2013 TDI Executive Fuel Pump Implodes - Club Touareg Forums

post #1 of 9 Old 02-22-2019 Thread Starter

Touareg: 2013 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Still looking
2013 TDI Executive Fuel Pump Implodes

First major problem with our purchased new 2013 TDI. 119,000 miles. Unfortunately we were 1000 miles from home in Florida when on I-10 going 70 MPH the car bucked a couple of times and died. We were able to safely coast to an exit. Got a tow to the local VW dealer who quickly determined the fuel pump imploded sending shrapnel thorough the entire system all the way to the fuel filter. There was no warning of any sort and did not even get a check engine light after the failure.

Fortunately we were up to date with maintenance and had the emissions update in 2017 and the extended warranty. All the maintenance is covered but am out airfare and rental car expenses. Car should be repaired by tomorrow or no later than Monday.

No way to avoid this problem but anyone have ideas of anything to look for after repairs completed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-22-2019
Touareg Guru

Touareg: Still looking
Second Vehicle: is not a VW
Failure of the High Pressure Fuel Pump - HPFP - is a known issue that is not unrelated to the following:

Poor quality diesel with poor lubricity.

Buying fuel from a retailer who doesn't turn over their stock and may also have water in their storage tank.

Misfuelling with gas.

Regularly running the fuel tank under 1/4 full.

The engine doesn't use all the fuel delivered to it by the HPFP and the excess is returned to the tank via a small cooler.

The cooler is needed because when the pump pressurises the diesel it heats it up.

However the return process also relies on returned fuel being cooled by the contents of the main fuel tank so if that is low the fuel just gets hotter and hotter.

Tdi owners should ALWAYS treat 1/4 full as Empty!

When the pump grenades it floods the entire system with shrapnel.

Others who have experienced this have had everything in the fuel system replaced including the tank and have reported costs of up to $16,000.

VW Touareg models are as follows:
Generation 1: T1 is model 7LA & facelift T2 is model 7L6
Generation 2: T3 is model 7P5 & facelift T4 is model 7P6
Generation 3: T5 is model CR7 [Not available in "VW Atlas" North America!]
Read Wikipedia:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

T1 & T2 buyers MUST read:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Use Google or Bing to search by typing in: site:
followed by what you seek
post #3 of 9 Old 02-22-2019 Thread Starter

Thanks for you reply. Good stuff. Mystery continues we rarely let the tank get much below a half and try to purchase fuel at what appear as "high volume stations" and always use a well know diesel additive discussed here frequently.

The replacement parts list for repair is huge. VW is planning to "flush" the entire system including tank. Will discuss Monday how they ensure tank is clean of metal shrapnel. Got very lucky having the emissions warranty considering the parts and labor cost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 02-22-2019
Touareg Enthusiast

Touareg: 2016 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Other
Sounds like you made out okay, especially getting off the road safely.

I suspect the market will one day be flush with 120000 mile TDI Touaregs.
post #5 of 9 Old 02-23-2019
Touareg Mechanic

Touareg: 2016 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: too many to list
What additive had you been using? This the first HPFP that crashed with the proper care being given that I have heard of.. Did the dealer analyse the fuel? Good you have the extended warranty. I have a new 2016 so I am very interested. My 2012 was flawless until I traded in for the emission issue.
post #6 of 9 Old 02-23-2019 Thread Starter

Fuel additive PRI-D PRI Products ? Advanced Fuel Treatment Very low dose and targeted more for commercial applications than retail. Must emphasize all maintenance was completed by VW. Car never abused. At least 2/3 miles of the 120,000 miles are on interstate at 70 -80 MPH. Failure remains a mystery. Car performance is excellent with and average fuel consumption of 26-27 MPG.
post #7 of 9 Old 02-23-2019

Touareg: 2009 V6 TDI
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
First major problem with our purchased new 2013 TDI. 119,000 miles. Unfortunately we were 1000 miles from home in Florida when on I-10 going 70 MPH the car bucked a couple of times and died. We were able to safely coast to an exit. Got a tow to the local VW dealer who quickly determined the fuel pump imploded sending shrapnel thorough the entire system all the way to the fuel filter. There was no warning of any sort and did not even get a check engine light after the failure.

Fortunately we were up to date with maintenance and had the emissions update in 2017 and the extended warranty. All the maintenance is covered but am out airfare and rental car expenses. Car should be repaired by tomorrow or no later than Monday.

No way to avoid this problem but anyone have ideas of anything to look for after repairs completed?
So I'm confused. It sounds like the pump(s) under the rear seats that supplies the fuel through the fuel filter before it goes to the engine is what gave up....I say this because the fuel filter has nothing to do with the HPFP on the engine.....if the HPFP on engine exploded, then the fuel filter shouldn't come into play as it is before the HPFP, not after. When the HPFP grenade's, it fills the high pressure lines, fuel rails & injectors with metal shavings, not the fuel filter. Anyone else catch this statement ?

2009 Touareg Highline 3.0L V6 TDI with a bit more
post #8 of 9 Old 02-23-2019
Touareg Addict

Touareg: 2008 V6 TDI
Second Vehicle: Can't afford one
Wouldn't the return line from the high pressure accumulator (rail) back into the filter contain contaminants from the destruction of the HPFP?

TonyB

MY08 V6TDi, Atacama Grey, Air Suspension, Bi-Xenons
Enhancements: OEM Paddle Shifters, OEM Tow Pack, OEM LED load Module, Red Arc Tow Pro Elite Brake Controller, Icom IC-440 UHF, 6 Spot 17Z Front Brakes, FM100 Aux fuel filter + water alarm, Pro Vent catch can, 20" Road Tyres + spare, 17" A/T Off-road tyres + 2 x full size spares, AG Custom alloy underbody front+ centre+rear alloy protection plates.

MY08 V6TDi, Campanella White
My first Touareg love affair, found a new home locally.
post #9 of 9 Old 02-23-2019

Touareg: 2009 V6 TDI
Garage
The rail return is so small it is the size of a small needle because of the 20k + rail pressure. Nothing is going to get past that. Also the inj's will catch any/all of even the smallest particle, so can't get past them.

2009 Touareg Highline 3.0L V6 TDI with a bit more

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club Touareg Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode