Club Touareg Forum banner

Connecting Anderson Plug wiring 2011 Volkswagen Touareg V6 TDI 7P Auto 4XMOTION MY12

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  etischer 
#1 ·
New to this Forum and am looking to acquire a 2011 Volkswagen Touareg V6 TDI 7P Auto 4XMOTION MY12.... my question relates to connecting in an Anderson Plug wiring with the electrical system. Since these vehicles have a smart alternator, as I understand it. its lees than desirable to connect direct to the battery terminal. The info I have indicates that the battery terminal has a sensor that allows the ECU to charge the battery and when charged control the charging voltage/current for the vehicle systems load and that it where I understand the termination should be made for the Anderson Plug. Since the battery is well hidden under the seat I think the direct battery feed terminal is located in the LH side of the engine bay. If that is correct which particular termination should I connect it to.

Thanks in advance... Regards

#2 ·
What are you attaching an Anderson Plug for? Is it for a winch? How much current are you looking at drawing? That data could be helpful as well.

Also, as this is your first post, where are you hailing from?

#3 ·
What are you attaching an Anderson Plug for? Is it for a winch? How much current are you looking at drawing? That data could be helpful as well.

Also, as this is your first post, where are you hailing from?
Goodmonkey thanks for your reply
firstly I hail from Eatons Hill in QLD the Anderson Plug is for a caravan so I am looking at 30 Amps absolute max for an initial surge if the battery is very low + the van is equipped with a 3 way DC to DC fridge so that is around the 10 Amp continuous the DC to Dc charger is only a 25 amp.
My back ground is as an Avionics Maint Engnr so am comfortable doing the work.
Thanks again

#5 ·
Why not use a normal caravan connector plug/socket - in Europe we now use a single 13-pin plug/socket which has fridge and permanent battery supply both rated at 25 amps - oversized cables in car and caravan will reduce voltage drop to a minimum.

#6 ·
My 2014 had a spare fusible link under the hood which connects to the battery. I used an XT90S connector since it's smaller, has anti-spark precharge, and rated 90A.

https://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/...harger-xt90-quick-connect-harness-286507.html

I also installed an XT90S in the trunk, using a flip top cigarette lighter housing to integrate it into the interior panel. I ran 8 awg wire to the battery, there was a spare 60A midi fusible link there too, I added a 30A maxi fuse.. You can feed a fish tape from the trunk to the battery without taking much of the interior apart.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.