Brake Service.....Corrosion - Club Touareg Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By noobytoogy
  • 1 Post By buckwheat

post #1 of 5 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Touareg: 2016 V6 FSI
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Brake Service.....Corrosion

No secret here in Canada we like our road salt, and now for the past few years in Ontario our highways get coated with brine instead of rock salt. The brine and associated dust when it drys gets everywhere on a vehicle and has cause new problems for many brands such as corroded fuel and brake lines.

On all my other vehicles and usually at the 2nd service interval, removal of the callipers, cleaning the brake components and applying fresh lube is a ritual mainly because of the salt.

My 2016 Touareg, now with 60,400 Kms has never had the brakes serviced. I had taken it to the dealer last month at 58,000Kms for the major service and had noted to the technician that I found the brakes were not as responsive and were creaking and groaning......RED FLAG here.

When I picked up the T after service I was told the brakes were fine and I had 7.0mm of pad left all around. I asked if they cleaned and lubed the brakes and they said no, it wasn't needed. I though okay, maybe it's all in my head about the poor brake performance.

I drove for another month and then decided to take it to a local garage that I've dealt with for years, first time bringing the T there.

The mechanic called back and told me the back brakes were badly rusted and need disassembly, cleaning and lubing. On the front, both sides had the inside brake pad seized in the calliper, preventing the calliper pistons to retract, and the inside of both front rotors were badly rusted, and will probably need to replace them if they don't clean up enough with a sanding disc.

I called the VW dealer (Owensound VW) back and their response was at the time of my service, (one month and 2,000KMs ago) the brakes were fine. I asked if or when do they recommend servicing brakes, their reply was we don't unless the customer requests it as it's not required. I didn't bother to argue with their bullS**T and made a mental note of their incompetence....never to return.

The jist of this rant is to forewarn those who live in a rust belt to get their brakes serviced. Fortunately my callipers can be saved, and I only need front pads.

Now I'm starting to wonder if I should get the vehicle sprayed to prevent rusting. My 10 yr old Honda still looks like new with no rust anywhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Before you fit the new pads get your mechanic to measure the thickness of the front rotors.

The wear tolerance before they are not serviceable is 1 mm on each side.

There is no point in fitting new pads if the rotors are worn close to their limit - you might as well start afresh.
Candubrain likes this.

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA & facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 & facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7 [Not available in "VW Atlas" North America!]
Read Wikipedia:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

T1 & T2 buyers MUST read:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Use Google or Bing to search by typing in: site:
followed by what you seek
The Following User Says Thank You to noobytoogy For This Useful Post:
Candubrain (4 Weeks Ago)
post #3 of 5 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
I'm a little shocked that your unit is that corroded at only 60k.....
I have gone ahead and gotten mine Krowned even though I'm somewhat skeptical of the effectiveness of the spraying....
My 2010 Jetta has never been sprayed, and now at 250k it's rusting.... so if the Krown helps a little, I'm willing to waste $300/year on it.....
I'd really rather not have the Touareg rust while I still own it....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Touareg: 2016 V6 FSI
No No, I wasn't meaning the Touareg is rusting, only the brakes. But I am concerned and debating whether to Krown the VW as I have with the Honda which still looks like new.
post #5 of 5 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2016 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
I think there are some rust liabilities with these cars. While mine is currently at the dealer getting a new DPF (another story for another thread once I get full resolution) the dealer is going to see if the Volkswagen will warranty rust on the tailgate. I presently have 5 spots coming up underneath the intact paint. This in a state with a road commission that claims they only use enough salt to keep their gravel stock from freezing to itself. A body shop said the entire tailgate should be replaced, but the dealer says if it is covered, the warranty will almost certainly only cover sanding and repainting.

The plastic cladding on the rockers is a point of concern for me as well. Spray them from the top side, and eventually you get mud coming out of the bottom. I've never taken one off, but it seems like a recipie for serious corrosion.

On a positive note, I am at 75,000 miles with no rust on the brakes and the original pads still have 8mm of lining left all the way arouind.
Candubrain likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode