k electric miles since 2008

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode