2014 Treg 3.0 TDI - Coolant loss - Overheat - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 23 Old 05-01-2019 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2004 V6
Second Vehicle: 2014 V6 TDI
2014 Treg 3.0 TDI - Coolant loss - Overheat

I brought my Treg to the dealer with an overheat story. Of course, what I describe to the service desk never gets through to the mechanic. My overheat was on a hill climb 3+ hours into a drive into the high sierras of CA. I requested a coolant flush with my regular service appt...they tell me that the Treg holds pressure and they test drove it and found nothing wrong. I tell the service desk, why did you test drive it? You couldn't possibly have recreated the condition on a local drive.

Over the next few weeks, I continue to slowly lose coolant and I overheat again on the 5hr+ trip into the sierras. I describe it to their desk again and meet with technician, he says "It's gonna be a tough case." I left it at that and did some good 100k maintenance of my own t-stat, water pump, belt. Problem persists, slow coolant loss.

Last weekend, I overheat a third time and prior to taking it in for a service, I deploy my new air purge tool and see that the reservoir is not holding pressure. I report this to service desk, it it written on my work order. I call to see how its' going 4 hrs into my service and tech had reported to service desk that my car is holding pressure and the service should be over soon.

Is it possible that a positive pressure test would seat the failing gasket, where a negative vacuum pressure test would fail?

I drove straight down to meet with service manager and he brings in his head mechanic. We cordially discuss my failed test and their description of a passing positive air pressure test. I show them my air purge tool and request that they flush my coolant and report on the coolant reservoir holding pressure in a vacuum. I had to describe my overheat to them again, since they had mentioned a road test and the codes being non specific, they even ask me if I really overheated, like I imagined boiling over the reservoir and spattered all that coolant around to deceive them?

The head mechanic asked if the temp gauge just went up a little or did it redline? I accused him of wanting me to torch this engine. He complained that it could be a number of things and that I might be dissatisfied with them for replacing the turbo or EGR and not fixing the problem. They know full well I have an extended warranty but they want to avoid condemning a part and being wrong about it. Why wouldn't they just want to get it right?

If it is the turbo, they should be able to isolate it and presure test it? Same with any other component like the EGR? Everyone I speak with says head gasket, like it is obvious. The dang codes should even tell them which bank is losing exhaust into my coolant since P011300 Intake air temp bank 1 sensor 1 circuit is high and P220100 NOx performance Bank1 sensor 1. I also have P023800 Tubocharger boost sensor (A) high inpiut, P010400 Mass or Volume Air Flow intermittent.

Head mechanic looks at these codes and say, your scan tool is aftermarket and these codes are non-specific. It could be anything...this is when he started saying he would be guessing if he condemned the turbo...and I would be disappointing we wasted money on it.

Anyone want to render an opinion?

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -Ghandi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 05-01-2019
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2016 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Garage
post #3 of 23 Old 05-01-2019
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
Do you not have a cell phone that can take a video next time you are seeing signs of overheating?
Can you not drive your vehicle without adding coolant (you keep mentioning coolant loss) until so much of it vanishes that it throws a code or constantly overheats?
You mentioned extended warranty.... so since the dealer is the one that just serviced the cooling system, and you have documented history of reporting overheating during multiple visits, I would just drive it until it overheats constantly and then take it in.... even if it blows up, you have enough proof to get it covered under warranty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 05-01-2019
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2016 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboABA View Post
I would just drive it until it overheats constantly and then take it in.... even if it blows up, you have enough proof to get it covered under warranty.
Part of me thinks he should do just that. Beat the piss out of it until it explodes and tell them look mfers i brought it here how many times?
post #5 of 23 Old 05-01-2019 Thread Starter

Dealer called today to say I have a small leak in my radiator. I have never observed fluid on ground. How could they miss this with their multiple pressure tests? I did sustain damage a few months back to splash pan but nothing appeared to be close to radiator, I think trans oil cooler would be lowest. In any case, that Dragline armor is looking real nice to me today. https://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f...te-287629.html

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -Ghandi
post #6 of 23 Old 05-01-2019 Thread Starter

RE VIDEO: I did this 2nd time it overheated and showed them the video of my needle bouncing from 220-280 doing 55mph at 1500rmp in Mojave.

RE Taking it it overheating...they told me to do this, problem is, once it cools off, I refill and drive normally for hours after. I can't recreate this in LA basin, need a steep hill. I drive to SD 2hrs no problems.

post #7 of 23 Old 05-01-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04_sti View Post
Part of me thinks he should do just that. Beat the piss out of it until it explodes and tell them look mfers i brought it here how many times?
They want me to torch it...MFERS!

post #8 of 23 Old 05-01-2019
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2004 V8
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Garage
I was losing coolant slowly from my Q7, about a liter every few months. No drips, leaks and I, like you had the dealer do a pressure test and they found nothing, I even had them check the EGR cooler, like another user here found on their Touareg. Nadda. Now, I could smell coolant, after a long drive and knew it was doing something. I've been monitoring it for months now, and just adding as needed, hoping whatever it was A. became visible or B. killed the engine (Of which I told my service advisor I was hoping for, before it strands me on a roadtrip!) extended diesel warranty would get me a new engine.

Searching, searching and searching more I found on the Audi forum, what seemed to be a known issue of the coolant caps leaking and venting prematurely... Well lo and behold I order a new cap, and I don't smell coolant anymore and I'm sure I won't be adding fluid (its only been a week). 1J0121321B

2014 | AUDI Q7 | V6TDI | CARRARAWHITE | S-LINE | PRESTIGE | AIR SUS | WARM PK |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Cayenne TT Sways |
2009 | BMW 335D | V6TT | CRIMSONRED | DAKOTA BLACK INT | MSPORT | COLD PK | PREMIUM PK |

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 23 Old 05-01-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Built4Sin View Post
Searching, searching and searching more I found on the Audi forum, what seemed to be a known issue of the coolant caps leaking and venting prematurely... Well lo and behold I order a new cap, and I don't smell coolant anymore and I'm sure I won't be adding fluid (its only been a week). 1J0121321B
My reservoir cap is fine, it holds pressure through the first few turns of me letting the steam off. Didn't know it should vent

post #10 of 23 Old 05-02-2019
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2014 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: VW 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracked366 View Post
RE Taking it it overheating...they told me to do this, problem is, once it cools off, I refill and drive normally for hours after. I can't recreate this in LA basin, need a steep hill. I drive to SD 2hrs no problems.
I never told you to add coolant to it.....
You won't be able to get an engine replacement covered if you blow it up due to a leaky rad..... the rad is not part of the emission system.
It doesn't matter that you banged stuff up while offroading... debris can fly in through your grille and damage your rad, or if it's on the engine side, then it's most likely a result of some butcher service, etc.....

Replace your rad before you really cause yourself some massive issues.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode