auto transmission failure - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 5 Old 02-19-2019 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2004 V6
Second Vehicle: too many to list
auto transmission failure

Found a couple of similar threads but couldn't find one quite like my problem.
Summary: Tranny works in R but not in D, S or tip mode

04 v6 auto with 120k

Car drove fine for about 10 minutes on highway when revs shot to redline like it was in neutral but still indicated D and 5th gear. There was no thud or anything like that. Pulled over and it wouldn't go lower than 3rd and engine speed still ineffective. Tried tiptronic and it will indicate 1 then without doing anything goes to 2 then 3 but no motion.
While stopped moved from D to P back to P, felt a light (as in normal) thud as the tranny engaged, but no movement. Can feel the tranny as it shifts through gears while sitting stopped at the side of the road from 1 to 2 to 3. Always seems to stop at 3.
Regardless I get no forward motion anymore.

HOWEVER, if i put it in reverse it acts normal, as in it goes backwards (yay, i think?). SO that eliminates a broken CV joint or Driveshaft, and transmission fluid is probably fine.

One thought, it's been having more dead battery issues lately (needing to get jump started about once every two weeks). I'm wondering if this might be an electrical issue (could the jump starting or dead battery cause issues or even damage to the transmission computer module?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-20-2019
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
I don't know if this is your issue but here goes anyway.

Underneath the slider panel that surrounds the gear lever there are either one or two magnets (can't remember number) that actually operate the gear selection.

These have been known to come unstuck and cause loss of gear selection.

There are threads on here about it.

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA & facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 & facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7 [Not available in "VW Atlas" North America!]
Read Wikipedia:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

T1 & T2 buyers MUST read:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Use Google or Bing to search by typing in: site:
followed by what you seek
post #3 of 5 Old 02-20-2019
Multiple v10tdi owner

Touareg: 2004 V10 TDI
Second Vehicle: 2004 V10 TDI
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankvan View Post

One thought, it's been having more dead battery issues lately (needing to get jump started about once every two weeks). I'm wondering if this might be an electrical issue (could the jump starting or dead battery cause issues or even damage to the transmission computer module?)
Sounds like a new battery is in order...

I bought a 2004 and drove it home (about 1000 miles) and after about an hour everything went crazy. Transmission problems etc.. looked under the seat and a battery that was half the size of the required battery was installed by the used car lot... replaced the battery and the problems were gone.

Donít know if it will help you or not but it sounds like it is needed anyway?

3 V10TDI's: (2)2004 Black/Black, Silver/Black and 2004 V10TDI in 1990 Corvette
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 02-20-2019
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blownvette View Post
Sounds like a new battery is in order...
I second that..... especially since you're boosting it all the time!
post #5 of 5 Old 02-20-2019 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2004 V6
Second Vehicle: too many to list
Next day update:
put on battery charger all night, started up fine, engaged D and drove it on to flat bed truck.
Took it to 3rd party vw mechanic, had it all day...
installed new battery, reset "everything" through his fancy OBD2 computer thing and seems to be running like a charm.
B+ alternator cable seems fine so he suspects it's a factory nav/radio issue? He says if the abttery drain issue continues to pull the fuse for the radio, but then we don't get cruisin tunes.

Now for my other car with a failed tranny - if anyone has any helpful hints on how to separate a driveshaft from transmission output shaft (bolts removed, shaft won't come out of the "cup" that it sits in, no edge to hammer on, soaking two weeks with penetrating oil - audi b7 a4)(not loving german cars presently...)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode